The Amazon Effect

"Alongside Prime, Amazon offers a parallel way of attracting young, digitally peripatetic types that sports leagues are desperate to reach."

This is an interesting article from The Economist about Amazon and streaming sports in general, and streaming NFL games in particular. I think it pretty much nails where the market is going. I'd love to see a CFL (or maybe a CXFL) game of the week streamed on the full Amazon network. I believe it would eventually be a great revenue stream for the league.
This article is pay-walled, but the work around is to switch to reader view then disable javascript, or simply listen to the audio version. I don't feel comfortable copy-pasting the entire thing here.

You can listen to the entire audio version of the article here:

1 Like

Good find .

Several here on the forum have said the exact same things .

1 Like

I also have little doubt that Amazon would be interested given its obvious move to live streaming of sports around the world. The CFL and TSN would be wise pay attention.

2 Likes

Yes especially with the need for CDN content and what they pay for terrible niche content today for their various audience .

The can easlily take the CFL Thursday night game until the NFL TNF starts up I believe it coincides nicely . Would like a Saturday /Sunday Game as well there after .

2 Likes

"Eye-watering prices for TV bundles are a turn-off for younger audiences. Fans are changing channels"
— The Economist on Twitter

And btw, the CFLsim is already a thing on Twitch. It would be a natural for the CFL to embrace, promote, and extend that with a live games (Twitch is owned by Amazon).

3 Likes

gee, I thought this might be about warrior women playing football.

1 Like

Half time mini games :smiley:

works for me

It would be fantastic .

The NFL Thursday game gets 4 streams here .

TSN /Amazon/DAZN/Fox .

All converted to the CDN advertising . Amazon doesn't need the advertising so I never understood why the CFL/TSN restricts audience .

It makes zero sense not to want to make more money with an expanded audience of your product .

If TSN is the obstacle then they are no longer the proper broadcast partner for the potential new viewer and the future of any CDN based sports enterprise .

3 Likes

TSN has been a great partner for the CFL, but you're right. Though I don't know who else could pick up game-day production if not TSN, and it has to be in TSN's best interest to attract a younger audience. There's no reason why a deal couldn't be made that benefits all three. Not to mention that it would also likely boost sales of CFL gear if it could be ordered immediately while streaming the game.

The CFL and TSN must not repeat the mistakes of the music industry in the oughts by doing, well, nothing and hoping it all gets better. It's need to embrace change and open itself up to new platforms.

2 Likes

Agree they need to change with the times ; not sure if it's them CFL or TSN but I think the CFL would or should have had that conversation to expand the ways to view the product by now .

2 Likes

Agreed. It has feet of clay if it hasn't had that conversation at the highest levels. I'm thinking it has not or a deal would have already been reached. Amazon has demonstrated its hunger for content. The CFL has yet to demonstrate its hunger to supply content.

2 Likes

If this CFL-XFL merger happens, that will be the catalyst to get one of the Amazons of the world on board.

The reality with having exclusively with TSN with the same 9 teams playing the same 18 game schedule, there is no new content for anyone. Keep in mind the NFL is expanding to 17 games so there is new inventory for Amazon.

In a merged league, TSN wouldn't care much for a Seattle vs. St. Louis type of match up so there is more to sell to someone else.

There really is only one Amazon. Nothing else comes even close. It also has demonstrated interest in popular regional streams, as in Germany and India. There no reason why it couldn't do the same in Canada and US with the CFL as it is now.

1 Like

I agree there is potential there which I why I think a merge/partnership is a way to get them on board.

The league needs new content to sell. Only way to to that is either increase the length of the schedule or expand

1 Like

Amazon USA etc... gives you that but Seattle versus St Louis is not CDN content .for Amazon Canada But I get what your saying with making it even wider .

Hello,

Whatever works for more TV revenue is a no brainer and a win / win situation. I just hope its on multiple platforms for a wider audience. Furthermore, that it becomes part of a regular cable , and internet provider option to stream it no matter what provider you are with etc.

3 Likes

True. Depending on how many inter league games exist, having Hamilton vs. DC for example might be a game TSN may be willing to let a streaming company here have as it will count as Canadian content for them..hard to say.

2 Likes

Definitely a merge/partnership (if not CFL-XFL then CFL-TSN-Amazon/Twitch) is needed, or the league (and TSN) risk being forgotten and left behind. There's already enough evidence of that happening. Drive young people to seeing games in person by making them a) interesting because they've seen them on their favourite platform; b) affordable, though young professionals generally have a lot more money to spend than the older crowds; c) cool and chic by embracing prestige by aligning with those who already have it — mostly young celebrities who a younger audience can relate to.

3 Likes

For the playoffs, I'd like TSN to do it. Reason being is that they have done a great job with there Game Day Panel. There small documentaries that they have done in the past have been great also.

The CBC and CTV in the past were good. But TSN has made the CFL better overall in promoting the game with all due respect to CTV and CBC.

2 Likes