The 2013 CFL Draft

Listed below is the CFL Scouting Bureau's Top 15 prospects for the 2013 draft (September rankings).

TOP 15
#1) Stefan Charles (DL), Regina, 6'5", 310 lbs
#2) Linden Gaydosh (DL), Calgary, 6'4", 305 lbs
#3) Bo Lokombo (LB), Oregon, 6'3", 233 lbs
#4) Matt Sewell (OL), McMaster, 6'8", 340 lbs
#5) Steven Lumbala (RB), Calgary, 5'11", 215 lbs
#6) Corey Watman (OL), Eastern Michigan, 6'2", 294 lbs
#7) Jesse Joseph (DE), UConn, 6'3", 259 lbs
#8) Kalonji Kashama (DE), Eastern Michigan, 6'4", 255 lbs.
#9) Brett Jones (OL), Regina, 6'2", 310 lbs
#10) Ben D'Aguilar (DE), McMaster, 6'2", 240 lbs
#11) Stephen Alli (REC), Florida, 6'6", 221 lbs
#12) Elie Ngoyi (DL), Bishops, 6'2", 270 lbs
#13) Brander Craighead (OL), UTEP, 6'6", 280 lbs
#14) Nolan MacMillan (OL), Iowa, 6'6", 290 lbs
#15) Yannick Morin-Plante (REC), Laval, 6'0", 200 lbs

*Note, these players listed about are the FIRST rankings for the 2013 draft. Alot of movement in the rankings will take place from now until draft day.

Heres my take:

Currently, at this time, here are my TOP FIVE PROSPECTS:
#1) Bo Lokombo (LB), Oregon, 6'3", 233 lbs
#2) Linden Gaydosh (DL), Calgary, 6'4", 305 lbs
#3) Matt Sewell (OL), McMaster, 6'8", 340 lbs
#4) Stefan Charles (DL), Regina, 6'5", 310 lbs
#5) Steven Lumbala (RB), Calgary, 5'11", 215 lbs
NOTE I currently agree with the CFL Scouting Bureau on who's the top five. I just have the top five in different order.

Here are my TOP 3 prospect gems outside the TOP 5:
#1) Kalonji Kashama (DE), Eastern Michigan, 6'4", 255 lbs
#2) Nolan MacMillan (OL), Iowa, 6'6", 290 lbs
#3) Brander Craighead (OL), UTEP, 6'6", 280 lbs

Here are my Bottom 3 prospects, who will likely slip outside the Top 15:
#1) Yannick Morin-Plante (REC), Laval, 6'0", 200 lbs
#2) Stephen Alli (REC), Florida, 6'6", 221 lbs
#3) Ben D'Aguilar (DE), McMaster, 6'2", 240 lbs

As of 06/11/2012, heres my prediction who goes 1st overall:
Linden Gaydosh (DL), Calgary, 6'4", 305 lbs

*Stay tuned for more 2013 CFL draft talk! :cowboy:

I agree with you that the receivers in the top 15 will most likely slip out of the top 15. The Canadian Receivers are leaps and bounds better then they once were as for overall depth an a lot of them being teams #2 receivers for each team where for the most part they were the 3rd or 4th rec or even the 4 and 5th. But it usually takes a little more time to make an impact. Even now shawn Gore is actually the Lions #1 receiver and Shawmawd chambers has made an impact in his first year. O Lineman are the most prepared to play right away and make an impact as interior Lineman as well as D lineman on the Interior.

Yup, just look at Ismail Bomba for the Sask Riders. He was once ranked in the top 15 and went VERY late in the draft last year.

A few questions i have been asked about this years draft:

#1) Why do you have Linden Gaydosh (DL) from Calgary going first overall?
Answer: Currently, i believe he is the most CFL ready D-linemen in this years draft. The Hamilton Ti-Cats need better pressure from their d-line. Gaydosh gives them that.

#2) Why do you have Bo Lokombo (LB) from Oregon as your top prospect?
Answer: Well theirs more to Lokombo's game then just at Linebacker. He can return kicks as well. Id also say he can play Saftey in the CFL. With that said, i think his speed, quickness and ability to tackle will make him a HUGE asset to any team that is lucky to draft him. The best fit for Lokombo would be the Edmonton Eskimos. Edmonton lacks depth at Linebacker for non-imports. Although its a stretch, because Edmonton currently does not have a 1st round pick in 2013. Next in line would have to be the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. They need more depth at linebacker, and a Canadian impact player on special teams year one, Lokombo, would certainly give them that.

#3) Do you think the Edmonton Eskimos will end up with a 1st round pick?
Answer: To be honest, no. The only way Edmonton ends up with a 1st round pick is if they are REALLY sold on a player and he slips to a spot thats avaible for trade. Edmonton would have to part ways with someone like (Rec) Adarius Bowman or (RB) Jerome Messam, etc. Id say the talk would be with Montreal, who holds both their pick & Edmonton's pick.

#4) Who's your top player to watch (as of right now) that may be in the running for the 1st overall pick (out of the top 5)?
Answer: Its currently a tie between: Kalonji Kashama (DE) from Eastern Michigan & Jesse Joseph (DE) from UConn. Although, if they play too well, they may fall out of the top 15. Why? Because NFL scouts tend to grab good Canadian d-linemen.

