The Evans experiment continues

Aw geez. When the most charitable critique is, "they didn't play too badly"... I'm beginning to think that the performance bar is getting set too low for Dane Evan's comfort these days.

Could it be that things have been so bad for so long that it's starting to become 'normal' to force your most important player choose between hurried throws or a physical beating EVERY GAME?! Is that what you guys are trying to rationalize here?!!

1 Like

Not trying to rationalize anything. Just pointing out that it might be hard to create a thread where everyone will totally agree. But you're right. That might be my most charitable critique of last night's performance.

2 Likes

Masoli had a solid O-line.

I'd say it was mediocre at best last year.

7 Likes

But was it a 'solid' mediocre year at best last year? Personally I thought it was a 'so-so' mediocre year. Others might say that the mediocrity was 'middling'. One out of two average people felt that it could've gone either way. The statistics are jaw-droppingly neutral.

3 Likes

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

That was my reaction too. :grin:

Last year the Ti-Cats O-Line started off as a "highly incompetent" mediocre and eventually as the season progressed we managed to upgrade them to "standard" mediocre. At that point the heat was off the O-Line and the narrative switched to mediocre Masoli, Orlondo, Punter, Kicker, GMs, Bob Young and of course the concessions at Tim Horton's Field.

6 Likes

By gosh you guys really KNOW your mediocres. My 'mediocre' knowledge is very average. I'd kill to have your mediocre smarts.

1 Like

After all these years of mediocre we are experts on mediocres.

2 Likes

Golly, who wouldn't be?! And who wouldn't wanna be?!!! :grinning: :+1:

O-line, Saturday, second straight game with no QB sacks allowed.

5 Likes

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Your mediocre knowledge is 10% higher than mediocre.

1 Like

Yup , we wrote the book on mediocre . If we have an 8 or 9 win season in the Hammer it's cause for dancing in the streets and having a ticker tape parade.
When it comes to striving to be the best at being mediocre ? well then Hamilton is the place to be .

1 Like

You're probably right. I always felt that my average smarts were somehow better most.

Attempting to switch the conversation away from this very compelling & spellbinding, "who is more mediocre" diatribe . . .
I am wondering if the real title of this thread should become,
"The SHILTZ Experiment is Over "
Thoughts ??

1 Like

Actually the OLine played well against the Argos . Zero sacks and a decent running game . Fontana seems to have settled in at centre . Jordan Murray is second on the Colts depth chart at right tackle , so we won't be seeing him anytime soon . Kalinic is at 6th on the TE depth also with the Colts . Nikola may become available to the Cats soon .
We know Kalinic can catch . Burt hasn't been given any opportunities so far.
Evans , the thread title , needs to put touch on the deep balls and let the receivers run under them . His short and intermediate passes are crisp . He's a work in progress . The only way to get better is to play the young man .

6 Likes

You're completely right of course but it feels like Masoli all over again. We have a bad propensity for slow learners at QB.

No. It's the system he is in. Collaros, Masoli and Evans have all faltered here. Collaros in Winnipeg has proven that when surrounded by competent personnel then a QB will thrive. Winnipeg would not be 2-6 if Dane was there like his record is here in Hamilton.

4 Likes

And of course Winnipeg has an actual ground game, something that in Hamilton is barely an afterthought.

4 Likes