The CFL marketing to a younger generation

I do agree with football being the focus and using all resources to make it Canadian from the bottom up . I believe it's the best strategy .

I could be wrong but the half-time shows for Thursday were just a cross promotional venture they didn't cost anything and usually there is some kind of half time entertainment whether it's flying dogs catching frisbees or a
contest where people are blindfolded looking to find something where a diffrent promotional tool is used to sell something .

They really are just a add on for the people who remain in their seats they are not really a mass marketing approach for the CFL they are cross branding which scratches each others back it doesn't hurt the viewer at home .

Cross branding with as many other brands and official partners is required in building a modern sports league brand and being the official licensing partner for this or that all adds up to making a few dollars and making the CFL less vulnerable .

1 Like

The CBC needs to be privatized.

1 Like

The second the CBC gets privatized, the North gets cut off from the rest of the country. They start getting US(Alaska) and possible Russian programming. It's important to keep the CBC servicing ALL of Canada

2 Likes

I read that Global and CTV have stronger signals in North now

Folded,sold,privatised whatever it takes,just no more funding. But there must be lots of assets to sell.

When is that going to happen? In the next century or when the shareholders see fit on how much they can afford to lose in the signal upgrades. People don't have clean drinking water up north. Besides, the US and Russians have stronger signals. Glad to know you are willing to give up sovereignty just to save a few dollars

2 Likes

I believe sports is also as essential as any other programming as the CBC used to be the leader in sports broadcasting.

Not big on having tax money goes towards programming nobody seems to be interested in

Then watch the sports to justify the expense. Or you can set up military bases and patrolling nuclear submarines in the North to assert sovereignty claim to North from the US, Russia, Norway. it's cheaper and passive to keep a national broadcaster operating than brandish military hardware

1 Like

They already both have stronger signals over CBC

I don’t know, those Russians have pretty good tv. Don’t know if hinterland who’s who can compete.

1 Like

When did they boost the wattage?

This is more than programming. It's about asserting sovereignty in the North. if you have the people know things Canadian, they are Canadians and where they live is Canada.

2 Likes

I have been following this for years. There was a Conservative ,name slips mind this second,he basically ran on folding CBC,he got a lot of support but never quite made it. You can google the phrase IS THE CBC STILL NECESSARY,quite a lot of links going back to 2000 ish.

Yes CTV strong in far north,the argument that its still needed for the north is pretty weak

Isn't this what schools are for ? I mean if you have to rely on the boob-tube to tell you where you live then there is more to this than meets the eye .

1 Like

Don’t confuse “The CBC” with just being CBC television. It is much more than that.

If you listen to CBC Radio, you will learn a lot about Canada and Canadians. The good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly. Admittedly it tends to lean to the left, but, let’s be honest, Canada and Canadians tend to also lean to the left.

If you’re a radio type person, the CBC will give you the pulse of our country, and help you understand the heart and soul of its people.

2 Likes

amen to that. imo cbc radio is terrific.

1 Like

But the best CTV can do for Canadian programming is "Corner Gas" and it's animation reboot and that's about it. The rest is US shows or US filmed in Canada to get around CANCON

1 Like

The North doesn't get access to the best teachers and instructors to school kids up in the North. Those prospective teachers just want to stay in urban cities with all it's amenities. Both of my aunts devoted 35 years of her lives teaching in Northern Ontario. They saw a lot of young city teachers come and go.

Sometimes the kids have no interest to go to school because lack of opportunities in where they live. Northern kid's life is interrupted with alcoholism and suicide.

1 Like

You call my argument weak when you can't give me a name to justify your point and tell me to google it instead.

1 Like

Interesting . Thanks for the info .

2 Likes