The CFL marketing to a younger generation

A friend of mine brought his five year old to his first game (Redblacks) last season he tells me that the little guy has been asking every week when they’re going again.
The same thing happened when
I brought my nephew. I think any fan should take a youngster to a game if possible. It’s not going to fix the problem,, but it might help a little. And the bonus? You’ll both have a blast.

5 Likes

kids have a blast in Hamilton!

the face painting area always has a lineup, and the in stadium playground is always busy (well, until October games come around).

i find the 1pm and 4pm game time on a Saturday afternoon also really work for young fans.

4 Likes

Every team should look at what Hamilton’s doing here.

2 Likes

We went to the multicultural game back in July, and happened to run into my wife’s friend and her two kids, who had won tickets in a raffle from the Korean Culture Center. The kids were both excited. We ran into them at halftime too, and one was already lamenting that his mom didn’t want to shell out for tickets to future games. Felt bad for the little guy.

On the other hand, I took a friend and her twin boys to a game last November and they’ve already forgotten about it.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting those. Forgot how great they were. Too bad they killed off this campaign shortly after though. :slightly_smiling_face:

Way to squash my “take a kid to a game” idea!
(Just joking)

Heh, it surprised me that they’ve forgotten (though to be fair, I’ve only talked to one of the twins recently, so maybe the other remembers).

I still recall a family friend taking me to an Argos game at Exhibition Stadium around 1977.

1 Like

I’m a twin...Were from Montreal and moved to Ottawa after Bill101. Only problem is, he’s now an Ottawa fan.
I keep calling him a traitor. (At least he’s a good looking traitor.)

2 Likes
4 Likes

we need international competition at different levels to show Canadians can play this sport. don't know how to do this but it is something that may wake up a younger crowd. we used to have the Canam bowl for Usports but that wasn't followed through. What ever the solution or competition, CFL needs to take an active part. financial support also wouldn't hurt.

4 Likes

Higher learning at it’s finest :rofl:.

1 Like

Not sure why the CFL got away from that type of marketing?

Don’t want offend those Canadian NFL only fans I guess :thinking:

2 Likes

They can start by changing some theme music for their broadcasts.

Amazon Prime has an excellent theme music for their Thursday night package.

Also have theme music for the CFL over the years but that’s about 13 minutes worth.

Punchup YouTube for that one.

1 Like

Not identical I assume? Lol

2 Likes

Watch it funny guy....he’s the nice one.

2 Likes

The CFL is their own worst enemy at times when it comes to marketing opportunities.

3 Likes

It would help if U Sports Football had a game of the week on CBC instead of the Road to the Olympics that they usually have on Saturdays.

Also other University sports should be featured on either Sportsnet and TSN at least once a week.

TSN should just offer the 5 channels as national brands like Sky Sports does with their sports specific offerings.

Not sure why Bell and Rogers are alseep at the wheel most of the time when it comes to sports programming.

5 Likes

It’s the Schools that need to make the change. It has to offer full ride scholarships with the use NILs for students like in the States. It will draw better talent from the CHL and US Colleges for the Can. TV networks to take notice

2 Likes

Perhaps I also share your empathy, and perhaps some pain, with the temptation in such a moment to give “the old guy speech” to those meddlin’ kids in some attempt to inspire them. :laughing:

I’m being facetious of course, for there is no need and little interest by the younger generations in such audacious speeches much as perhaps we experienced when in our youth, but all the same beyond business it is important to be there and supportive of inquiring young minds also because we’ll be alive plenty more years to see the improvements in fan support.

2 Likes

My wife says I might not live much longer. Apparently “muffin top” is not a term of endearment.

3 Likes