The CFL marketing to a younger generation

Danny Galavan is my all time favourite. Nobody else could come up with classic
Phrases like “Savardian spinnaramma”. Bob cole had a great voice, but liked the Leafs a little much. He kinda lost his touch, and should’ve retired sooner.
Don Whitman was great.... as well as Dave Van Horn and Duke Snyder for the Expos..

1 Like

Thorne does Orioles baseball now. He has stated on Twitter he'd be interested in doing NHL games.

But, Thorne is 72 years young. That would be quite the workload announcing baseball and hockey games in back-to-back transitions even he stays local and doesn't do road games

1 Like

Still better than Bob Cole

C'mon, Thorne never got to say "They are going home" in reference to that famous Flyers/Red Army game in '75 like the way Bob did

1 Like

I remember fondly Thorne's calls during the 2002 Winter Olympics including especially "SCORE!" I'm happy to hear he's still around and do want him back for the NHL.

Shoot if the legend, whom you loathe :smile_cat: , Phil Esposito is still calling games for the Lightning on radio I do believe, no doubt Thorne at a younger 72 can do it for ESPN or otherwise.

2 Likes

I love Espo, but he sounds terrible and seems to get worse each passing year

1 Like

It's not a week of the two Cups being played together, but there is going to be a Football Week in Canada in a few weeks. Jim Mullin at Football Canada has put it together and is trying to get that exposure for the amateur leagues on TSN. Looks like no games will be broadcast in full, but we'll see if Sportscentre or the CFL-related shows do anything with it.

“This is the acorn,” said Mullin. “The tree starts to grow from it when we start getting away from this stupid virus and we can start doing more things on the ground.”

4 Likes

Wonder if When U Sports Championship games air on TV if alumni of the teams playing who are in the cfl could make good luck videos to teams to help grow the cfl since a huge portion of cfl players are U Sports alumni

2 Likes

Looks like lot of young people at the game in Ottawa tonight, a lot hanging around the end zone patio

2 Likes

Ottawa has a ton of younger fans.

it's the best stadium to see young, active, fun loving fans.

2 Likes

Ticats have a handful of fans near my age and younger. Though no doubt some just just go to games to socialize since there is standing room areas

2 Likes

Same thing happens at ticats Games but cameras rarely show that

1 Like

Oh the ticats get that same love.

Absolutely.

Which is why I feel at home in Ottawa

Winnipeg and Saskatchewan also look like great times.

2 Likes

Another reason why i prefer to be near the edge around stripley is always people in there 20s around there including sometimes people i went to school with

1 Like

question is, how much attention were they paying to the game?

2 Likes

Paying for a ticket or the attention to the game?

As long as they pay for a ticket, buy the $12 beers who cares.

5 Likes

Agreed. Having them there is a good thing.
Hopefully they keep coming back.

4 Likes

Doesn't matter.

As long as they are there, having fun, and spending money.

Paying attention to the game is not a requirement of attendance.

4 Likes

Plus, I'm guessing they can't help but pay attention when fun things are happening on field for the home side. And in the down times, they'll have fun socializing.

And once they get to the age when they're no longer interested in drinking and socializing so much, they hopefully have developed a strong connection to the team and the stadium experience and buy tickets up under the Northside roof (for Ottawa) with the other older fans. :laughing:

6 Likes