The 2012 CFL Canadian Draft Thread

I won't be able to take part at work, but I thought I should start this thread for those who either aren't at work or have very accommodating (asleep?) employers. Here is an interesting story I just read about Kyle Quinlan to start things off:

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/story/2012/05/01/sp-cfl-mcmaster-kyle-quinlan.html]http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/s ... inlan.html[/url]

The issue of a Canadian starting quarterback is an interesting one, with no easy solution. See, we have been down this road many times, with a phenomenal quarterback coming from CIS, and fans waiting to see if he can crack a lineup, even as a back-up. You have to consider the import ratio, which was the same issue with Jesse Lumsden, so I’ll use him as an example. It’s great he was a starter, and deserved it. He was every bit as talented as his peers. HOWEVER, there is a downside as well. Should Lumsden get injured, which he did once or twice, to keep the current ratio the team would have to start a Canadian tailback, and that is the problem. While Lumsden could play, there was a huge drop-off in skill between he and the second-string rb. The same problem happens with a Canadian quarterback.

Judanis, Dennison, Chapdelaine, etc, had great college careers, but the competition south of the border is just that much greater. Not just the competition, but the coaching extends year-round (yes, this is becoming more the norm in the CIS as well), the money alloted for football training and facilities is phenomenal. As a Mac alumnus, I am so proud of what the school has become. I proudly have my McMaster University window decal on my car, my grad ring on my middle finger and my Vanier hoody on cold days.

I am hopeful Kyle can cut it, and am very eager to see where he lands, but I only hang on to the hope of him playing by a thread, unfortunately. He has the skill, but the ratio may actually hurt him.

Make sense??? Thoughts? Welcome to discussion on this issue!!!

8) According to Dave Naylor, Winnipeg has a potential deal with Hamilton for #3 overall pick, in exchange
  for #8 and #13 picks, contingent on certain players being available at #3 pick once the draft starts.

The Riders have already made it known that they are taking Ben Heenan at #1 pick.

To Winnipeg for the 8th and 13th pick

Cats now have 8, 10 13 and 17th pick

Would like some clarification, I was always under the impression that the QB position did not count towards the ratio. Is that just the roster ratio and not the Non-Import starters ratio?

Thanks!

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have selected Courtney Stephen with the 8th pick of the draft :thup:

[url=http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/stephen_courtney00.html]http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-foot ... ney00.html[/url]

2010: Sat out the season and made his mark on the "work" team after transferring from Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Earned work team player of the week recognition for the Toledo (11-9) game.

Prior to NIU: Played two seasons as a starting safety at Wilfrid Laurier University in Canada. Selected second team All-Canadian as a sophomore in 2008 when he was also a first team All Ontario University Athletics Conference. Made 59 tackles, with 46 solo, forced two fumbles, recovered three and broke up five passes his sophomore season. Also intercepted two passes for the 7-3 Golden Hawks, who boasted the No. 5 overall defense in the country. WLU was the only team to beat the eventual national champions that year. As a freshman, recorded 54 tackles, 35 solo, broke up nine passes and picked off five en route to second team all-conference and Rookie of the Year honors.

High School: Two-year letterwinner in football for Turner Fenton Secondary School who was named to the Toronto All-Star Football team as a senior. Served as team captain in football his junior and senior years. Played free safety, quarterback, and punt returner. Scored six rushing touchdowns in six games and picked off six passes. Also scored on a punt return and caught a TD pass. Blocked a punt and forced a pair of fumbles. Named MVP of his high school team four times, including twice in football (as a junior and as a senior) and as a sophomore basketball player. His team compiled a 5-1 record his senior season.

Personal: Son of Bertha and George Stephen. Majoring in psychology. His older brother, Patrick, was a four-time letterman and three-time Academic All-American at NIU from 1995-98, and earned a National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award in 1998.

Stephen was an OUA all-star as a sophomore? That's impressive.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have selected LB Frederic Plesius from Laval with the 10th pick of the draft

A Laval, QC native, Fréderick had his first contact with a football when he was 11 years old when he made his debut with the Cowboys de Laval Centre-Sud. After a stint with the Bulldogs de Laval (Midget AAA), he chose the Couguars de Lennoxville to continue his career.

The choice payed off for the linebacker who was brilliant on the Eastern Townships campus: 163 tackles, 10 sacks and six interceptions in three seasons. His performance earned him two nominations on the provincial college All-Star team as well as interest from several American universities, including Buffalo, Louisville, Michigan, North Dakota and Baylor.

Upon reflection, it was with the Baylor University Bears (Waco, Texas) that the strapping 6’1’’ and 245 pounder decided to continue his journey. But the environment he was placed in wasn’t a good fit for him, so he decided to return to his roots and follow the road to Université Laval in 2009.

Happy with his decision, the Consumer Sciences student has had a remarkable second season. He compiled 29 solos tackles, 17 assisted tackles and five sacks. He also managed three interceptions – including two in a single game – with one returned all the way for a touchdown.

These performances are even more impressive when one considers that the Laval defense has only conceded crumbs to its opponents this year. In addition to having allowed the fewest points per game average in Canada (6.4), the Rouge et Or is also the one that had to realize the fewest tackles per game in the country (42 in average).

