The most perfect football game

80% canadian
10% NFL
10% completely new to both rules.

People shouldnt be so afraid of anything NFL that they refuse to consider any rule change that might resemble whats done in the NFL. Consider suggested changes for the football merit, or lack thereof, and ignore whatever is done in NFL. IE: if the NFL didnt exist, how then would you judge a suggested change to CFL?

Preach on brother preach on I say. :rockin: Still we have to end up with two games in the end I think.

But hey if our champs played each other we'd have to agree to universal rules for that game right? :smiley:

I hope to see that in my lifetime, but it will take so much to make it happen. :roll:

North of the border I say 75% CFL 10% NFL 15% Rugby Union & New:

Keep the field, the three downs, the 12 men, all men on offence being able to roam anywhere after the snap, the single with reforms, no yards with reforms, field goal returns regularly, multiple men in motion on offence, etc. :smiley:

South of the border I say 70% NFL 15% CFL 15% Rugby Union & New:

Keep our field, keep our four downs and 11 men and fair catch, ineligible receivers downfield (subject to reforms I would push), 5-yd bump-and-run, etc. :smiley:

I like that the CFL game flows better than the NFL game and its more versatile kicking and special teams. :thup:

I like that the NFL game rewards more physical play on the defence than does the CFL and the four downs and the RedZone concept. :thup:

I may not agree with everything you say, but I will fight, as long as I dont get hurt, for your right to say it 8)

Paolo, would you not agree that, given some of the truly special athletes in the NFL, that they would be truly electric on a larger field? Imagine Chris Johnson or DeSean Jackson if they had enough room wide to actually beat someone around the corner.

Art could you explain the NFL rule on pre snap motion, watching the Colts it looked as if the whole O line was moving around as well as all recievers, rb, and QB? has the NFL changed the rule? re your Q Ricky William,s seems to be a better RB in the NFL than he was in CFL. Doug Flutie compared CFL speed as equal to NFL .

Personally, I think the best things in the CFL’s favour are the longer field, the wider field, and especially the deeper endzones.

Paolo, would you not agree that, given some of the truly special athletes in the NFL, that they would be truly electric on a larger field? Imagine Chris Johnson or DeSean Jackson if they had enough room wide to actually beat someone around the corner.
Thanks for the kind words Artie and FootballYouBet I'd fight for your right to say it too mind you.

In our only imaginary scenario for now with some wide gaps to fill to make it happen,

Keep the CFL field for the game for sure, but if you were to played under compromise rules for that exhibition game

four downs for the NFL to show up no question or it would not happen.

Then everything else would be worked out such as with the following examples, but the above I would think would be the chief spoilers on which many could not even agree.

The CFL game I think like many do is more open, so the NFL would gladly accomodate more openness I think so long as certain rules are also changed for the unified exhibition such as these for example:

Keep the single except for non-returnable kicks that do not touch the ground before going out-of-bounds (rugby union inspired in part)
Add the 5-yd bump-and-run instead of only one as allowed under current CFL rules
Keep even the no yards rule unless the ball touches the ground and no fair catch
Line up at the ball not one yard away (rugby union inspired too)

All other CFL rules remain intact and apply otherwise.

As it is an exhibition game, no OT in case of overtime. No way will there be any agreement on OT anyway the way I see it assuming we even got that far on having such a game under some unified rules!

"In our only imaginary scenario for now" _ For now?? RE- The most perfect football game_______ Canadian rules as they are . adopting American rules would lead to more American rule,s until the Canadian rules became extinct- IMHO

In terms of the NFL pre-snap motion rules, here’s how I understand them:

Prior to the snap, any offensive player who is not on the line of scrimmage is allowed to change positions by going in motion, meaning that running backs, the quarterback and, in some cases, wide receivers and tight ends are allowed to move under the NFL Rules for “Man in Motion.” They must arrive at their new destination and be set for one for second before the snap (although considerable latitude is generally extended to this “set” part of the rule). However, offensive linemen who are already set in their stance and receivers who are on the line of scrimmage may not go into motion.

A team is penalized if an ineligible player moves, more than one player goes into motion at the same time (often called an illegal shift), the player in motion moves towards the line of scrimmage or if they are not in the set position long enough before the start of the play.

In terms of how this relates to the Colts pre-snap motion, I can’t say, as I don’t recall any specific plays where I thought something was odd. That’s not to say there were not such instances, I just don’t remember them, sorry. I know all of Peyton’s wandering about probably gets close to a motion violation (particularly the moving toward the line of scrimmage part), but to my knowledge they’ve never called this.

Also, o-linemen who are not yet set can move ie: turn around, point, etc. (although not go in motion).

Contrast this with the CFL, where there is unlimited motion for players not on the line of scrimmage, and who can also be in motion at the snap, and moving towards the line of scrimmage. For slotbacks, this is often called a “waggle”.

In the NFL, players must set as Artie explained before the snap yet are allowed to move only due to crowd noise to hear the quarterback audible a play change and then must re-set according to existing rules before the snap regardless.

If in the referee's discretion they are not moving only to hear the play call due to crowd noise, penalties apply.

The latter would be the case normally with the offence of the home team, with its crowd almost always relatively quiet enough for all players to hear the audibles, and the opposite is usually true with the visiting team on offence.

In the Super Bowl, it was indeed a home game of sorts for the Saints due to far more abundant and loud fans down there, so that is why you saw the Colts offencive players moving a lot to hear Manning's frequent audibles.

For the NFL otherwise for sake of one idea I have had for opening up the game more akin to the CFL with its different rules on offencive motion, I favour allowing TWO players to go in motion, with only one required to set, and provided that neither is still in motion within the zone that is within two yards of either tackles at the time the ball is snapped.

Also for safety reasons no forward motion in that same zone, except to re-set to the tight end/wing back position offline, would be allowed by any players either excepted existing permitted shifts for up to three players between running backs, with the two or (rare) three running backs (the now uncommon in American football full-house, power I, triple I, or wishbone sets) resetting counting as only one of the permitted players as well.

Hey, they keep calling the Lombardi trophy a "world" title, yet only US teams have a chance at it.Universal rules, let us have a shot at your so called world title.Then we'll end this little debate over who's got the best players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4trn2lJxl00