The Glen Alan Show Tune In

There Talking Ticats Football the Grey Cup Tune in to the The show

http://www.talk820.com/shows/886368

Mr. Braley stated a fact that was very informative regarding
the minimum[?] yearly seat revenue required for by a CFL team

He said that it is $8-10 million dollars

[ that would be from 9 league games and one exhibition game]

He gave an example of a $30,000 seat stadium
with an average ticket price of $30-35 dollars.

IMO, that price seems to fit the fan base here in Hamilton.

and yet, the Cats would be short $1.5 million of yearly revenue
from ticket sales if a stadium of only 25,000 seats is built

even if they fill the stadium every league and exhibition game.

Another point Mr. Braley made...

The CFL wants to roll over the Grey Cup Game every 8 years
to all the CFL cities but their stadium must have 45,000 seats.

As far as I am concerned, the fewer temporary seats
we have to put up to host a Grey Cup the better.

Of course, commercial investors wouldn't want to
cough up enough money for that at the Rheem site.

P.S.

Mr Braley said Molsons really helped out Montreal financially
when the Als moved out of Olympic Stadium to Molson's stadium

at Mc Gill University [ which only had 20,000 seats.] and he said,

as many people know, average ticket prices are much higher there.

Thats why its called Molson's Percival Stadium. I can't believe I read somewhere somebody saying Montreal's stadium didn't have a corporate sponser

Shades of Shea Stadium. I have no idea if the stadium was good or bad as reported but the airport traffic noise would have stopped me from going.

It was a good show but I disagree with Mr. Braley on one point. As much as I would like to go to Toronto to see the Cats play the Argos, it is not always feasible to do so (job, family, money, etc..) and the same would hold true for Argos fans. So if they decide to blackout games, well I'll just have to find other ways to occupy my time.

I did enjoy Larry's call and he made some valid points about Confederation/Centennial Park.

I think an average of $30 - $35 is a steal! I think $50 a seat average would be reasonable for only 9 home dates a year.
Try buying a decent ticket for the Sens or Leafs - $100 plus.
If the team wants to sell cheap tickets then put up some temporary stands in the end zone.
Molsons get some great advertising from Molson stadium!! I’m sure the money they contributed to the expansion will be well worth it for them.

[quote="AKT"]Thats why its called Molson's Percival Stadium. I can't believe I read somewhere somebody saying Montreal's stadium didn't have a corporate sponser

quote]

It's called Percival Molson Stadium in honour of a Canadian athlete and soldier. McGill University changed the name of the stadium in 1919 to honour Percival Molson. It has nothing to do with the beer company being a sponsor.

A very minor reason. Its called Molson stadium now for the most part. The fact is the name stays because the brewery wants it to

"Named in memory of Captain Percival Molson, a McGill University athlete and member of the renowned Molson family, he died in World War I and bequeathed $75,000 towards the construction of a stadium."

http://en.montrealalouettes.com/page/tickets_percival

Looksl ike it does have something to do with Molson's beer, albeit indirectly. Same family.

akt wrote: "Thats why its called Molson's Percival Stadium."

akt: Molson's Percival Stadium???? It's Percival Molson Stadium. The team's website also refers to it as McGill Stadium.

mikem wrote:

"I think an average of $30 - $35 is a steal! I think $50 a seat average would be reasonable for only 9 home dates a year......"

I agree it's a steal!   I gladly pay 55-65 for a seat when I come down.  

If the average price for a seat over 9 games with 25 thousand people in the stadium for each game was 40 bucks.....that would bring in 9 million. Right where David Braley said is the minimum annual set revenue.
I have not included home playoff games or exhibition games. I'm sure the team has other ways of increasing that figure.

On the same subject......there was an interview last week on The FAN590 about a concept known as "dynamic pricing" for sports teams. That's where a basic minimum seat price is set but it can be changed upwards if for example it was a special game (eg Labour Day) or the top team came to town (Yankees and Blue Jays, Montreal and Cats etc)...and of course playoff games. The guy being interviewed said many US teams are using that system. He also said the price increases don't affect season ticket holders but for everyone else the increases are usually no more than a few dollars a seat . Kind of a supply and demand thing.
I am not sure how it would work with a 28-30 thousand seat stadium and an 8 team league.

The Ticats already do this with Labour day game

Tom: Thanks.
Too bad Mike Kelly is gone. Just think of the extra bucks they could have charged for the opportunity to heckle him if he had been back this season!