The 2012 CFL Canadian Draft Thread

33rd SB Bo Palmer to Hamilton Tiger-Cats

[url=http://athletics.sfu.ca/teams/football-men/roster/747.html]http://athletics.sfu.ca/teams/football- ... r/747.html[/url]
http://www.ticats.ca/draft

Great reading about these guys, guys that I never knew much about since they aren't in the huge limelight but are outstanding players for sure. The Canadian Draft is just another item that makes the CFL such a super league.

My Take on the Draft :

Someone had mentioned that whenever we sign a player like Giguerre ….for some decent money almost always there is a player who makes decent money that goes soon .
I am curious that it might be one of Jamal Johnson or Rey Williams . The reasons I think this are because they always get rid of someone when they sign someone like this and also Kevin Eiben has been signed and he can still start in this league and as a non import . I heard OBIE mention yesterday that EIBEN could start as well . Also , they drafted a stud at LB that could back up Eiben and learn from EIBEN ….It all makes sense ..I just don’t know which one would be going . My guess is that Rey Williams goes and Eiben moves in there with Plesius backing him up and then they can go with either 2 imports on the OLINE ( 2 tackles and one guard ) or 4 IMPORT DLINEMEN

My guess right now is they could start 2 non import reciwvers ( Giguerre, Fantuz ) plus the fullback( Brown ) or extra receiver ( Stalla )
Plus either 2 olineman( Hage, Dyakowski ) and 1 linebacker (EIBEN / Plesius ) and 1 db ( Hinds )

This way they can start 2 import recivers ( C. Williams and Bkari Grant )
And then start an import at both Offensive Tackle spots and the one Guard if Petrus isn’;t coming..NOT SURE
And they can also start all 4 IMPORT DLINEMAN ( ROSE, PEACH, CRABLE and an import DT )

In summary we didn’t get an OLINEMAN that can help now .
We got an olineman that might help later
We got a db that could be a ratio buster and backup to HINDS
We got a moster lb that could start now and will start eventually and will help right now special teams
We got a couple dlineman one DT AND one DE that have had suiccess and can battle for a spot
We have the 2knd ranked rb
And the 4th ranked receiver who could stick

I just hope that Hage is healthy for camp and that MOE PETRUS did not get picked up by any NFL team and that Pascal Baillargeon is healthy and ready to surprise .

I also hope that OBIE signs free agnet and OLINEMAN like Robertson
They got a huge steal in LB Frederic Plesius who is a beast .By far the top rated linebaker Now they have him and Eiben that are non imports that could start .
I am thinking that could mean the end of the line for one of the current 3 import linebackers with Eiben starting and Plesius learning behind him.

I thought they should have tried to get one of the top Lineman available like Kirby Fabien or Westerns Matt Norman . instead they drafted an OLINEMAN that might be
A good future guy in Carson Rockhill but likely not ready to move in there just yet .

I think they got a steal with WR - Simon Charbonneau-Campeau that late ..he is tall and athletic and likely will make this team as the 4th non import receiver.
So that likely means Mckay and MAHONEY COULD BE IN TROUBLE.

It was nice thatthey grabbed a running back late in Bo Palmer – Simon Fraser hew as ranked as the 2knd best RB in the draft and simon fraser now playes against American universities

Gascon-Nadon, Arnaud – Sherbrooke has been a very successful DE in Canada and was one the 3 players to represent Canada in the east west shrine game .
If you eliminate the top 2 rated DE’S that were picked up by NFL teams then he was ranked 3rd of the remaining

Michael Atkinson – Boise State is a big nose tackle type guy that was ranked 3rd in DT’s but the top guy was not touched because of NFL interest so a good pick

Me thinks we'll be seeing Moe Petrus in camp. There must be a reason why the only offensive Lineman we took is a project/developmental type guy.

Someone had mentioned that whenever we sign a player like Giguerre ….for some decent money almost always there is a player who makes decent money that goes soon . I am curious that it might be one of Jamal Johnson or Rey Williams . The reasons I think this are because they always get rid of someone when they sign someone like this and also Kevin Eiben has been signed and he can still start in this league and as a non import . I heard OBIE mention yesterday that EIBEN could start as well . Also , they drafted a stud at LB that could back up Eiben and learn from EIBEN ….It all makes sense ..I just don’t know which one would be going . My guess is that Rey Williams goes and Eiben moves in there with Plesius backing him up and then they can go with either 2 imports on the OLINE ( 2 tackles and one guard ) or 4 IMPORT DLINEMEN
I can see Rey Williams as the odd man out. We will see.

I hope you are right about Moe Petrus jordon :slight_smile: Hage is also geting a bid older ...One good thing is we have the smartest man in Canada in Peter D so should he not be able to figure all this out for us :slight_smile:

Yes I agree that Rey Williams just might be the odd man out because Eiben is better suited in the middle at this point then say in Jamal Johnson's position .

