THE NAME OF THE NEXT GREAT CFL QB IS........

BERNIE MORRIS HE PLAYED AT MARSHALL UNIVERSITY HE WILL BE THE NEXT CFL QB FOLLOWED NATE DAVIS OF BALL STATE THE NEXT GREAT CFL QB'S

The next great QB will be Teale Orban, who played with the U of R Rams and is a can't miss prospect...

Ritchie Williams

not Printers

I WATCHED TEAL ON FILM TO BE HONEST....I THINK HE WILL NEED A FEW YEARS TO ADJUST.I DONT THINK HE FACED THE DB'S ON THE LEVEL THAT HAS COME OUT OF THE NCAA I THINK HE A LONGSHOT BUT YOU NEVER KNOW

So does this mean Bernie isn't good enough to make it in the NFL?

think he will get cut......but he a long shot for the nfl but he more of a cfl player

Maybe the first great Canadian QB.

kel

Russ Jackson was one of the greatest QBs of any nationality to play in the CFL.

Joe "King" Krol was another great Canadian QB, and maybe one of the greatest to ever play the game.

Russ Jacksons career numbers are about to be eclipsed by one Dave Dickinson making him a little less great. And Joe Krol has already enjoyed that distinction as Dave passed him years ago. Dave, an import, isn't exactly a superstar, nor has he ever been one but he has been questioned right and left regarding his abilities, establishing a new standard of what's good and what's great pertaining to CFL QB's.

Dickinson is merely an average non-import CFL QB next to fellow NI's Damon Allen, Anthony Calvillo, Ricky Ray, and Danny McManus all of which were GREAT QB's of his time. So apparently considering the new established standard there were GOOD Canadian QB's but that also means there were never any GREAT ones.

Jacksons(NI) Career

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=54

DD's(Import) Career

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=18]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=rost ... &ros_id=18[/url]

kel

I have often wondered....is it harder for an American QB to get used to all the motion and the extra defender or is it harder for a Canadian QB to get used to the higher skill level? It seems that other than the odd situation most QB's are given a couple of years to get used to systems and even then they have high INT levels because of needing to track an extra defender. I would think not having to teach someone about all the nuances of movement and 12 defenders would give the coaches more time to build the skill level.

The next generation of QB's is starting to shape up with alot of the current starters getting older. We have Richie Williams in Hamilton, Buck Pierce in BC, Ryan Dinwiddie in Winnipeg and hopefully Orban pans out in Sask. Jyles seems to have alot of upside to.

I wouldn't want to downgrade Dave Dickinson's career as he is an excellent QB.
However, the league has changed a lot since Russ Jackson's playing days and now. Many more opportunities to pad the passing stats because there is much more passing now and as well more games per season.
I have seen them both play many times and IMO there is no comparison. Russ Jackson was just a more talented athlete than Dave. Stonger arm, accurate passer, much better runner, tougher(probably an inch or two taller than DD and around 200 lbs)and probably one of the smarter QB's to play in the CFL.
I wouldn't put DD in the top ten all time CFL QB's on my list no matter how high his stats become.

As far as the next great CFL QB, I don't know. I'm still looking. Casey Printers has a chance to be great if he returns to his 2004 form and plays long enough. With the NFL grabbing many of the smaller good NCAA QB's now, its becoming more difficult for the CFL to sign those CFL type players.

Russ Jackson has to be rated as one of the best CFL QB,s of all time. As well as being a great passer, he was a very effective runner which made him a double threat. If I were able to go back in time and select one QB, who with majic, could be transformed into a young QB, my choice would be Russ Jackson. He could pas and run with the best and, considering his value to any team as a non import, he has to be the best CFL QB of all time!!!!!

So. Will Kerry Joseph go down in history as one of the leagues top 15 or 20 QB's of all time, being that he shares many aspects of the position that you've illustrated? I think not my friend.

kel

Comparing today's stats with those of a player from another era is really an unfair comparison. You have to look at their performances in the context of their day. How many cups did they win? How many big games?

Both Jackson (8th) and Krol (46th) are on the TSN Top 50 list. Dickenson may show up on that list some day but he hasn't yet. And you can poo-poo this list if you like, but it really does a pretty good job of reflecting the top players from the modern era, and I have little doubt, considering all who voted, that serious thought was put into who should be on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSN_Top_50_CFL_Players

Context (from Wikipedia): "At the time of his retirement following the 1969 Grey Cup he was third all-time among all quarterbacks in the CFL, then behind only Sam Etcheverry and one-time team mate Ron Lancaster."

That's pretty lofty company, and which clearly makes him one of the greatest.

Krol won six Cups with the Argos (nearly half of their total victories and the most productive period of their 134 year history). It's pretty hard to argue that he wasn't a great one when he had success like that.

I should also remind that in their day players often made more money in the CFL than they did in NFL, so they weren't generally playing against patsies and rollovers.

If he plays for another 5-7 years, wins a couple more Cups (including being MVP for one), and is named the league's most outstanding player three times he just might.

Just so you know, I was yanking on sandusky's chain a little..

I like the idea of Teale Orban being the next great canadian idea but i'm pretty sure it was just a PR move to avoid the Clermont and Leason screw up years ago.

The next great CFl QB will be Drew Tate.....picked up by the riders last year...41 games in IOWA 61 Td's and over 8k yards

QBs in Canada really didn't face the best competion
in Kroll's days, the 40's and early 50s, rpaege.

Far fewer imports were allowed [from 3 to eventually 12?]

and all the Canadian players were trained in Canada

Football training and competition levels
were well below what was available in the U.S.

Don't take this wrong.

Our players who excelled back then
played against the best competition
that was available where they lived

They would likely have also excelled
if they had gotten all their training
in the U.S. and competed over there.

Actually, the way the rules stand now, there is no value to having a non-import at QB. Using a Canadian at quarterback doesn't allow you to play an extra import elsewhere, since QBs are exempt from the import ratio.