The excitement of reopening and fans in THF

Since the announcement of Step 3 in Ontario, I’ve been curious what rules there will be and how the team will enforce them. I copied this information from the Gov of Ont web site . Looks like we’ll need to wear a mask, maintain social distancing (somehow). Not sure how the Ticats will handle ST holders current seating. ie. can a group of ST holders who are not family sit in their usual seats? Distancing isn’t possible doing so. Or is it ok because we need to wear a mask? How will the Ticats possibly enforce this during the event. Even standing in line will be an adventure with those who refuse to adhere to the rules. Still 7 weeks to Labour Day but I’m curious .
Facilities used for indoor or outdoor sports and recreational fitness activities
16. (1) Facilities used for indoor or outdoor sports and recreational fitness activities may open if they comply with the following conditions:

1. In the case of an indoor facility, the total number of members of the public permitted to be in the facility at any one time must be limited to 50 per cent of the capacity of the facility, as determined in accordance with subsection 3 (3) of Schedule 1.

2. The number of spectators at the facility at any one time must not exceed the following limits:

i. In the case of a facility that has a designated area for indoor spectators, 50 per cent of the usual indoor seating capacity, or 1,000 persons, whichever is less.

ii. In the case of a facility that has a designated area for outdoor spectators, 75 per cent of the usual outdoor seating capacity, or 15,000 persons, whichever is less.

iii. In the case of a facility that does not have a designated area for indoor spectators, the number of spectators in the indoor area of the facility at any one time must be limited to the number that can maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from every other person in the indoor area of the facility and in any event may not exceed 50 per cent capacity, as determined in accordance with subsection 3 (3) of Schedule 1, or 1,000 persons, whichever is less.

iv. In the case of a facility that does not have a designated area for outdoor spectators, the number of spectators in the outdoor area of the facility at any one time must not exceed 75 per cent capacity, as determined in accordance with subsection 3 (2) of Schedule 1, or 5,000 persons, whichever is less.

1. Every indoor spectator must wear a mask or face covering in a manner that covers their mouth, nose and chin, unless they are entitled to any of the exceptions set out in subsection 2 (4) of Schedule 1.

4. Every outdoor spectator must wear a mask or face covering in a manner that covers their mouth, nose and chin, unless they are entitled to any of the exceptions set out in subsection 2 (4) of Schedule 1, or are seated with members of their own household only, and every member of the household is seated at least two metres from every person outside their household.

1. The person responsible for the facility, or, where there is no such responsible person, the person holding a permit for the use of the facility must post a sign in a conspicuous location visible to the public that states the capacity limits under which the facility is permitted to operate.

2. The person responsible for the facility, or, where there is no such responsible person, the person holding a permit for the use of the facility, must,

i. record the name and contact information of every member of the public who enters the facility,

ii. maintain the records for a period of at least one month, and

iii. only disclose the records to a medical officer of health or an inspector under the Health Protection and Promotion Act on request for a purpose specified in section 2 of that Act or as otherwise required by law.

1. The person responsible for the facility or, where there is no such responsible person, the person holding a permit for the use of the facility, must actively screen individuals who enter the facility in accordance with the advice, recommendations and instructions of the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health before they enter the facility.

2. Prior to permitting any participants in an organized sports league or event to practise or play the sport in the facility, the facility must ensure that the league or event has prepared a safety plan in accordance with section 3.3 of Schedule 1.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph 4 of subsection (1), the references to “indoor area” in clauses 2 (4) (i) and (l) of Schedule 1 shall be read as “outdoor area”, and for greater certainty, spectators are permitted to remove a mask or face covering temporarily to consume food or drink, or as may be necessary for the purposes of health and safety.

(3) For greater certainty, but subject to subsection (6), every person in an indoor area of the facility must maintain a physical distance of at least two metres from every other person in the establishment except from their caregiver or from members of the person’s household.

(4) Paragraphs 1, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 of subsection (1), and subsection (3), do not apply to any part of the facility that is being used,

(a) for a day camp or overnight camp for children described in section 19;

(b) by a provider of child care within the meaning of the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014; or

(c) for the purpose of the provision of social services.

(5) For greater certainty, the facility must prepare a safety plan in accordance with section 3.3 of Schedule 1.

(6) Subsection 3.1 (4) of Schedule 1 does not apply to members of the public engaged in sports or games at facilities for indoor or outdoor sports and recreational fitness activities or to seated spectators at a seated event at such a facility.

(7) For greater certainty, the requirement to wear a mask or face covering set out in subsection 3.1 (1) of Schedule 1 applies to persons at indoor areas of the facility, unless they are subject to any of the exceptions set out in subsection 2 (4) of that Schedule, including the one set out in subclause (i) (ii) of that subsection.

1 Like

I expect things to be pretty normal like other stadiums have been.

