The Devil's Greatest Trick...

If one remembers, Is having everyone believe (and convinced) that he (or she) doesn't exist. I use this reference for a distinct reason that directly relates to the 2013 Lions...

The current edition of the Lions would have everyone believe (and convinced...including many on this board like those in the other post by Gridiron Guru) that there isn't an isn't a big issue on this team right now and all will be fine. The truth, if you examine the 5 games so far this season, tells a much different, alarming and disturbing story. Let me elaborate...

First, in ALL 5 games this season, the Lions have been almost non-existent in the first half. That is, in first halves of all games so far, they've been outscored (or tied), have shown they're not ready to play that particular game, made careless mistakes that definitely relate to preparation more than execution and, furthermore, don't seem to be learning from these mistakes. We, as fans, were told after game 1 in Calgary, that there would be NO more "sleep-walking" coming out of and after the opening kickoff. This, unfortunately, CONTINUES to be the case. Who is to blame for this? Coaches, assistant coaches and so-called veterans of the team are responsible for getting players focused on the game. This has not happened. Why is the message not getting across to the players? What was the message given to the players about Toronto ? This leads me to my second point.

Second, much like the Vancouver Canucks have a problem with, when a so-called "weaker team" or "easy win scenario" comes up, the Lions play right in to the other teams hands. Tonight was a perfect example of this. The Lions had no less than 10 (TEN) days to get ready and prepare for Toronto...regardless of the fact that they didn't know much about Zach Collaros. Toronto's post-game interview with Collaros had him mentioning they had at least 3 really SOLID days of preparing, practicing and getting ready to execute what they thought was a great "game plan" against BC. Why were we not doing the same? And please, I don't want anyone telling me that they thought there was actually "good preparation" by BC for this game. Again, as I've mentioned in previous posts, when things are going well for the Chapdelaine's and Stubler's of the world, why don't we change things? There was some alterations in the two Deadmonton games but, arguably, Edmonton is not the best judgement of how well the alterations are working. Against Toronto today, the whole team floundered like a fish out of water. Lulay was running for his life on offense and Toronto had receivers so open that ANYONE on this board could have caught passes tonight. Back to the offense for a moment...

Third point...if I'm Winnipeg next week, I'm seeing two simple things I can do to SHUT DOWN BC's offense. Simply by blitzing BC consistently against an offensive line that is in the top three so far this season with giving up sacks and also spying Andrew Harris, you've taken away nearly all of BC's offense. Sadly, I would not be too worried with Shawn Gore...he hasn't caught a pass AT ALL since he's returned. Marco Ianuzzi may catch the odd pass against you but he had no speed and is more of a possession receiver (Akeem Foster would be in this category too). Other than super sub, Paris Jackson who is a great utility guy we can't do without, this leaves Nick Moore and Manny Arcenaux. I probably going to constantly put a cover 2 defense on one of these guys at all times and dare you to beat me with the other. If what I've said here is an overly simplistic, COMMUNITY FOOTBALL approach, it seems we've gotten to this point. Sorry Jacques, but creativity and adjustments have once again reared their ugly head against you. Back to Andrew Harris, I love this guy and am delighted that a local talent (I know he's from Winnipeg but "cut his teeth" in OUR BC Junior Football League with the Nanaimo Raiders) but he's being OVER-used. Is anyone else worried that he might be getting worn down with the fact he's carried the BULK of our main offense this year (if you take away Manny Arcenaux's huge catches to date)? Why does Jacques consistently leak him out to the flats? It is only a matter of time before some defender (like that goombah on Toronto tonight that cheap-shotted Nick Moore LOW below the back of the knees, needlessly and well after the ball hit the ground...not surprising that Toronto gets a HOMER call from the officials...another lack of integrity from officials that continue to find a new low. That call NEEDS to be made and it's a good thing Moore was able to walk after it) "waits in the weeds" for one of those infamous Lulay-Harris pass to the flats and then, KA-BLAM, Harris gets lit up like a Christmas tree. Ahhh, Jacques, how many times to we keep going back to the well? Diversity...and I'll end with this DEFENSIVE rant...

Final point, perhaps Stubler's defense isn't really that good after all. We are the ONLY team in single digits with sacks. A QB who had NO professional experience playing football before tonight, lights up the BC defense for 5 (FIVE) touchdowns (to our ZERO...which nobody on this board had mentioned). Collaros threw in to double-coverage in the endzone TWICE for touchdowns and made JR Larose (perhaps the worst safety in the league to date) look like a community football newbie. Adam Bighill was obviously never-told by coaches that you don't leave your feet when the QB pump-fakes. Keron Williams was getting pushed around like a tackling dummy tonight. And, can ANYONE tell me how Toronto receivers were consistently getting open by at least 10 yards tonight? Furthermore, a no-name REPLACEMENT running back (Steele) comes in and lights up the BC defense for MORE THAN 100 yards in one of his first professional games EVER. Did you notice how he and the rest of Toronto were laughing their bleepin' heads off to the TSN cameras on how easy it was for them.

Well, the BC plane must be home by now. Hope they had an interesting flight back home because I'm telling you that things will not be any different against the 1-4 Blue Bombers next Monday with the preparation they've showed so far in 5 games this season? Who will start taking accountability? Benevides? Buono? Chapdelaine? Stubler? Veterans of the team. Or, like the Devil's trick...

Maybe we've been tricked by a couple of second half comebacks in Games 2, 3 and 4 and...this team just ISN'T very good after all when they're exposed for who they are. Anyone know a good exorcist?

Dude, what does "If one remembers, Is having everyone believe (and convinced) that he (or she) doesn't exist" mean? One word: proofreading.

I agree with a lot of your points. Poor first half production, getting lit up by a QB, and a back, with no game experience...poor cover skills in the secondary...penalties on almost every kick return...no answer to the blitz...Lulay throwing another pick late over the middle.

And now Moore won't play against the Bombers tomorrow, probably due to that cheap shot he took in the lower back, delievered well after the ball hit the turf, late in the game by Toronto's designated cheap shot artist: number 10, Janzen Jackson. In case you're wondering: Yes, that's the same guy who concussed Gore on the dirtiest hit of the season, in the first meeting with the Argos.

No roughing call on either cheap shot...same old half asleep CFL officials.

-Dooger