The best Marketing Campaign

This is our league .

The best campaign the CFL ever produced .

They needed to have followed this up with Family and the fans .

Just in case there was anyone out there that doesn't know what I mean .

Here goes . When I first watched this years ago when it came out ; I have to admit it it made my eyes water a bit .

8 Likes

I believe the voice over was Keifer Sutherland .

The second version was not as well done but it did roll on with the
campaign with a playoff .

6 Likes

Just watched and for the record I'm not crying , just peeling onions . :sleepy: :onion:

3 Likes

Without a doubt "This is Our League" was the best marketing campaign so far in any era.

Mark Cohon did a great job with this.

The funniest one was during the time when they had the "Radically Canadian" era during the US Expansion in the early 90's. "Our Balls Are Bigger". That was a funny one.

4 Likes

We need more like this...made me feel proud and nostalgic.

4 Likes

[quote="ILoveFootball, post:4, topic:70611"]

Without a doubt "This is Our League" was the best marketing campaign so far in any era.

Mark Cohon did a great job with this.

The funniest one was during the time when they had the "Radically Canadian" era during the US Expansion in the early 90's. "Our Balls Are Bigger". That was a funny one.

[/quote That was a good one. I can’t be sure, but I seem to remember (not sure where) something about CFL and NFL balls being the same size. I also remember as a kid, a friend bringing a j5v NFL ball to our pick-up game....it had no stripe and seemed smaller. Anybody know definitely?

Hello Paul_ste_marie,

You are referring to the Spalding J5V, which was the CFL Game Ball for quite some time in the CFL. That's not to say we did not use Wilson as we do now pre 1970's. I do not know the years for sure prior.

I think it was around 2001 that the CFL switched from the J5V to Wilson.

The J5V did have the same stripes as we have now. It could have been the official size, but not the weight of the game ball that you are referring to. I have 2 CFL footballs. One is from Canadian Tire where its the official size, but not the weight. Those are the ones that are $20 - $40. The CFL Official Game Ball I have is about $120 - $140 in stores if you can find it. You will definitely notice the weight of the ball along with the firmer leather.

You will notice the same options and prices with "The Duke" NFL Game Balls and the half stripe NCAA Wilson 2001, along with the USports Wilson Game Ball which is the same as the CFL Game Ball.

There was an era in the NFL (30's. 40's, and parts of the 50's) that they used the striped ball).

When the AFL started, they had a similar one to "The Duke", but it was slightly smaller. A lot of AFL Quarterbacks loved the accuracy of that Game Ball.

1 Like

If I ever open a sporting goods store, I want you to run it.

That's one of the best commercials I've ever seen in my life, and not just about football. The sad thing is that I don't recall ever seeing it outside of YouTube.

2 Likes

Yes That's the problem I saw it once just once on a TSN broadcast when it first came out and was blown away the first time .

Thought this was going to be expanded on and was excited for this new bravado of CFL pride .

But It only lives on in the YouTube universe .

Cohon's Grey Cup fan walk etc are so well thought out and useful for serving that feeling of belonging to something bigger a traditional unofficial Canadian holiday celebration .

Subtle but still Genius .

2 Likes

That certainly is a great clip for sure. I’ve watched it many times. Always gives me a tremendous feeling of pride as a long time CFL fan.

1 Like

Great job for you to have brought this back up. This is why I have been saying that Ambrosie has absolutely FAILED to lead the league. This is the kind of marketing the league needs. Even if the league cannot afford or engage in a project to have a CFL Network TV channel like the NFL, we have internet and there is no reason why the CFL couldn't execute a terrific online CFL Network, modeled after the hugely successful NFL Network that gives football fans football all year round. Our University players would get tons of coverage in the months leading up to the draft. The combine could be broadcast and whole towns and cities would watch it to see their high school graduate perform. Then the draft could be really done up as well. There is NO reason for not promoting the league using that kind of visibility / daily presence. With game replays, player spotlights & stories. Why not use a successful model to promote CFL ball. The 65 yard wide X 12 players with 1 foot inbounds on catches + 110 yd long with huge endzone. The rules the create the MOST excitement in Canadian ball is the timing rules. Stop time in final 3 minutes creates incredible comebacks and more exciting finishes per season than ANY other league, especially the NFL. There is no comparison....the stats are clear. The CFL has more games with last 3 minute lead changes and finishes of 7 or less points than the NFL. I only bring this up because the CFL doesn't "need" a relationship with XFL.... it needs a leader that is willing to promote the CFL brand and the game to all grass roots levels, from youth, to varsity to the Men's Senior leagues like the 70 year old Northern Football Conference in Ontario (NFCfootball.ca) and the AFL in Alberta. Such a CFL Network could feature games from many leagues from across the country. Its not that hard....just needs someone who will act and stop whining about how bad a shape the CFL is in. I am so disappointed in the defeatist attitude of Ambrosie. He is complacent and terrible. I am no even against having some sort of relationship with the XFL, but absolutely against the idea of changing something just for the sake of changing. Marketing & promotion to eager Canadians looking for something to bring them together will revive revenues to the league, not changing rules or wild events with some other league. Need someone who is a marketing genius to replace Ambrosie.

2 Likes

I've sat through a pre-season exhibition game in freezing rain. I've been to summer & early autumn games in hot weather but sunset came and gave us relief. I've sat through a playoff game where it was minus 20. I've never been to a CFL game in a roofed stadium; is it the same?

1 Like

Yes same rules same field dimensions.
BMO field like most European, Brit soccer stadiums, has a roof and the advantage is the crowd noise can stay inside and a crowd of 12k can sound much louder.

2 Likes