The Business of Football: Personnel Changes

Is anyone else not concerned about the treatment of players by management of CFL teams. I think of how Edmonton treated Joe Montford. They bring him in, cut him, call him back, and cut him again. This seems to be the standard operating procedure of clubs, especially, dealing with veterans. Unfortunately teams exact everything from a player early in their career at the lower salary levels and abandon them during their peak earning potential. Can you imagine if this happened in other professions? It is no wonder why there is no loyalty or promotion of superstar players.

oh my gawd. its about winning football games - not protecting some old mans feelings.

StatiK76
GO BOMBERS!!!

Well, like in any pro league, the players association has to fight for things, all part of the negotiatin process.

Agreed!

I read somewhere that the average career in the NFL is 3 years. (For an average player)Every one wants a winning team. Thats what the GM's job is. Its all part of the "Business".

Agreed.

However, rather than using the Montford example, perhaps a more curious one was Khari Jones. Edmonton invites him to training camp in 2005, and cuts him. Edmonton invites him to training camp again in 2006, and cuts him again.

I agree with statik. This is football where winning is everything. They cannot keep a player around, especially in a salary cap world because of what he has done in the past or that they may hurt his feelings. They have to judge all players based on their current performance AND the salary they are demanding.

...lol jaumpher, you're a players mom aren't you?...c'mon, 'fess up....

I think it's Joe himself lol

lol, Players need to know when it's time to hang'em up, some just want to stick around past their expiry date.

There is a right way and a wrong way to treat players, but at the end of the day, if another player beats you out because of age, money, or skill, you are toast!
Joe found himself in that unfortunate position of still wanting to play, but not having anything left in the tank.
The optics of the way the club treated him were not ideal, but if they treated him with the respect he deserved, then they did discuss certain realties with him.
Then if he can't accept those realities, there really isn't much the club can do to ease his pain...

I stand corrected. While I don't profess to know the intimate details of management and players in the various teams, it seems that the rest of you are aware of the dynamics. Winning and success is the same in any business. Think of your own positions. Are you the best in your career? Are you spent? Come on, be honest. You probably only do what is necessary.

I agree that management should make decisions in the best interest of the team. Sometimes those decisions are harsh. All I am saying is to quit playing the mind game. Too often, it appears that management is using players for other reasons.

I don't think you can compare normal business and professinal sports. In professional sports you have physical limitations that are governed by age. In business you grow as an employee through experience. In a lot of cases, especially as you grow older, you're capabilities to perform at the worksite are governed by your mental capabilities.

Also, to note, in business you don't have millions of fans disecting your every move and you also don't have try-outs for your position every year.

Stuff like what happened to Montford still beats what happens in Hockey or Baseball, where you get a ten year $100 million contract, and then the team is stuck paying it all no matter how badly you perform.

Yes Alexi Yashin, I'm looking your way.

Football more closely resembles the real world: if you can't get the job done, we'll replace you with someone who can.

....al a Troy Westwood....

A quote from the Westwood article on the front page sums it up:

"When we met this morning I told him he could talk to me and I'd listen to what he had to say," said Berry. "He chose not to comment on it. In a way I think he's hopeful he gets another opportunity here. He's a Blue Bomber and he's always been one and I think he'd like the opportunity to continue to be one. The future will allow that to happen or it may not allow that to happen."

Maybe that, in part, is what Westwood was mulling over Wednesday as he left the field. The end rarely comes when a player has planned for it. No, it usually comes as sudden and subtle as a two-by-four across the forehead.

"I'm constantly thinking, every single day, about life beyond football," said Westwood. "I've seen so many guys come and go out of the locker-room and I know that it's a very delicate situation at the best of times. Only a fool wouldn't think about life after football... I understand that it's potentially closer today than it was a week ago."

Hey while I agree there are some players who try to stick it out to long. The vast majority of players who get the run around do it for the opportunity to play. They shouldn't be surprised. The teams are there to win.

Just the same, when a free agent leaves, the team shouldn't cry the blues about not being considered fairly by the players. Players are out there to make a living with a short opportunity to do it.

Both sides play games it part of the way they do things....because it is a business..

Thank you for your points. They are points well taken. I concur with all your comments. I was only referrring to the manipulation and mind game of releasing a player then bringing them back. This, in any business, is not the most appropriate approach to long-term respect of an organization and productivity.

Unfortunately, in the CFL, where wages are substantially reduced compared to other professional sports, the impact of the decisions hit even harder. But, like the rest of us, everyone needs a contingency plan--and alternative. Again, unfortunately, most people live in the moment and don't know what to do after all is said and done.

Oh, well, life in the fast lane.