*If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask and i will try to answer them ASAP.

:cowboy:

Yup reason why. chris getz has evolved into the Riders 2nd receiver but it took time and he was a 5th round draft pick 07 and worked his way up. Jordan sisco was the 8th overall pick in 2010 but got an invite to an NFL camp where he lasted to the final cuts. is still in the process and Robb Bagg was an undrafted free agent. Bamba will take time to get there spending the entire season on the PR until the final game. Will step in next year as a special teamer and could possibily be good return man if not probably be a great gunner on punting team. Little harder for the Canadian receivers and need time to catch p with the speed of the game especially with the import DBs that are at so mauch higher skill level than DBs in the CIS. So the receivers have the skill but catching up with the speed of the game takes time. Once they get there though they are very very good skilled receivers turning the tables on the import DBs with their use of the waggle.

Another Question:
Long term (at this point) who's the best player in the CFL draft (2013).

Answer:
IMO, the best player in the 2013 draft (who will have the longest CFL career) is Matt Sewell (OL) from McMaster. His size at 6'8", 340 lbs is CFL ready. Give him a few years (like Scott Mitchell in Edmonton) to develope and he will be a main stay on any CFL teams O-line.

Another Question:
You've listed your Bottom 3 prospects, who will likely slip outside the Top 15 as Yannick Morin-Plante (REC), Stephen Alli (REC) & Ben D'Aguilar (DE). Who replaces them (as of right now) in your opinion?

Answer:
Good question, heres a good candidate: Matt Vonk (OL), 6’4 280 lbs from Waterloo

*I think we will see the 2013 CFL draft as a linemen featured draft. While recievers drop and RB/LB's rise.

Currently we know the Hamilton Ti-Cats hold the first overall pick, while the Winnipeg Blue Bombers hold pick number two. It all comes down to playoffs to see where everyone else falls. *Once playoffs are over and all teams spots are set, i will have my first mock draft (first two rounds) of the 2013 CFL draft. Stay tuned.

I cant argue with that having sewell will be ready to start right away at least on the interior and will eventually be able to move to RT which is very important when it comes to the Ratio. He even has the chace to eventually play LT which gives Hamilton the chance to start building an all Canadian O line. The more I read the comments the more i think the Cats should draft Sewell over Charles. Problem being how much NFL attention will he get. Heenan came to the Riders CFL ready on the interior and di not have any NFL attention.
I think that trend the NFL had of bringin CIS lineman to camp is on a down swing as many of those who the NFL brought in made it to the practice squad level and are stating to return tho the CFL ie Matt O'Donnel

Complete waste of time until the combine and the teams find out who is looking at the NFL. Putting Lokombo at #1 when he will most certainly be in an NFL camp invite for example.

What's the meaning of life ?

...me too cigar eating cowboy guy:

If x, y, and k are positive numbers such that ((x)/(x+y))(10) + ((y)/(x+y))(20) = k and if x < y, which of the following could be the value of k?
A. 10
B. 12
C. 15
D. 18
E. 30

...to throw some flies into your ointment....Charles will be drafted by Hamilton....Gaydosh will be drafted by the Bombers....you read it here first :wink:

How do you know these teams won't trade their draft picks ?

.....Speaking for the Bombers (not officially of course) and listening to what they're saying in Ham., it sounds like they have come to the conclusion that you don't trade an excellent position, to move in the draft..They've found you usually get burned (see the westerman pick of last year, who the Bombers really wanted by their move) so the Bombers will most likely draft the best player available...Likewise for Hamilton...Those two players in the top rung are Charles and Gaydosh (in my opinion)...Charles has nfl aspirations, as does any player with ambition...BUT I think those two individuals will be starting their careers in the CFL...Just my take.. :wink:

With their being much more quality coming out of the CIS teams are realizing that it is important to keep your top picks as opposed to trading them. Ben Heenan for example will be a quality all star caliber O lineman for many years to come baring an injury of course. Westerman the same on the D side of the ball. Westerman may get some NFL interest but the % says that he most likely will not make it or be there for very long. If he was a DE than he would have a better chance. The NFL's priority on defense is to have as many Rush DE/OLB' to go into the rotation. If you notice all of the players who have started in the CFL and have made a successful career in the NFL are playing those positions. Reason being that by playing there first three years in the CFL they have 3 seasons of pro fotball under their belt and are hitting their prime but to the NFL they are considered rookies and will take the Minimum rookie salary of 390K. Making them a great fit for both the football and business side of the NFL.

LOL good one :thup:

Thats what ppl said last year about Ben Heenan. No camp, no NFL attention.

If other people talking about the CFL draft is a waste of time for you then why dont you just op out until E-Camp. :thup:

Good day.

No one knows that going into the draft. Things change. Stuff happens. We'll have to wait till draft day.
[/quote]
How do you know these teams won't trade their draft picks ?
[/quote]

Good post :thup:

Thanks for this interesting information. With the season coming to an end here, we might get to see some of these guys in post season play.