The curse of the outstanding player award nominees

Anyone notice that winning an award nomination for the Ticats seems to be equivalent to a post-dated ticket out of town?

Some recent award winners who did not last much longer with the team:

• 2006: Tay Cody (reportedly), Rob Hitchcock
  • 2005: DJ Flick, Adriano Belli, Wayne Smith, Agustin Barrenechea
  • 2004: Troy Davis, Dedric Mathis, Dave Hack

Award winners (pre-2007) who are still with us:

• Jesse Lumsden, George Hudson, Lawrence Gordon, Julian Radlein. And that's it.

(Source: http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=page&id=4036)

Suggestion: If you want to build a fan base, try to keep your star players with the team. I understand that turnover is inevitable when the team underperforms, but from now on maybe we should try to get rid of the actual underperformers.

Even worse in my opinion is coach of the year curse!
I wish they's can that award...it should rather be team of the year ...

We really could just rename the thread "Curse of the Ticat" thread.

You dont have to be nominated for an award to be tossed aside here.

(ExPat) - 2006: Tay Cody (reportedly), Rob Hitchcock - 2005: DJ Flick, Adriano Belli, Wayne Smith, Agustin Barrenechea - 2004: Troy Davis, Dedric Mathis, Dave Hack

Award winners (pre-2007) who are still with us:

• Jesse Lumsden, George Hudson, Lawrence Gordon, Julian Radlein. And that's it.

Your research into this situation is very revealing, Pat, and your suggestion about hanging on to star players also makes sense.

Award winners faired very similar to non-award winners.
What have you done for me lately?

While this is not the most popular of the many "curses" that seem to plague our team, it is still alive and well.

Update: Strike the 2007 MOP and Defensive Player nominee from the roster.

Next up (?): Canadian (Lumsden), Offensive Lineman (Hage) and Rookie (Setta).

I will repeat my original suggestion: From now on, let's try to keep the better players, and ditch the weaker players. Not the other way around. So simple, and yet ...

I haven't updated this thread for a while.

The Class of 2008 has nearly been wiped out: Thompson (MOP and Defensive), Rodriguez (Rookie), and Setta (Special Teams). Survivors: Hage (Offensive Lineman), Mariuz (Canadian).

With L Gordon (2006) gone, Hage (2008, 2007) and Hudson (2006) are the only survivors from any of the nominees pre-2008. I'm not counting Barrenechea (2005) and Corey Grant (1999) who left and came back.

Class of 2009 still completely intact.

Great so not only do we get ripped off by not winning, but it's a jinx to the players who are nominated. Outstanding. Can we ask the league NOT to nominate any Ticats? :lol: