The CFL Expansion Thread

That’s an interesting idea Xvys,

One school of thought would have it that Hamilton and moreso Toronto have struggled in Canada’s highest population centre so why water down the Southern Ontario market with another team?

Another school of thought might have it that certain populated and reasonably affluent regions of the country are indifferent to the CFL because they aren’t represented. Having more teams in these areas might have the ‘1996 Alouette effect’ on their respective regions causing an upswing in interest and participation in football and the CFL. London, Quebec and Halifax already have a football history and culture. Victoria, BC and definitely St. John’s, Newfoundland have little to no football history but who knows how planting a CFL team in these areas might react with the population?

I still think Halifax and Quebec are 1 and 2 on the potential expansion list. History would suggest anything beyond that if we ever get there is a 20 year proposition.

For a CFL that gets to 11 or 12 teams, soccer had better really take off in this country. We know the modern and future CFL is going to need stadiums of the calibre of the projects in Hamilton, Ottawa and Saskatchewan in addition to the recently completed builds or renovations in Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg. These projects are much easier to substantiate with 40 guaranteed dates as opposed to 10. NASL and MLS franchises blotted across this country (progressively working with the CFL in stadium development) would bode well for useful stadium development and a robust, bigger and competitive CFL.

1 Like

On that note. Definitely bring back the London Lords

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Lords

Not another poster taking the time to chide other users for discussing something that doesn’t interest him…

Its an open forum on the affairs of the CFL. There are plenty of topics I don’t care for or have said my bit in and have moved on from. Its not cool to try and make people feel bad for carrying on in discussion about the league. Even if certain things have been discussed to death, there are new takes on things, new developments and people new to the topic.

Enjoy your expansion team this year

1 Like
joedavtav wrote: For a CFL that gets to 11 or 12 teams, soccer had better really take off in this country. We know the modern and future CFL is going to need stadiums of the calibre of the projects in Hamilton, Ottawa and Saskatchewan in addition to the recently completed builds or renovations in Edmonton, Vancouver and Winnipeg. These projects are much easier to substantiate with 40 guaranteed dates as opposed to 10. NASL and MLS franchises blotted across this country (progressively working with the CFL in stadium development) would bode well for useful stadium development and a robust, bigger and competitive CFL.
Completely agree. :thup: Soccer, with more kids playing the sport due to economics for parents and the non-contact factor that parents like as well for their kids in this more safe oriented society, if you will, soccer is key.

On a different topic, I wonder how baseball fits into this? Just one pro team of any significance in this country but the Blue Jays are drawing well in an outdated bowl stadium with a team that hasn’t made the playoffs in a while. As I’ve said, I see way more kids wearing Blue Jay caps than Leaf caps, seems like MLB caps are really the cool thing for kids and older people to wear. I wonder if MLSE, despite the Jays having lost money for many years, wishes they had bought the Skydome for $25 mill and bought the Jays? :?

To stay on topic, one team out east in Halifax or QC would be super down the road and this is an objective the CFL should keep working on even if it never comes to fruition.

1 Like

Completely agree (y)

I can't see anymore expansion into the Soutern Ontario Area. Hamilton has already made a concious effort to expand their fan base to London, St Catherans and now Guelph.
If the Argos do indeed build a stadium outside the Toronto Dwontown core making a conciaous effort to expand their fan base to K-W, Guelf and also North of the GTA. Up to Kingston and everything inbetween.
The Argos should also look into having Training Camp on the Waterloo or Laurier, or even Guelf who was very cooperative with Hamilton.
As for the lack of a practice facility using U of York the same as Hamilton and MAc Relationship.

As forHalifax there seems to be a lot more cooperation and Major CFL Sponsor Scotia bank is already leading a charge for the corporate private sector.
Halifax will wait to see what happens in Ottawa and Hamilton and not just as a CFL example but as other events that would bring people into Halifax to spend money in Halifax economy.
Also taking a look at Calagary and McMahon Stadium set up for the one stadium for all concept that The Mayor and others are promoting.

The Womens World Cup, Pan Am games as well as the upcoming Grey Cup in Winnipeg should be something that Halifax should be looking at as they will be able to see that an investment in a pro stadium can do for the economy as a futre host of events.

IMHO Halifax will be coming around in the near future in regards to redeplopment including a stadium and cooperation between govt, Private sector, as well as the Universities.

