THE EXPRESS...the Ernie Davis Story. Have you seen it?

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

I believe former Ticat, Jon Beutjer played a part in this movie.

Quite frankly, had Ernie not died of cancer...he probably would have wound up playing in Canada along with so many others...Johnny Bright, Cookie Gilchrist etc. and the list goes on.

Such was the case back in the 40's, 50's, 60's and even in the early 70's.

I'm looking to see if there is an reference to the fact that so many black football players came to Canada to play because they were not accepted well in their own country.

Racism wasnt the only reason players came to Canada. Often the CFL just paid more money.

But had Davis lived and played well he would have made a tidy sum in the NFL. He was offered 200 grand by Cleveland. An almost unheard of sum in the early 60s.

I agree with Woody. Also one of the best to come to Canada and play was Bernie Custis. He is still involved with the Ti-Cats.

Right you are!

However the overwhelming majority who came found that the quality of life here in Canada at the time was something they relished! Bernie Custis is a prime example!

Like I said...I'm interested in seeing this film and would like to hear other's thought's on the movie. As someone who grew up in the turbulent 50's 60's and 70's...I have some vivid memories of those times!

Canada played a major role in those turbulent social times!

Whatever happened to Buetjer anyway?

Doubt very much if Davis would have ever ended up in Canada. If he was as good as what I have read, he would have had a very successful career Stateside. The so called "color barrier" had been long broken in the NFL & AFL by that time. Of course that was for positions other than QB's! What I found interesting was that he was drafted by the Washington Redskins, and then traded to the Browns. The "Skins" were noteworthy as being one of the last, if not the last, to imbrace African American ballplayers. I wonder what went on in the boardroom that he was traded so quickly. Maybe someone can supply the answer here.

Anyway, looking forward to the movie, it has received pretty good reviews.

Does anyone know that there is a ticat connection to Ernie Davis?

Perhaps you would enjoy reading the story of Cookie Gilchrist who was signed by the Cleveland Browns in 1954, actually illegally which made him illegible for the many college contracts that were offered to him and then when they refused to play him ...he came to Sarnia to play!

All Well Documented!

This is a story not just about football, Jon Beutjer, Johnny Bright, Cookie Gilchrist, Bernie Custis or any of the many participants...but more about the changing attitudes of the times. :wink:

I was the Syracuse home opener last year when they unveiled a statue of Davis. He is a god down there.

The racism for the most part was when he travelled to the South to play.Where segregation was still law. Accross the US things were improving. Umpteen colleges accross the country were beating on his door with scholarships.

The backfield in which Ernie Davis Played was called the" Feds"-Fallon Easterly Davis Sarette(sp?)Two of which played for the Cats Easterly and Fallon.

Yes...once again you are absolutely RIGHT! However...it was the early 60's then and Johnny Bright, Cookie Gilchrist and Bernie Custis ...AND MANY OTHERS had already made inroads!

BTW...Cookie knew Ernie...they didn't live very far apart. Cookie was with "The Bills" by 1962. He and Jim Brown were the dominate RB's at that time!

Apparently Davis was drafted by the Bills of the old AFL that year as well. Him and Cookie would have been something to watch. Not to go off on a tangent and a subject best left for discussion elsewhere maybe, but I remember being in the States in the 60's, down South, and yes lines on the bus. (Yes I am a Graybeard) I can imagine how hard it was for athletes like Davis playing teams in "Dixie"

Bright was drafted by Phil. but came to Calgary for more money. Gilchrist also came north for the money. So, yes, Davis wouldnt have come here if the money was still good in the NFL.

Too bad the movie has to portray lies about wv fans and show them in an ugly way, considering it didnt happen by all accounts. They didnt even play in morgantown in 1959 and players from both teams who were there when they did play in 1960 said its lies, the riveting scene of rascist fans hatred never happened. pretty sad but expected from hollywood I guess. I expect small stuff to be changed as they have been, such as.........game scores(you would think they could use the real scores) and his nickname was the 'elmira express'. That stuff always happens but showing wv fans behaving in a way that just never happened is pretty low to make a buck. Its a good story but but could have been told without making up lies about people.
The quarterback of SU during that game, dick easterly said this after watching the movie preview: ""I apologize to the people West Virginia because that did not happen," Easterly said. "I don't blame people in West Virginia for being disturbed. The scene is completely fictitious."

http://dailymail.com/Sports/WVUSports/200810080283

The former TiCat, that Dick Easterly?

yup!

The racism for the most part was when he travelled to the South to play.Where segregation was still law. Accross the US things were improving. Umpteen colleges accross the country were beating on his door with scholarships.
[/quote]
Yes...once again you are absolutely RIGHT! However...it was the early 60's then and Johnny Bright, Cookie Gilchrist and Bernie Custis ...AND MANY OTHERS had already made inroads!
[/quote]
Bright was drafted by Phil. but came to Calgary for more money. Gilchrist also came north for the money. So, yes, Davis wouldnt have come here if the money was still good in the NFL.
[/quote]
Mr. zontar...I get your drift...trying to get another thread locked? Perhaps you should go back to "ticatfans" where you can talk to yourself 2 or 3 times a day and at the same time make fun of this website.

This movie is more about "the times" than football and perhaps it would be wise before anybody else makes statements about why people did what they did, what did or didn't happen, it would be wise to talk to those that WERE THERE and lived it.

google "the Johnny Bright Incident" I doubt the Americans would make a movie about it.

It's true that "Hollywood" distorts facts...happens all the time.

I'm looking forward to seeing "The Gridiron Underground"...a Canadian documentary on the subject of black football players who came to Canada to play...for yes...more money...more respect and most importantly to actually play the game and be appreciated not only on game day but all week long.

Cool. Didnt know he played QB. He was a halfback here.

sarette was the qb