The Burn The Witches Thread, Vol. 4

Agreed on every point except one. I actually gave them a chance in hell of winning - I actually thought it was a toss-up, with maybe a slight advantage to Montreal because of playing at home. Yes, our defence is porous, especially with our injuries. But theirs isn’t that great either.

don’t know what to say anymore :

Anyone want my Labor Day tickets ?

So this team gets outsmarted on both sides of the ball all the time .
I am also starting to see why Calgary gave up on Burris
We got beat in every aspect of the game .
Montreal was without Richardson and London ( most of the game ) and they still found Green open all the time .
None of our DB’s can cover , our pass rush is no-existant and our linebackers are always out of position and outsmarted…see Calvillos long runs and 17 yarder when it mattered most ….who does that fall on ? defensive co-ordinator
How do we not throw a challenge flag on that play …it was very obvious and was critical ….that drove me nuts .I could not sleep last night ….
Also , it looks like Giguerre is just going through the motions and it is not very useful out there …
We are not using Stala properly as he needs to be used for 10 yard curls over the middle etc
We are not using Fantuz enough as well .
Our run game is very poor and the offensive line does not provde and aggressive push
Simmons has sucked from day one and that play where Burris got sacked when we were close was Simmons man ..
C. Williams and Colburne where the only guys playing today from what I could see ..
Montreal did not play so well but we sucked .
With one minute or so left they just walked up the field with mostly Canadian receivers and no landon and richardosn ,
Not sure who was supposed to be guarding GREEN on their first TD I guess WEBB
Hinds also gets beat easily on jump balls
And tisdale has allowed to many guys to get behind him
It’s a mess..time to make changes
The WHOLE defence needs to be looked at …including linebackers
I find Williams is always out of place …it’s on him when calvillo romps fr 17 yards with a gapping middle field …if that was lulay he might have ran for 40…
Why do we play 2 canadain db’s when we do not have to ?

OBIE where are you ..bring in some Defence ? You have watched this team for 3 straight losses and 8 games ..
And please make sure you talk to CORTEZ ETC about those challenge flags

Make the changes required :

Good thing we fired Bellefeuille and traded Glenn otherwise we might be 4-4 again....

...oh wait a minute....

That doesn’t help when the replay doesn’t come up in time for the coach to make a decision before the next play is underway. Teams have learned to get the next play off fast after a suspect, chalengeable play and Montreal did that last night. IF, Cortez was already leaning towards a challenge he might have gone for it with even a hint of supporting evidence, but I don’t think from the replay - to the booth - back to the field would have made it in this case.

Of course we’ve already had the usual editorials by the CFL-haters using this non-catch but catch call by the officials as an example of how bad the officiating is in the CFL, which I think is nonsense. I thought it was a completion on the initial view of the play and a replay at full-speed sure wouldn’t have changed my mind that it was a good catch, at least from the initial angle. The replays in slow-mo and different angles made it clear though, which is great for hindsight but unreasonable for criticism of what happens at full speed with one viewing angle.

TSN showed the replay twice before the Als got their play off. I would also think that seeing the Als rush to the line should have tipped off Cortez that something was amiss. In any event, this is twice that the Cats have been burned on a non-challenge that would have overturned a big play.

The call was wrong, but anyone using this as a reason to call out the officials is an idiot. This was a mistake that crews in both the CFL and NFL have made countless times. That doesn’t make it right, but it also doesn’t make the refs incompetent. Now, the facemask penalty that wasn’t a facemask, that’s another story.

TSN showed the replay twice before the Als got their play off. I would also think that seeing the Als rush to the line should have tipped off Cortez that something was amiss. In any event, this is twice that the Cats have been burned on a non-challenge that would have overturned a big play.
If they wanted to they could run it 10 times.. and then show the next play.. the feed is already delayed not as much as the chml feed is.. Actually one could listen to chml and watch the game in realtime.. oh for the good old days.
Now, the facemask penalty that wasn't a facemask, that's another story.
That play really pissed me off.. we lost the officiating battle there! Guess we couldn't pay them enough.