Currently in stage 3 they are only allowed 15,000 max in THF. By August if the numbers are still good, the province will move past stage 3 which might mean they will be allowed full stadium capacity in time for the home opener on Labour Day. If fan capacity is still restricted in some way and the team decides to go to a lottery system for season ticket holders to attend games then I will be out as a season ticket holder if I can't attend ALL home games this season.

I could be wrong. but I thought I heard the Ontario stadium rules were 50% of capacity or 15,000, whichever is less, which would limit TiCat home games to 12,000.

It’s 75% or 15000 whichever is less. The rules state that masks must be worn. Same as some stadiums in the US where most (even though they were supposed to) did not wear a mask. So enforcement was not happening and I don’t know how they would try to do so. Also, on the concourses, how do you enforce it? Can’t wait to hear from the Cats in August. It’s a little early for them to communicate a plan to ST holders.

That's right 75% or 15,000 outdoors starting July 16. Looking at an Ontario timeline, we were Stage 1 for 19 days from June 11 to June 30, then Stage 2 for 16 days from the end of June to this Friday. So, if (BIG IF) full vaccination numbers continue to grow by 10% a week (in Ontario, were at 50% right now), Stage 4 should start July 29. I don't know what Stage 4 means in terms of the number of fans at an outdoor stadium, but I counting of being there on Labour Day.

1 Like

Stage 4 is not set by a strict date or timeline. Stage 4 should start two weeks after 75% of adults have two doses and hospitals and overall cases remain low.My calculations put that at around the middle of August. So yes, things could be better and less strict by September 6th. As a season seat holder I am selfishly OK with 15,000 reduced capacity. Baby steps.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just read the Ontario 'Roadmap to Reopen,' and there really isn't anything called Stage 4. It's a 3 stage plan.

1 Like

I track the active cases obsessively. Ontario is at 1,592 and has slowed down to about a 50 active case decline a day, although in the last 24 hours, we dropped by over 100. Your mid-August prediction looks good to me.
Strangely, I seen active cases increase slightly every day last week in Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

In about a week, we may see those numbers increasing, due to the re-opening. It may very well be the same pattern as before...

but the Road to Reopening does not say anything about the number of cases - just vaccination percentages, so we're doing great.

The health officials have said , over and over, the vaccination rates are one factor of many they are looking at. Positivity rate, active cases, hospital capacity are all factors as well.

1 Like

Agreed, most strongly, but the Ontario Roadmap to Reopening states only that 70% to 80% one dose and 25% fully vaccinated gets the province into Stage 3. This 'roadmap' is not the only factor public health officials are using, like you say, but it's the only thing I can find in print with real numbers that a member of the public like me can go on.
Imagine if the vaccines didn't work and 80% of us were fully vaccinated but 80% of us were still sick. Thank God, the vaccines are working.
It's been a game going on for more than a year where the goalposts have been constantly moving, so much so, I don't think the province should have given us this goalpost they call the 'Roadmap.' But the media and some of us too demanded goalposts.
Still Canada as a whole is third behind Australia and New Zealand for the least active cases per capita among countries whose health care systems are not so backward that they couldn't diagnose a case of Covid 19 if their life depended on it.

This article sums up some of the details
"Though it's not officially a step of its own, we still have to hit innoculation thresholds of 80 per cent of residents 12 and over with at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and 75 per cent of those 12 and over with two doses provincewide — with no public health unit having less than 70 per cent of its population fully vaxxed —before we can leave Step 3, which by the book must last at least 21 days"

'the period following Step 3 will simply be "a full opening with SOME public health measures, IF APPROPRIATE" ... according to Ontario's new chief medical officer of health.'
Thanks GI, but he's still hardly being definitive.

The key to good customer service is to under promise and over deliver.

By not promising to eliminate all public health measures, he can do so without having contradicted himself. He can't say that, though, as it would be potentially over promising and against the key to good customer service.

My personal feeling is that there will still be physical distancing and mask requirements any time you are in a congregate setting, especially if it is indoors.

The government and health officials have to realize that cases will start to go up by September. The more we open the more cases will start to rise. . My fear is we panic in November and the Grey Cup will be at risk, but If we can get to 80% fully vaxxed and get our most vulnerable a booster shot before December we should be OK.
We need to be proactive and get our health care system ready and keep some health measures in tact, masks for example. A rise in cases should not be a cause for panic and should not lead to more lockdowns if we do this right.
Go Cats!

I think it will be a long time before I'm comfortable not wearing a mask in a crowded area...

2 Likes

Active cases in Alberta have been declining every day for well over a month and have continued to decline the last 2 weeks
28 Jun 1261 cases
29 Jun 1132
30 Jun 1055
2 Jul 895
5 Jul 831
6 Jul 763
7 Jul 745
8 Jul 697
9 Jul 675

2 Likes

I probably overstepped - walking too far out west and including Alberta. But Manitoba is the province that is consistently going up day-after-day.
But just watch, they might prove me wrong today, like how Ontario's active cases have gone up 18 in the last 24 hours while Quebec has gone down 60.