The Magic of Collaros

Ok, so we've all seen the posts over the years...from claiming Zach cannot play anywhere near a full season, to the Bombers are just lucky to win.

Well play & win is all he's done since joing this team. I have to put this stat out, because it is just crazy and needs to be talked about: Zach is now 23-1 as a Bomber. The only real loss was early in 2021 when the lost to Toronto in a shocker, yes they also lost to CGY, but that game Zach only played 1 series.

In this streak is a perfect 5-0 in the playoffs with 2 Grey Cups. Someone please tell me a better stretch that any team has had.

2 Likes

Collaros is easily the best in the the league right now, no question. But, just to be argumentative, I've got to say the QB situation in the CFL right now is not at a high point. Another member here (forgot who) brought up a very valid point in comparing this years crop of QBs with that of 2011. Many teams right now are playing musical QB, fans are dumping over their main man, & the situation in general seems to indicate we don't exactly have a premium batch of QBs on hand. I'm thinking if the QB situation were a little stronger both Winnipeg & Collaros's record might not be so absurd. I exaggerate by saying he's the "best of a sorry lot".

1 Like

Edmonton. FIVE Grey Cups in a row.

Now all we have to do is match that... :crazy_face:

Set your goals high young man! I like it!

1 Like

Some people think the Winnipeg O-line is pretty good too :wink:

1 Like

That might be downplaying how good the Bombers have been. But I can agree that Zach is not a "sexy stat" QB, but he is the perfect fit for this club.

2 Likes

No, BB are the class of the league, but perhaps with a new Ray, Allen, or Cavillo on the scene you may have lost a few more games than you have done over the last couple of years.

1 Like

The chemistry's there. As long as our O-line doesn't deteriorate any further this season I think Zack will continue to flourish here. I'd add some more beef to our interior just to be on the safe side going into the playoffs. A mighty NFL guard cut might be on the horizon.

1 Like

lets just hope that Rourke is that guy, for the future of the league!

1 Like

Any word on Dejarlais? He'd be a big injection of nastiness needed for that line! Also need some help at LB.
I'm thinking most of our 2nd half adds will be guys coming off IR like Demski, Couture & Alexander

I hope Rourke is one of many who'll prove over time they belong with the greats. Perhaps more of the QBs I seem to be dumping on here will elevate their game & prove I'm wrong, but even the fact BC is going with a very inexperienced QB is supporting my argument. In 2011 he may well still be watching & waiting for his opportunity.

There really is no arguement against what you're saying. There really is no great "star" QB right now. But sometimes going with Clements is better than Brock. That is how I would compare Zach.

3 Likes

Right now I think only Collaros & BLM rank as certain HOF members. All the rest still need to prove a lot to rank with these two.

1 Like

I'd be happy plugging a non-import into our linebacking corps... I think Biggie makes everyone beside him play better.

Dejarlais would be a great O-line upgrade. We won't hear much about his progress with the Patriots until NFL training camps open next month. If he gets back to us this season that would be almost unfair to the rest of the league. Our line would be the CFL's best yet again.

1 Like

Briggs filled in nicely for a game or 2 lastyear, not sure when he's off the 6 game. Briggs/Biggie/Rutledge? Not bad, I still would like a game changer there though.

2 Likes

Maybe Kyle Walters is working on it as we speak. Last year he and Danny McManus patched a lot of holes on our roster only to see others open up this year though free agency and injury. I have confidence that our talent scouts will find what Kyle's looking for before long. Maybe the players we need won't come loose until September. Until then we'll just have to put up with a perfect or near perfect record. :grin:

2 Likes

The bombers since 2019 were op the only reason they didn’t finish first during the season is bcs Nichols got hurt and streveler couldn’t throw for five yards. Had Nichols not gotten hurt they would have finished first and most likely won the grey cup in 2019 and probably 2021( maybe not in that much of a dominating fashion ) the overall bombers squad from top to bottom has been dominant

1 Like

Not sure I agree here....the Zach/Strev combo was a huge part of the 2019 GC. We'd still be a good team with Nichols in 2019 (prob not in 22 though), but Zach just brought more, right from the start it was evident. His strikes downfield to Adams for huge plays at big times, and his ability to scramble and still make a play were thing Matt was not great at.

2 Likes

I am thinking that Trevor Harris will likely be in the HOF as well. Although he hasn’t won the big one (neither did Dieter Brock), he has amassed some impressive career numbers and played a couple of epic playoff games.

That would surprise me, he's kicked around a lot. Personally, I'd be a little shocked, can't say he'd make my HOF.