THE DON

Does anyone know why Don Matthews left the team last year? did he quit because of illness? Was he fired? I have heard much speculation but I would like to know the reality of the situation. It was a Matthews team that made the Grey Cup last year- indeed, with luck, they could have won this game. With The Don on the sidelines, would this have made a difference?

He said he was ill
Popp sais he was ill.
Herb said he was fired.

I take the word of The Don over Herb's anytime.

He stepped down. As far back as the 2006 training camp he was struggling with his health. The two coordinators, Chris Jones and Kevin Strasser = ran it.

He stepped down. As far back as the 2006 training camp he was struggling with his health. The two coordinators, Chris Jones and Kevin Strasser = ran it.

He was physically in very bad shape. He had taken to riding a cart around the field during practices because walking was too strenuous. Rumour also had it that he suffered from anxiety attacks and had to pump himself with tranquilizers before games. Not exactly encouraging even for a 65-year-old man.

I don't blame Don for stepping down. Health comes first. I do miss his leadership, coaching skills, and absolute disregard for the hacks who call themselves the Montreal football press (i.e. Jack Todd / Herb Zurkowsky).

I think it was is ticker or blood presure er something. I don't think we're nearly as good with him not around. Paup is a serious down grade!