The Anthony Calvillo Project

Tiger Cats Cut Calvillo : The Myth That will Not Die.

…especially when you consider it was none other than Ron Lancaster doing the cutting. (In his defence he had just signed McManus and the team couldn’t afford to pay 2 QB’s ‘starter’ salaries).

A.C. wasn’t our # 1 QB and Ron Lancaster didn’t do the cutting…

anyways, Earl, has a new perspective on A.C.s release now, MFH.

He got the real story about “the myth that never dies”

[Thanks, for that zontar Jr.]

by reading what other people said
after he made that comment.

I too have found that it makes sense

to know what facts other posters have posted
before giving an un-researched opinion of my own.

So who was going to be our #1 QB going into 1998 - Mike Cawley, Ricky Foggie, or, someone else (assuming the Cats didn’t sign DMac)? He was released two weeks after Ron Lancaster arrived in town as head coach. Wouldn’t this have made it his decision, RFT? He may have asked for his release, but the Cats could have suspended him instead of releasing him. Or they could have released him just before TC opened. This would have limited his options due to all other teams having had their rosters set by then. He would have had to rely on an injury situation to open up a spot for him with anyone. Instead they released him in February and the rest is history…

So, you’re angry at your team for not acting like ? :?

Let’s put the AC thing to rest. He needed and wanted a change of scenery. Hamilton had to go in a different direction following that disastrous 2-16 season. And Danny Mac didn’t turn out too badly for the Tabbies. Why rehash ancient history?

No, I’m not angry at all! :smiley:

I was merely trying to show RFT that 1) yes Ron Lancaster did indeed release AC. and 2) That AC was (or would have been) the starter in '98 if Danny Mac was not signed. I think all things considered the Cats did the right thing at the right time. Had they waited until TC to start before releasing AC it would have kept other FA’s from signing with the team to avoid, at least potentially, the same ultimate fate. I’m very happy, on a personal level, that things worked out for AC. On a fan level, well, I’m not so happy with the way things worked out for the Larks. :wink:

Okay, good to know. :slight_smile:

Agreed. The problem is whenever talking about quarterback potential, someone will inevitably put up the “let’s not give up on him yet or he’ll turn into another Anthony Calvillo!” There was fear and trepidation when the Als signed Marcus Brady.

Do EDM fans obsess like this about a genuine player screw up like letting go of Mike Pringle, probably the greatest RB in league history ?

You mean you don’t regret that move? Hey, Marcus has two Grey Cup rings as receivers coach for the Als! :lol: :lol: :wink:

I don't think analogy works with Tony Gabriel. The Cats knew exactly what they had in Gabriel and he helped the team to the Grey Cup in 1972. He left the team after a contractual dispute.

By contrast, I have BC friends who can't figure out how we stole their linebacking corps. CFL defensive player of the year, anyone?

B.C. traded Knowlton, along with the rights to non-import kicker Ara Tchobanian, in exchange for the Ticats second round (9th overall) selection in the 2008 CFL Canadian Draft.

Otis Floyd and Jamal Johson were both signed as free agents.

OK now what was the name of the Seals goaltender(i recall he was bald)?? had his hockey card and witnessed the leafs put 10 or 11 past him, but he never quite lol I know off topic but oh well

The more I listen to GM's...the more I realise they see teams as organic beings
They see the whole...how each part fits...where the weaknesses are and how (if at all) they can fill those weaknesses.

As a Bruins fan...I was crushed when they traded Joe Thornton.
I even stopped following the team for a couple of years.

Still...after watching Thornton progress into the player he is today
And watching the Bruins evolve along the same timeline
I can't help thinking the Bruins were on to something

The Bruins philosophy of effort and hard-nosed hockey
Especially since Claude Julien has led the team
Almost eliminates an oft "doldrumatic" Jumbo Joe from consideration
And a big-salary Chara would have been an impossibility while carrying
Joe's big "cappetite"

I guess it comes with experience and maturity
Seeing the bigger picture and thinking long-term
There's certainly an artistry to it
I guess that's why guys like Jim Popp are so rare