Again Obie said Eiben and Plesius give us ratio flexibility. Rey Williams will not be part of this team in my opinion. Maybe he gets traded for an O-lineman.

I think the two players I am most excited about are Frederic Plesius and Simon Charbonneau-Campeau.

LB - Frederic Plesius - Frederic is an absolute stud linebacker when he was announced as our pick I actually yelled "YES". After watching him in the Vanier Cup and listening to the announcers talk about him being a 1st round draft pick, I remember saying I hope he falls to us in the draft. I would have liked us to draft a couple O-Lineman with our 3rd and 10th picks so when we traded out of the 1st round I was actually a little upset but selecting Frederic Plesius at 10 quickly changed my mood as I stated above lol. I absolutely love this pick and think he will have an immediate impact for us this season.

SB - Simon Charbonneau-Campeau - I think they might have drafted him today based on the signing of Giguere.. I think it was an awesome pick, to draft a young french receiver out of Sherbrooke who will now learn his trade from arguably the best group of Canadians at his position in the CFL, that will only make him a better player.

With Giguere here now, if Simon Charbonneau-Campeau has any trouble understanding a certain situation or needs a little more clarification because of the language difference Giguere will be there to help. I truly believe that Simon Charbonneau-Campeau has an amazing opportunity to develop into a starting slot receiver in a few years and may take over for Stala when he decides to retire.

The only knock on Simon Charbonneau-Campeau was that he is a little to skinny for a player of his height, but at 6'4" 195lbs, if he works with Giguere and puts on 10-15 more pounds this could be a kid who plays a real long time in the CFL.

Giguere
Plesius
Gascon-Nadon
Charbonneau-Campeau

When Bob said Tigertown was expanding to Quebec, he wasn’t kidding! :lol:

Really impressed with our draft, we got some quality talent that could solidify our dominance for future years.

Why did the Cats pass up on Norman #3 rating on O- linemen for Rockhill rated as #7. ???????????????????? :roll:

Watching the draft this afternoon it seemed to me the TiCat management was in no panic to sign OL players. Where many think we have some real shortcomings, It looks like the management feel they have the players to address this and give Hank the protection and time he needs to connect with this high powered receiving corps. :thup:

They, for some reason, just weren’t interested in Norman. As were Edmonton and Montreal, and Winnipeg and Calgary, both with two chances to take him before B.C. did at #22.

I wonder who the Cats really wanted to pick first. My guess would be Chambers. And, as it turned out, they could have had him. (Coach Cortez was quoted after the draft: “We though there was a lot depth to the draft and we got two picks for one. We weren’t sure if what we wanted would be there at #3 and we felt we’d be better served by getting another pick.”)

Plus, also on the roster – Fortin, Baillargeon, and Jean-Mary. And, seated beside the “French Connection” corner of the dressing can be Forbes, Maveety, Mahoney and Jones, who all have a college and/or hometown connection to Quebec. Being part of a group that size, I hope and expect, will make these Ti-Cats feel “at home” and be less likely to be looking forward to fulfilling their contract here and becoming an Alouette as a free-agent.

If Obie was looking to go with a N/I LB he'd have taken Plesius with his first pick. For this year there's nothing wrong with adding a ST beast who can learn the ropes from a vet like Eiben.

It does appear the war room is content with the Oline as it is now. Hopefully that means Petrus is coming to camp; last year's third rounded, Baillargeon, will be there. It must also be that Hage's rehab is on schedule. Rockhill will most likely spend the year on the PR. Expect three N/I starters on the OLine.

Historically most drafts produce one or two notable contributors and sometimes none. IMHO the TiCats missed a low risk opportunity by not taking Pasztor, a potential all star. He signed an undrafted free agent contract with the Vikings who are deep on the OLine. Tillman thinks he'll be in the CFL sooner than later. Tillman also thinks it wise to get as many N/I on the OLine as possible, I agree.

Starting two n/i receivers (Fantuz, Stala) means Sam and a couple others back-up. We appear a wee bit thin here. Speaking of thin, SCC has impressive CIS numbers but the big question is can he play with the big boys?

Stephen was a smart pick although he'd most likely have been available later.

An important element in this and next year's n/i draft is the expansion draft upcoming with Ottawa. It looks like Obie wanted depth at the n/i positions rather than focusing on one or two that might be the target of those rough riding renegades.

McMaster OL Medeiros and Windsor WR Brescacin went undrafted and would be good guys to invite to camp.

With three starters on the Oline, two receivers, one Dline and one DB the option of two imports in the backfield comes into play (where's Thiggy when you need him?). There is also injury protection in case Hinds goes down; we can always start a n/i at FB.

As with all drafts time will tell. At this point it seems we went for depth; quantity over quality. In Obie I trust. Just win a Grey Cup, baby.

According to Drew, they had Charbonneau-Campeau as their top ranked receiver, so I don’t think Chambers was it.

I missed that, JFL. Thanks for pointing it out.
So now my guess would be Westerman. Can't see anybody else who they would have thought might be taken with the first or second picks.