The Axe Has To Fall In Ottawa.

So … Oliver Stone stuff … subjective supposition without objective facts

Ask an Ottawa fan about perseverance.

Yes, I have to admit it is purely speculative, on my part; the kinds of things I think about when I walk around.

I wish I had more answers than questions.

I was crushed when football died in Ottawa, for the first time, in 1996. It might have been many factors I certainly don’t understand. Bruce Firestone was behind the birth of the Ottawa Senators. Did he contribute to the death of the Rough Riders?

I don’t know if that’s exactly Oliver Stone, but I think my life might have been very different had I seen the writing on the wall better, back in the days when Daniel Alfredsson was becoming more popular than …well…Jock Climie, I suppose.

Tons of questions. Anyway, go thirty six years between winning seasons, see your team fold twice, watch a club go from 3-14-1 to 3-15 to 2-16 in consecutive years, and the whole while defend the team as if it were a family member.

So, yes, ask an Ottawa Rough Rider fan what it means to love your team.

back and to the left … back and to the left …

Yes, that part is surprising, taken as a general rule. Normally, firing your head coach after training camp and your GM a few games into the season doesn’t bode well for your chances in that particular season. But this case IMO is the exception that proves the rule. Sherman probably would have been fired at the end of last season, but the league didn’t assume control of the Als until May of this year. They then fired Reed at probably the best time in terms of overall daily impact on the team – not during the offseason, not before the draft, not in free agency, but after the season had started. The key here is Khari Jones. I wasn’t sold on him at all, even two games into his HC stint. If you remember, we started the season with two bad losses, one to Edmonton in which we were torched by Harris and co, and the blowout loss to Hamilton. As Slowik learned, Adams Jr. took the reins and Jones began to shape the playbook to his strengths. Stanback had that monster game in the Hamilton win, which gave the team proof that it could win. Everything since then has been slow and steady lunch-bucket work.

All this to say, yes, it looks surprising on the outside, but it’s not surprising if you’ve been following the team’s performance. No need to imply that the league is somehow giving the Als special treatment or helping them. There’s nothing to warrant that.

more proof that the coaching staff and gm really arent that important
and
maybe argos should nust dump popp and coaching staff as they have abysmal this yr
let the players call plays on the field and give saved $ to players
lets see what happens - cant be worse than 2-9

…more? as in someone already made an argument that coaches and football operations people are not important? missed that debate apparently…

…so, to clarify, are you saying that coaches and football operations people aren’t important to running a successful, functional team?

The Marxist approach to football

…fair enough, everyone is entitled to their opinion…I couldn’t tell you my feelings on the argos ST coaching situation as I don’t have one/any…I disagree with your thought that teams could just coach themselves, or hire new players by locker-room consensus…sounds like a disaster to me…

No, you’re right. The idea of employing coaches in professional football has been debunked because some of the teams with coaches have lost games.

We should save this in the “change can’t hurt” file. That argument comes up every time someone shows up with an unconventional new idea and accuses anyone with contrary views as simply being resistant to change.

last yr argos were 4-14
current methodology is NOT working

the difinition of insanity is doing the same thig and expecting a different result

…the corollary is that teams that have won championships did have coaches, but those coaches never actually played, they pretty much stood around on the sidelines, doing something, supposedly…

…might be onto something here, my wife is a personal fitness instructor…she knows pretty much nothing about football, but she’s in really good shape and is an excellent motivator…I’m sending the Argos her resume and ivan’s arguments here to the main fax line of MLSE because opportunity!

…no way I’m moving to TO though, she’ll have to rent a condo…

Wow this has been exhausting.

Well who is sharpening that axe now?

What ought be the punishment for the coach on his way out?

Anyone amongst you in the crowd with either a torch or a pitchfork? Speak now!

Alternatively, no team is going to play well when the starting QB, quite a gunslinger too, has been a turnover machine.

What if the backup shows up and does start to play well as we near the end of the season?

The ugly QB situation merits attention and a fix irrespective of the name of the coach or I can’t see much changing for the better in Ottawa.

Sir I kind of don’t want that to work out for her because that sounds for you both like the makings akin to the debut of a new game show on an oil rig platform in stormy seas.

And then what would happen to us here!?

For sporting purposes, I’m going to bet against this proposition.

A timeless quote by legendary NFL coach Bill Parcells comes to mind too though I see someone cited a similar quote by Marv Levy. Maybe he was the originator of the quote?

As a pro football coach, “if you are listening to the fans, you’ll be sitting by them soon too.”

Exactly.

Other things they may want to consider changing because, hey, current methodology has not been working:

• Populating the roster exclusively with individuals who played college football
  • Making efforts to conceal game plans and play calls from opposing teams
  • Players facing the line of scrimmage at the start of plays
  • Employing the “forward pass”
  • Practicing before games

Continuing to do all of those things would be the very definition of insanity, would it not?

oh i do think that some coaches did indeed play the game
werent eiben and oshea and steinhauer players on gc winning teams b4 they were coaches

it appears u r just fine w/ a horrible losing record 2 yr in a row … so be it
i am not

there is NO EXCUSE [short of a horrible accident] to not make payoffs EACH yr in east
4-14 is just UNACCEPTABLE - period
currently argos are 2-9 - that too is UNACCEPTABLE - period
if argos were 6-5, i’d sat not a great yr for them but they are trying and have a winning record
and lets see how things work out
the results from the last 1.5 have been abhorrent
never mind the poor attendance which is NOT helped w/ a poor record

Did you also ask the Argo players if they mind being called “boy”? You might find that you get an even more special reward.

As a matter of fact, I am thrilled with the Argos’ record over the past two seasons.

Falling behind the Als is the worst part.