Kingston is oddly Rider territory (thanks Rob Bagg) and more recently RedBlacks territory. I think we’ll see Ott try and claim it as theres considering they’re closer.

Quebec City is a much different monster than Halifax. With the new NHL Arena being built there is nothing for sure but with several NHL clubs in the south failing miserably more and more each year it will only be a matter of time.
Once that happens the hole that the Rouge et Or and the Remperts filled when the Nordiques left will set them in the minor sports that they are.
A new stadium could see a variety of private partners getting involved.
NHL and CFL teams make for a perfect sysnergy of an ownership Group and with Quebecor now involved look for them to be part of a stadium charge. The Impact and Joey Saputo will be looking for a USL Por franchise as their minor league team and Quebec City will be a perfect fit so look for the impact and Saputo family look to also lead a charge for a new outdoor stadium in which their Minor league team, a CFL team, and International soccer games not just passing through Montreal but alos QC.
Again it will take time but QCs hunger for a pro hockey team will spill over into other sports

Are you simply inferring this from the fact that Scotia Bank happened to host Cohon and Mayor Savage and business leaders in Halifax? Or do you actually know something? Or just one of your opinions stated as fact? Just curious…

I am not inferring anythink. Scotia Bank was there to talk with the local business community. That is why they were there…
Cohom spoke of CFL corporate sponsors getting involved with a Halifax project stadium and here is the Corporate sponsor.
Scotia Bank just did not happen to be there they were there for a purpose

Here is an interesting video on the London Lords football team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4U3O2gp9n9U

Incidentally the London Kickers football team made it to the ORFU semi-finals in 1885, losing to Ottawa 30-0. Ottawa Football team went on to win the ORFU championship. The Dominion championship game that year featured ORFU All-Stars against QRFU All-Stars in Montreal.

THANKS for this!!

But you forgot the most important thing - AN OWNER - do you think that Halifax or the CFL is going to run a team or bring a team in???

Absolutely correct 100% Surely building a 20,000 to 22,000 seat facility with life expectancy of 30 years is a joke.
THE CFL has gone big time for sure. Lets look at any progressive city that has resources and actually wants a cfl team…

• it will cost around $16 Million to $20 million to run a CFL team.

In this modernera of Sports where a big NHL or NBA club or both create a Sports and Entertainment Group and streamline costs in the front offices, cross promotion, synergy, etc.
It will be easier to find an ownership group to by a franchise or bring a new expansion franchise in.
Ottawa OSEG
Stamps Flames LLP
Argos much talke of joining the MLSE
Canucks S&E are looking to expand into other sports. Chirman has recently shown interst in starting an expansion USL pro team to be the WHitecaps minor leage team and if they buy the Lions(which I have no idea they are even interest but would make alot of sense if they did)

That would leave the CFL with only the Als, Hamilton with single owners

The Conference Board of Canada did a study a few years ago to see how many Canadian cities could support a CFL team (based on population, income, and other factors). They then ranked the cities based on their criteria. Here are the results: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/reports/b ... ng-11.aspx

Didn’t ScotiaBank end it’s sponsorship of the CFL?

But you forgot the most important thing - AN OWNER - do you think that Halifax or the CFL is going to run a team or bring a team in????
Commissioner Cohon said community-ownership might be a viable option in Halifax, like in Regina, Edmonton and Winnipeg, which are the most successful football organizations in the league. It would be nice if an Irving, McCain or other local billionaire stepped to own the team, but they're probably too busy counting their money. :wink:

But these major corporations could still be brought in as charter sponsors, for naming rights, ect, under community ownership.

I think the meeting with Cohon, the mayor, etc. was there to guage the interest and from whom would be interested in both a stadium and a franchise.
It is high priority of Cohon right now and he will help to look for the best combination.
With it now all being out there on the table the only thing to do is to wait and see what happens.
Like I said keep in mind that this is one thing that Cohon has wanted since he has become Commish is to get a team into into the only region in Canada which does not have a CFL football team.
In all the years of talks etc I do not remeber any Commish being this involved with Atlantic expansion.
Checking a lot of things of his to do list in the CFL this is one huge thing that he wants

I think that would be the ideal solution, only solution. But considering this city can’t organize a two car parade, don’t hold your breath.