The CFL Player Ratio

Just thought I'd add respond to some of the complaints I read in this forum about certain players' recent performance. You know what I mean: Why don't we replace this guy ... trade for that guy ... why didn't we keep the other guy? But the CFL, like life, is never that simple. In each game CFL teams must dress the right guys to comply with the import/non-import player ratio. Here's what the League mandates, courtesy of http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_ratio

"Each team may dress a 42-man active roster consisting of:

3 QBs (no designation)
19 imports
20 non-imports

The 19 imports break down as follows:

16 imports
3 Designated Imports

The three designated imports are players who can play on special teams OR replace an import starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters must be non-imports. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of non-import players):

1 QB
16 starting imports
7 starting non-imports

Definition of a non-import: A player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate of 7 years prior to turning 15 or, if he’s a Canadian Citizen, was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of 5 years prior to turning 18."

Me again. :wink: So if Buono chose to move, say, Ryan Phillips, it wouldn't affect the ratio if we dealt him for another import DB. But if we wanted to swap him for a Canadian DB the GM has to take one import off the active roster somewhere else.

Here's a few recent examples. On September 6th ago Wally released Joey Elliot. Two days later it wasn't a big surprise for them to trade for another QB, in this case Buck Pierce, sending Akeem Foster to the Bombers Since Buck is a QB, he won't count against the ratio. Neither did Elliot. On September 11th import DT Adrian Awasom (the guy we got from the Argos for Khalif Mitchell, who's been tied up in Immigration limbo since June) was just moved onto the active roster, necessitating the release of another import DT, Michael Cosgrove. Good luck Mike, we hardly knew you. Thanks for your service to the BC Lions.

If you read the "Transactions" section of the Lions' website, you'll see all the player movement from week to week and get a better sense of why guys get moved.The GM tweaking the lineup is evident from week to week, to field the best lineup possible each week. If the Lions' three inside offensive linemen (Kabongo, Norman and Valli) continue to get torched, look for more player movement at those positions. All three are Canadians, the toughest kind of players to replace. That explains why Buono has stayed with them so long. If any of them were imports they'd have been give the apple and road map treatment weeks ago.

So before you write about changing a player's area code — which will probably force him to move, piss off his wife and force them to pull their kids out of school — consider which moves would be relatively easy to make, less than desirable, or all but impossible due to that pesky CFL ratio. With emphasis on the Canadian, eh?

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy: