The Mexican Draft

Apparently, according to Drew Edwards, there might be 6 players in Mexico who wouldn’t look out of place in a CFL camp. Hopefully the CFL will classify these players as Internationals and not ersatz Canucks .

The one concern for some folks might be that we would be allowing murders and other ne’er do wells to enter the country .I wonder what their solution wouldbe for this CFL crisis on the frozen tundra of Tim Horton Field ? (The voice- over for the last sentence would have to be NFL Film’s John Facenda.)

Pat Lynch (the old admirer of the “Voice of God”.)

Considering what happened with Manziel and other players now out of the league for legal run-ins, I would think that Ambrosie will ensure a full background check done on each potential player to ensure there’s no hypocrisy surrounding this process.

The other part of this I don’t get is Drew mentioned the league has not determined if these players would be National or International.

Josh Bartel is seen as a National - so I don’t see why players from Mexico wouldn’t be. However the idea that INTERNATIONAL only applies to the US doesn’t make much sense either.

We should consider calling these players Imports or Non-Imports.

By definition any player outside of Canada (National players) are International. Not sure how the CFL and especially the CFLPA could think of a Mexican as a National. I haven’t looked at the CBA definition in a while but I have recollection with Bartel it has something to do with NCAA training/playing (lack of) that would define him as non-import at that time.

Per the CFL site. I guess Bartel falls into one of these:

The following Players shall be classified as National Players (formerly non-import):
(a) Canadian citizens at the time of signing of the Player’s first contract;
(b) A Player classified as a non-import prior to May 31st, 2014; OR
© A Player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five (5) years prior to attaining the age of eighteen (18) years.

A Player is classified as an International Player (formerly import) if the Player is one other than one referred to in the definition of a National Player (formerly non-import).

So in reality the CFL could consider Mexican players as Nationals to make it more enticing to sign them - something that would likely not go over very well during CBA negotiations.

I think Bartel is grandfathered because he was considered NAT at the time he entered the league, under the previous rules. If he joined today he would be INT.

He was classified as a National because he had zero gridiron football training in the USA.
He is a former Australian Rules Football player.

I assume this is under the old rules and old CBA?
If an Aussie Rules player joined tomorrow he would be considered an International?

I remember Australia came into play… isn’t because Australia is part of the common wealth and so are we?

Bingo. Bartel began playing prior to the new CBA therefor he’s still considered a National. It’s the second note listed in the definition.

As for Mexicans being considered Nationals, that’d be a stupid move that I disagree with 100%, but the fact they haven’t defined it yet and are already having this draft doesn’t leave me with a great feeling.

Just wouldn’t make sense why change the rule/term to clearly define National = Canadian and International = Outside of Canada

What else does International possibly mean if Mexicans aren’t included in the definition?

Be nice if they had decided this yknow, when they signed the agreement… Or let the public in on the big secret

Tiger Cats pick two running backs and one wide receiver. There were four kickers picked in the draft.

https://3downnation.com/2019/01/14/who-cfl-teams-selected-in-the-mexican-draft/

Well, that was fast.

I would have guessed more kickers would be selected. It is possibly the one position where Mexico may have an advantage over us, given the popularity of soccer.

No… they picked a WR, a RB, and a LB.

This one from the League says 2 RB’s

[tr][td]5[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]José Humberto Noriega Montiel[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Artilleros[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]14[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]Omar Alejandro Cojolum Delgado[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Mayas[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]23[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]Luis Humberto López Tinoco[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Condors[/td]
[/tr]

Nice to see someone so ever to make a correction to an original post. Check the CFL website your " wrong " two running back and one wide out. Check your sources.

CFF might have seen the 3 Down Nation article which has a different player listed for the Cats in the 3rd round. A linebacker. Somebody screwed up.

23rd overall pick, Hamilton Tiger-Cats, LB,Oscar Enrique Olivares

ROUND 1
[tr][td]OVERALL[/td]
[td]CFL TEAM[/td]
[td]PLAYER[/td]
[td]POSITION[/td]
[td]TEAM[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]1[/td]
[td]EDM[/td]
[td]Diego Jair Viamontes Cotera[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Mayas[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]2[/td]
[td]OTT[/td]
[td]José Carlos Maltos Diaz[/td]
[td]K[/td]
[td]Fundidores[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]3[/td]
[td]MTL[/td]
[td]Enrique Gerardo Yenny Romero[/td]
[td]K[/td]
[td]Borregos ITESM Tol[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]4[/td]
[td]TOR[/td]
[td]Uriel Martínez Bernal[/td]
[td]DE[/td]
[td]Tigres UANL[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]5[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]José Humberto Noriega Montiel[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Artilleros[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]6[/td]
[td]SSK[/td]
[td]Rene Francisco Brassea Valenzuela[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Fundidores[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]7[/td]
[td]BC[/td]
[td]Octavio Noé Gonzalez Chapa[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Fundidores[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]8[/td]
[td]WPG[/td]
[td]Sergio Shiaffino Pérez[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Dinos[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]9[/td]
[td]CGY[/td]
[td]Andres Salgado Gómez[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Condors[/td]
[/tr]

ROUND 2
[tr][td]OVERALL[/td]
[td]CFL TEAM[/td]
[td]PLAYER[/td]
[td]POSITION[/td]
[td]TEAM[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]10[/td]
[td]EDM[/td]
[td]Daniel Carrete Landeros[/td]
[td]LB[/td]
[td]Dinos[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]11[/td]
[td]OTT[/td]
[td]Guillermo Alberto Villalobos Zanabria[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Mexicas[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]12[/td]
[td]MTL[/td]
[td]Diego Rojas Kuhlmann[/td]
[td]OL[/td]
[td]Borregos ITESM Tol[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]13[/td]
[td]TOR[/td]
[td]Jose David Casarrubias Santiago[/td]
[td]DE[/td]
[td]Leones UAMN[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]14[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]Omar Alejandro Cojolum Delgado[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Mayas[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]15[/td]
[td]SSK[/td]
[td]Carlos Sebastián Olvera Rivas[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Aztecas UDLAP[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]16[/td]
[td]BC[/td]
[td]Fernando Richarte Martinez[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Dinos[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]17[/td]
[td]WPG[/td]
[td]Eduardo Manuel Hernández Reyes[/td]
[td]S[/td]
[td]Aztecas UDLAP[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]18[/td]
[td]CGY[/td]
[td]Oscar Hugo Silva Reta[/td]
[td]K[/td]
[td]Dinos[/td]
[/tr]

ROUND 3
[tr][td]OVERALL[/td]
[td]CFL TEAM[/td]
[td]PLAYER[/td]
[td]POSITION[/td]
[td]TEAM[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]19[/td]
[td]EDM[/td]
[td]Jose Alfonsin Romero[/td]
[td]DB[/td]
[td]Artilleros[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]20[/td]
[td]OTT[/td]
[td]Maximiliano Soto Esquer[/td]
[td]DE[/td]
[td]Borregos ITESM Mty[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]21[/td]
[td]MTL[/td]
[td]Juan Manuel Márquez Tamayo[/td]
[td]CB[/td]
[td]Aztecas UDLAP[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]22[/td]
[td]TOR[/td]
[td]Chistian Alejandro Hernández Delgado[/td]
[td]LB[/td]
[td]Fundidores[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]23[/td]
[td]HAM[/td]
[td]Luis Humberto López Tinoco[/td]
[td]RB[/td]
[td]Condors[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]24[/td]
[td]SSK[/td]
[td]Francisco Javier García Ramírez[/td]
[td]CB[/td]
[td]Fundidores[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]25[/td]
[td]BC[/td]
[td]Gerardo Elias Alvarez Ovalle[/td]
[td]WR[/td]
[td]Dinos[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]26[/td]
[td]WPG[/td]
[td]Gabriel Amavizca Ortiz[/td]
[td]K[/td]
[td]Lobos BUAP[/td]
[/tr]

[tr][td]27[/td]
[td]CGY[/td]
[td]Guillermo Caldéron Leal[/td]
[td]DL[/td]
[td]Aztecas UDLAP[/td]
[/tr]

https://www.cfl.ca/wp-content/themes/cfl.ca/images/icon_mail_light.svg

GET ALL THE TOP STORIES FROM ACROSS THE LEAGUE DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX.

We’re going to need bigger sweaters or smaller print for the player names. But seriously, one interesting development is that Canadian university players now have an opportunity to play football in Mexico . A player development agreement allows for that possibility, I believe. I see that no defenders were drafted from the Murallas .

Pat Lynch (we live in interesting times)

The name plates will have to go up one arm across the back of the jersey and down the other arm . ;D

There is something about this US/Mexico/Canada pact that just doesn’t feel right to me. I fear that we may see a repeat of the US expansion fiasco of several years ago re-brewing, including some grief with the import/non-import or national/international ratios coming up again.

I’m hoping that it is just uncertainty over me not knowing what is actually taking place, or maybe it is an unrelated hang-over of the NAFTA business, but it just gives me a creepy, bad vibe.

Maybe someone can explain for me, in 25 words or less, how it is going to be a good thing for the CFL and for furthering opportunities for Canadian players?

Surprised at Edwards snark level on his CFL 2.0 columns.

When the story offers the opportunity he usually comes in from the left and makes it woke…

So resisting the chance write Canada as " beacon of hope and love something something immigration, walls, something something " is remarkable.