The Infamous Fair Catch Incident

http://www.geocities.com/cfl_historical ... marick.htm

In his first game in the CFL an exhibition contest versus B.C. Vanover called for a fair catch, then watched as the ball bounced away and was recovered by B.C. in the Posse end zone for a touchdown. On the ensuing kick-off, Vanover picked up the ball, ran back into the endzone and out of bounds, unaware that this gave the Lions a safety.

The incident I remember, was when the Riders were playing the Gold Miners in Sacramento, pre-season game if I recall correctly, the Riders punted and the Gold Miner kick returner called for a fair catch. Ty Jones ignored the 5yd aresa and belted the returner as soon as he caught the ball! :lol: The Owner of the Gold Miners at the time was understandibly pissed at that play,lol. I can just hear Ty now to the returner--"welcome to the CFL!" :lol:

From the link you provided:

"-excerpted from: The Canadian Football League: The Phoenix of Professional Sports Leagues by Steve O'Brien pg.105

In his first game in the CFL an exhibition contest versus B.C. Vanover called for a fair catch, then watched as the ball bounced away and was recovered by B.C. in the Posse end zone for a touchdown. On the ensuing kick-off, Vanover picked up the ball, ran back into the endzone and out of bounds, unaware that this gave the Lions a safety."

I must be getting famous after all. :lol: :thup:

(Yes, that's me)

Following the season Vanover's rights were transferred to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as the defunct Posse player entered a dispersal draft. Vanover's career in the CFL was over however, as he was selected in the third round of the 1995 NFL draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. Following negotiations with his contract Vanover joined the Chiefs.
that sounds familiar, like what the Bombers did to a player recently. Looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree in the NFL as well.

and that's a funny story! what was the score of that game?

Sorry but I see a problems here!
Based on how it is written!

If Vanover(Is that his name?) called for a fair catch, did not touch the ball and it bounced away. BC could not have recovered the punt and scored. The no yards rule is in affect untill the ball is touched!

.....unless an onside player recovered it.....

… and the kicker is always onside (remember Jamie Boreham recovered his own punt last year?), so if the kicker recovered his own ball, it was a TD no matter if any other player was onside.

… of course, on a kickoff, that would be one fast kicker…

ya you will only have an inside player in a designed play and someone on the recieving team would(should) have been smart enough to jump on it.

I am also having trouble with the following Kickoff. Why would he runback into the endzone and out of bound? That is a safty in the NFL as well.

Its possible but highly unlikely that the punter recovers it. Every time I have seen the punter recover it it was after he shanked it.

BTW
Anyone can recover a Kickoff

That reminds me of the commercial the CFL did a couple years back. There were two kick returners (one of which is noticeably an American new to the Canadian game) discussing the "no fair catch" aspect as they were receiving a kick. The American returner caught the ball and immediately got clocked. Quite funny.

I think it came out the same year as the one featuring the "rouge" discussion.

I thought their wasn't any No Yards on the kickoff, since most players are behind the kicker when he kicks?

and it rolled into the end zone it sounds like, where the kicker or an one side player recovered the ball for the TD.

probably thought he was running back for the touch back.

Bottom line: I don't know what he was thinking!

Anyone can recover a kickoff as I mentioned in my previous post.

An onside player can recover the kick but 999 times out of 1000 the only eligible player is the kicker.

that's cool!

IIRC, it was Guilio Caravatta --- the kicker --- who recovered the ball.

As to the commercials about the rouge, they were the adidas commercials which only ran that one season. They were classic indeed.

any links to them online?

The incident I remember, was when the Riders were playing the Gold Miners in Sacramento, pre-season game if I recall correctly, the Riders punted and the Gold Miner kick returner called for a fair catch. Ty Jones ignored the 5yd aresa and belted the returner as soon as he caught the ball! Laughing The Owner of the Gold Miners at the time was understandibly pissed at that play,lol. I can just hear Ty now to the returner--"welcome to the CFL!" Laughing
That was actually BC in Sacramento at the first CFL game played in the U.S. with an American franchise. I was there. (105 degrees and ice cold Moosehead draughts in 18 oz cups were only $2.00! :P ) I didn't see the fair catch sign, but Ty Jones ran at full speed into the punt returner and put his shoulder right on his chin, leaving him prone on the field. One of the most dirty hits I have ever seen in football.

I always wondered why Ty ignored the No-Yards rule and just nailed the returner. If he held up his hand signalling a fair catch, that would explain it! Wrong league, dude!!

I dunno where you can find those ads, but I do recall them being shot at Ivor Wynne, as was the Timmie's chili commercial from 2001. ("Chili on a stick?")

Are you positive it was the Lions? Im pretty sure Jones was playing for the Riders at that particular time.