The Evans experiment continues

Yes. Ditto. What you said. I am in complete agreement Krisiun.

Now go forth and awaken the others…

1 Like

I feel like we are on the verge of a breakthrough here, and yet paradoxically, as far as ever from actually getting there.

You’re not going to like this, but here it is: the QB alone does not determine the success of a football team. We (collectively) have been through this many times, and ultimately we are left with agreeing to disagree.

7 Likes

Winnipeg would not be 2-6 with Manziel at quarterback.

Kyle Walters would not have brought in Manziel at quarterback. Bartender maybe. But not quarterback.

2 Likes

Watching the Tom Brady docuseries called The Man In the Arena and he had a great quote: "I've always felt a quarterback's job is to not lose the game". Dane loses games. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of blame to spread around. But late in the game when it matters...Dane not only fails to get it done... he LOSES the game.

Maybe he needs more time. I certainly don't know who would be available to replace him over the next few years (maybe Adams?) but all I know is when the game is on the line Dane Evans is not the guy you want behind centre.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you… just wondering… did you guys come to the same conclusions when Zack Collaros was behind centre here (in Hamilton) just before he got turfed out?

1 Like

No, we all knew Zach was talented; can make any through on the field. Zach just repeatedly kept getting injured. Most of us thought Zach could come back and haunt us like Henry did - and so he did!
However Zach was getting paid a lot of money and we would have owed him a lot of money the year after.
When June Jones came in, he reconstructed the offence around Masoli and the speed of Banks and others. We found moderate success and Zach became expedible.
(We weren’t entirely wrong to get rid of Zach; as he was getting re-injured multiple times after being cut by cats - good to see he found a home in Winnipeg many years and many injuries later where the Oline can protect him).
Winnipeg was a completely useless team proir to Zach.
BTW Sask cut him too in favour of Fijardo, and he’s haunted them as well.

4 Likes

Zach was (is) a great QB. He got hurt and his return was questionable. If Zach had stayed healthy I do not believe the Cats let him go. I know many fans who hated to see him go. Of course there’s always critics, but let’s not compare apples to an orange who routinely coughs up the ball for 6 points the other way in the 4th Q.

3 Likes

For my punishment I’ve been forced to write this out 100 times:

I am not going to keep saying that the offensive line in Hamilton should’ve been better.
I am not going to keep saying that the offensive line in Hamilton should’ve been better.
I am not going to keep saying that the offensive line in Hamilton should’ve been better…

1 Like

There's a saying in flight school that applies to jobs with high information input. "When the bucket is full, stop pouring". Meaning, if you keep giving information to someone who hasn't processed the previous info you will actual cause regression in the process and reduce confidence, sometimes with cripplingly bad results.

I suspect this might be the case with Dane. His work ethic and desire is not the issue. It's his decision making (or lack thereof. I suspect his bucket was full a few weeks ago and the coaches continue to pour. He needs (at least) another off season, new weapons (preferably a tall receiver) and most of all a fresh OC in my opinion. But for this to take shape Cats fans will have to endure a season or two of misery.

There are no quick fixes for Dane or this O. He might do well in other city, he might not. I am all for finding a new QB as I do not think he has the football IQ to lead a team. It's a shame because his heart is as big as a mountain.

3 Likes

Maaax. Your team is great. But I’m growing a bit tired of you frequently coming into the TiCats forums to passive-aggressively inject Zach or some component of Winnipeg in almost every single post. Give it a rest.

6 Likes

I'm not ready to give up on Dane
Maybe this is a matter of Condell plugging Dane into a Condell Offence
Instead of Condell building an offense around Danes skillset

10 Likes

Yes. By constantly harping on your offensive line I no longer have anything new to add to the subject. I’ve run out of material.

Instead I’m going to sip my Tim Hortons Coffee and have another piece of toast. Any chance you guys can show up in huge numbers at the game this Friday to shout those Argos into submission? I picked the Cats to win. :beaver:

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Very well said. I have always thought the same.

I am pretty sure that if someone goes back & examines the 2021 Topics from this very same Tiger-Cats’ fan forum, there will be a very similar discussion comparing Jeremiah Masoli’s performance in Hamilton last year to Zach Collaros’ performance in Winnipeg.
BUT . . .
Everyone seems to have a very poor recollection of events in 2017. Zach Collaros was horrible in 2017. The Zach Collaros who was leading the Tiger-Cats’ Offence in 2017, was not the Zach Collaros of 2015, nor the Zach Collaros since he landed in Winnipeg at the end of the 2019 season. He was one of the main reasons why that team was losing in 2017. He was playing scared. He was not willing to stand in the pocket and keep his eyes focused downfield, while the defence was closing in. He was very skittish.
I have stated this before & I will repeat it again . . . I believe it was a very EASY decision for Coach June Jones to “bench” the handsomely paid starting QB (Collaros), because he was a horrible QB at that time. I also believe that “Consultant” Jones, & HC Kent Austin, must have had that conversation before Austin was forced to resign. I believe that Kent Austin must have recognized this as well, but through the combination of loyalty to Collaros, and the ultimate confidence in his own abilities to coach Zach through those difficulities, Kent Austin stubbornly decided to stick with Collaros . . . ultimately resulting in his own misfortune.
And let’s not forget that both Toronto & Saskatchewan arrived at the same conclusions, after Collaros had incurred a few more concussions, after Hamilton let him go.

For the record, I loved the fact that the Tiger-Cats’ O was lead by Zach Collaros (#4) in 2015. He was head & shoulders above every other QB in the CFL that season. But that version of Zach is not the same QB that the Tiger-Cats benched in 2017. There was very little resemblence between the two actually.

And having said all of that, I am very happy that Zach has re-discovered his joy & passion for the game, and has re-discovered his “courage” in the pocket, because all of that was missing for a few years there.
But all of this is old news . . . the current Tiger-Cats’ coaching staff is not concerned about Zach Collaros. They have to figure out how to get the best performance out of Dane Evans . . . and the solution involves more than just Dane Evans - yes, he has to be the leader for that O, but he cannot do it on his own.

10 Likes

Cheers. When your team is struggling I hope to restrain myself from constantly posting light humoured suggestions on how they can improve.

Be sure to keep the jokes alive when it’s your team struggling.
You’re a class act.

2 Likes

Prior to October 2019 (when Zach was traded)for almost 28 years the Winnipeg faithful were wandering in the woods. Guaranteed they weren’t posting the back handed shots (pretending to be humorous). Or maybe they think they should take their shots while they can; might be another 28 years before they are contenders again.

Nah! Maybe you don’t understand Maaax. He’s all over the ENTIRE CFL forum just having a great time making people laugh. Sometimes it gets way to serious and tense in here and all of a sudden here comes Maaax to crack us up with his sharp-witted humour. So what if he’s a Bombers fan? At least he’s not a Riders fan. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m not saying don’t have fun. I don’t mind good hearted trash talk either. I’m just saying there is no franchise in more pain than Hamilton (championship drought wise) and some threads should be a safe haven for venting without having to talk about the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Also, pick your spots. Cracking jokes and talking BBs in a Ticat thread is like telling jokes and talking about how hot your wife is at another guy’s wife’s funeral. At least wait for the wake.

And P.S. I agree. At least he’s not a Rider’s fan.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen and heard even Ti-Cat fans are cracking jokes now by about the half-way point of each 4th quarter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like