the CFL and Police should be tougher against Scalpers

the Canadian Football League, along with the RCMP and (in this case the OPP) should take a much tougher stance against scalpers, whose sole intention is to buy tickets from the league.. or from other people and then sell them to make a profit.

now i'm not talking about the 1 guy who is stuck with 1 or maybe 2 tickets and sells them for face value or even $20 under the market price.

i'm talking about the group of guys who's sole intention is to walk around yelling "anyone selling tickets??"

then someone has a ticket or two and sells them for $20-30 less than what they paid.

he then turns around and walks to his leader and they then sell the same ticket above the market value. earning a nice profit.

It's illegal and it's dirty. those people should be ratted out to the police and arrested on the spot.

these guys admit that it's a business, they travel to different venues and all they do is llegal sell tickets to people trying to make money off of them.

I want the CFL to crack down hard on these idiots at the Grey Cup game. either you sell them legitimately, and fairly or get lost!

I LOVE watching these poor saps having to take a huge loss because they're stuck with 20 GC tickets.. or they're forced to sell them WAY BELOW what they paid for them.. morons.. :x :thdn:

Unfortunately, what you describe here isn't illegal unless they sell the tickets for more than the face value. It could be looked at as providing a service to both the party who wants to sell his tickets but doesn't want to waste time standing at the entrance to do so, and the party who really wants to see the sold-out event but wasn't able to get tickets or just wants to upgrade the ones they did get. Personally, I don't see much of a problem in that.

Where I do have a problem is when scalpers buy up huge blocks of tickets, preventing others from buying those tickets, and then turn around and sell those tickets at inflated prices. And so does the government, fortunately.

You just described Ticketmaster. It is, by definition, a scalper. The only difference is that it is perfectly legal and Joe Lunchbox trying to make a few extra dollars is deemed to be breaking the law.

I feel that if it's legal for Ticketmaster it should be legal for anybody to sell a ticket for a profit. However, since Ticketmaster pays taxes on its profits and Joe Lunchbox does not, there should be a limit to how many tickets Joe can purchase and sell. As far as that goes, there should also be a limit on Ticketmaster if there isn't already.

I have purchased from scalpers (Joe, not Ticketmaster) several times, and I have always paid less than the face value of the ticket. I simply wait until the event starts.

I agree, I can't stand scalpers, although I did buy a ticket from one once, but he lost money in that deal. if I can't use one of my tickets I give them away. I just want people to enjoy the game, couldn't care less about someone paying me back.

Funny you should mention Ticketmaster. I actually had a statement about them, but removed it. Totally agree.

And the point you make about taxes is an interesting one. Buying tickets low and selling them high is legal as long as the "high" doesn't exceed the face value. But tax evasion is not, and I suspect that most scalpers do not declare their profits as income, nor do they file GST/HST returns. There is a line beyond which profitable activities become professional income, and taxes must be paid. Maybe that's where the authorities can catch these parasites, I mean, entrepreneurs.

The solution should be relatively simple: Charge anybody who wants to scalp tickets a vendor permit fee and limit the number of tickets they can purchase and sell for a profit. Let the market decide if they stay in business or not.

Scalping laws are provincial and it isn't illegal in all provinces. If there are scalpers standing outside Rogers Centre then it's the jurisdiction of Toronto Police, not the OPP or the RCMP. And if you see tickets for GC being sold on eBay then report it - they've even added a new option in their "detailed reason" reporting feature regarding the resale of tickets.

Quite right - and in other circumstances it may be a breach of the contractual terms tied to the ticket sale which is a civil matter, and the team or their contracted ticket agents would have to pursue injunctions or other court action to stop scalpers. Even in places where it is illegal, there seems to be nearly zero enforcement - and given the more important things the police have to do, I can't fault that even though it is annoying.

I can tell you it is enforced in Manitoba. There were arrests made outside MTS Centre this past hockey season.

Yet I'm sure Tickemaster is doing a booming business with its monopoly.

Well, they sure don't seem to do much about here in Vancouver - perhaps the laws are weaker (or nonexistent).

Speaking of Ticketmaster, I just bought some tickets (non-sports event) and it seemed like the "final" price displayed (before hitting the purchase button) included ALL. But no, here is how it broke down:

Ticket $117.50
Facility Charge $2.50
Convenience Charge $8.50

And THEN
Order Processing Fee $2.50

AND - get this, if you print it at home you pay another $1.50 EXTRA!?!? Get it mailed - no extra charge.

So, basically you're paying Ticketmaster $12.50 a ticket for the "convenience" of ordering on-line and printing at home.

why would anybody deal with TM as long as there are other seats available?

Can Canadians use Stub Hub? Now THAT'S legalized scalping!

[url=http://www.stubhub.com]www.stubhub.com[/url]

Ticketmaster seems marginally more reasonable in Canada than in the states. For example, I bought tickets for a Norm Macdonald show in San Francisco. I kid you not when I tell you that more than 1/3 of the price of the ticket was in Ticketmaster fees. So instead of being a $27 ticket it was something like $43, including a $2 fee to print your own ticket :roll:

Interestingly, acts are starting to push back. Bob Dylan played here and sold no tickets through Ticketmaster. They were only available at the door. And the comedian Louis C.K., in a bid to lower his ticket prices, has taken over the selling of tickets to his events via his own website, completely bypassing Ticketmaster. This is definitely the future. Many people have had it with Ticketmaster's gouging.

For an event such as the Grey Cup Ticketmaster serves a useful purpose, and I didn't find the service fees to be outrageous. Maybe it's finally getting the message. Nobody I know minds paying a fair price, say 10-15%, for the convenience of purchasing online. But when Ticketmaster piles on the bogus fees and pushes its take upwards of 20%-30% it's time to stop being its customer and make the inconvenient trip to the box office for a (nearly) extra fee-free experience.

Heck the Montreal Canadiens have teamed up with a online "legit" scalper, so sad.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56576

Ticket Vault selling tickets double and triple the price. :thdn:

Here's a link to the Louis C.K. story.

[url=http://finance.yahoo.com/news/evading-ticketmaster-louis-c-k-134317140.html]http://finance.yahoo.com/news/evading-t ... 17140.html[/url]

I want to go see him just to show support for what he is doing.

Here's an even better Louis C.K. link.

http://yhoo.it/MZAumz