the joy of Jesse

February 07, 2009
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator

Football 'business' may deprive fans of the joy of Jesse.

http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/509124

If, as seems inevitable, Jesse Lumsden signs
himself into another uniform later this month,

it will be a hollow and haunting occasion

for football fans in this city.

Even the Tiger-Cat organization
will feel a nagging sense of loss.

And if they don't, they should.

This franchise doesn't have much in the way of a face,
and would be losing the most recognizable one.

So we should resign Lumsden because the Ticats need a “face?”

How about making Porter, Setta, or Rodriguez that face?

They have just as much star power, and wouldn’t have the audacity to turn down a 150K contract from a team that stood by them while they were injured on the sidelines for practically half the games each year.

Enjoy Edmonton, Lumsden. Wonder how they’ll see you when you get injured three games into 2009?

Obviously Jesse either followed bad advise from Neil, or decided to take a gamble by not signing last year.

150K is a lotta of money for a)someone who has never rushed for 1000 yds. or b)never was able to play more than 50 % of his games.

In Edmonton (with Ricky Ray at QB) Jesse wont get 20 touches a game...and in fact will be expected to block and catch passes, two skills that Jesse really needs to work on.

At this point Jesse and Neil aare whistling in the dark if they expect 160K a year. Only the Argos are that dumb.

Reads like a eulogy...:s

Torn labrum, shoulder, ight ankle, knee ligaments, shoulder, clavicle…

And this guy was injured often playing in the woefully soft OUA too.

A great talent when healthy, but never healthy. Ti-Cats are doing what must be done.

Lumsden is correct, his "Canadian" status has hurt his career Esp the NFL. imho he will go to the Argo,s and all the Lumsden bashers will call him a traitor! Labour day 300 yds Cant wait!! :rockin:

Who says he's going to get $150K to sign elsewhere? Is that a rumour? Speculation about what he wishes he could get?

Steve Milton is right... if he goes elsewhere he'll either play often and well, or he won't. Based on performance to date, the latter seems likelier. It's certainly a sufficient likelihood that Obie was smart to secure Kenton Keith.

If Jesse says, that's great. If he goes and gets big money, then good for him. I'll be cheering for the Ticats and any RB's who carry the ball for us.

It seems to me that Jesse has always looked at the greener grass over the fence. $150 K would have given him the opportunity to play in his home town. He was twice turned down by the NFL-too bad he might have gotten the 150K a couple of years ago, that is…if he would have been healthy!

Ticats fans and the team will get over his departure very quickly. Mark my words. We're already used to him not being in the lineup so that won't change much. I say the team will be better without him. He won't be such an off-field distraction and the RB position won't be playing games with the ration all year. Kenton Keith is our man.

[i]Ticats fans and the team will get over his departure very quickly.[/i] Mark my words. We're already used to him not being in the lineup so that won't change much. I say the team will be better without him. He won't be such an off-field distraction and the RB position won't be playing games with the ration all year. Kenton Keith is our man.
Hmmm, much like Tiger-Cat fans got over letting Tony Gabriel and Neil Lumsden get away to star for other teams?

Maybe the reason Jesse didn't re-sign during 2008 was out of hope that he might have had a stellar 2008 season and garnered enough interest for another NFL shot this year.

how did his canadian status hurt him . what hurt him was not being good enough for the nfl and being hurt in camp. there are plenty of canadians playing in the nfl. the guy simply put is not a nfl calibre back he has too many flaws in his game that shouldve been corrected before university. there is way too much to put into a guy who will never amount to much more then a practice squad guy. ive seen very little joy of him here only frustration and how he actually hurts our team more th en helps with his canadian status. too often when he is hurt we have to move players around and because of him we lack consistency because we are always accomadating for his ratio. i for one couldnt care less to see him go he is easily replaced as he is maybe a top 8 back at best

I guess Kenton Keith was signed with the $150,000 Lumsden turned down.

Exactly!