Glen Constantin, Head Coach:
“Frédérick is definitely one of the most dynamic and productive defender in the country. He has great versatility due to amazing skill set. He has speed to cover receivers and the strength to take on lineman. He has accumulated impressive stats on a defensive unit that leads the conference with a league leading low average of 52 snaps per game. He has demonstrated game changing play ability by causing six of our conference leading 30 turnovers.?

[url=http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/fball/2011-12/files/player_profiles/lav_plesius]http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/fball/ ... av_plesius[/url]

Good picks so far from what I can see. Stephen fills a big need and Plesius has a ton of up-side.

Frederic Plesius is a beast and is a sleeper pick in the draft the Cats made the right desicion by trading down to pick up two quality players !!

:thup:

As much as I'm opposed to selecting players who'd rather be in, and will likely end up in as an F.A. in a couple years, Montreal -- he was the best athlete available when the Cats picked Stephen #8, and still now at #10. The Allwets most certainly would have taken him with the next pick. So, in all, an acceptable decision in blocking the Als while getting an athletic back-up and likely good special teamer for a couple of years.

Please don't get me confused with this person. The Canadian Draft is awesome. Right "Earl"? :wink: Really, the draft is one important aspect of making the CFL different than the AHL, just a farm league few care about as we know around these parts despite the excellent talent in the AHL.

But I'll give you credit for being a CFL fan even though you don't care for some of the rules. :thup:

Tiger-Cats select OL Carson Rockill from Calgary with the 13th pick

PLAYER BIO

2010: Played all 12 games for the Dinos, including the Mitchell Bowl and Vanier Cup … backed up Canada West outstanding lineman Paul Swiston at the left tackle spot and earned one start on the season, Week 5 vs. UBC …

2009: Dressed in six of eight regular season games plus all four playoff games, including the Uteck Bowl and the Vanier Cup …

2008: Redshirted with the Dinos … represented Canada at the IFAF World Junior Championships in Canton, Ohio, winning a silver medal … named to the tournament’s second all-star team along the offensive line …

Before UC: Played along both offensive and defensive lines … suffered Achilles’ injury in early 2008 but recovered in time for Dinos fall camp … won NFL Canada Scholarship from B.C. High School Football Association …

Personal: Parents Derrick and Linda … full name Carson Giovanni Rockhill … graduate of Parksville, B.C.’s Ballenas High School … younger brother of Dinos defensive lineman Brandon Rockhill … born in Nanaimo, B.C. … wants to start his own business after receiving commerce degree from Haskayne School of Business … turned down several U.S. college offers to attend UC …

http://www.godinos.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1639

WOW ! another Solid pick ! :thup:

Looking good !!

Nice to see an O lineman picked.

DL Arnaud Gascon-Nadon is #17 to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Arnaud Gascon-Nadon (born July 10, 1988 in Montreal, Quebec) is a Canadian football defensive lineman who is currently playing CIS football with the Laval Rouge et Or.[1] After the 2011 CIS season, he was ranked as the 13th best player in the Canadian Football League’s Amateur Scouting Bureau January rankings for players eligible in the 2012 CFL Draft, and ninth by players in Canadian Interuniversity Sport.[2] Gascon-Nadon also played for the Rice University Owls in 2008.[3]

Love the Ticats # 10 pick, looks like a Canadain Joe Montford :thup:

20th pick DL Michael Atkinson to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

BOISE STATE CAREER
RS JUNIOR (2011): Appeared in each of the Broncos’ 13 games, starting six…started five games at defensive tackle, and started the season-opener at fullback…major contributor to a Bronco defense that ranked 12th-nationally in scoring defense (18.69), 16th in total defense (320.85), 17th in rushing defense (110.00) and 43rd in passing defense (210.85)…registered 31 tackles (12 solo) on the season, including 2.5 for-loss…career-high five tackles against both Tulsa (Sept. 24) and Arizona State in MAACO Bowl Las Vegas (Dec. 22)…pass break-ups in back-to-back weeks against TCU (Nov. 12) and San Diego State (Nov. 19).
RS SOPHOMORE (2010): Appeared in each of the team’s first four games of 2010…recorded 10 tackles (four solo), including 2.5 tackles-for-loss and a sack…season-high five tackles (two solo) and a sack against New Mexico State (Oct. 2)…also forced a fumble against the Aggies.
RS FRESHMAN (2009): Saw action in nine games as a back-up along the defensive line...finished with nine tackles, including one tackle-for-loss...also recorded one pass break-up…named to the WAC All-Academic Team.
FRESHMAN (2008): Redshirt season...named Boise State's Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year.

HIGH SCHOOL CAREER
Three-year letterman played defensive tackle and fullback…as a senior named the Windsor Essex County Secondary Schools Athletic Association Defensive Player of the Year, first-team all-city as a defensive tackle and a member of the University of Windsor Dream Team…finished season with 78 tackles, three forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 7.5 sacks…also blocked seven kicks (four field goals and three punts) and rushed for 725 yards and seven touchdowns while finishing with 238 yards receiving…as a junior named first-team all-city as a defensive tackle after finishing with 43 tackles, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries with 546 yards rushing and 159 yards receiving…also had 53 tackles with two forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, an interception, four sacks and 10 blocked kicks (five field goals and five punts) for the Essex Ravens traveling squad…as a sophomore named second-team all-city as a fullback…served as a team captain all three seasons at CCHS…high school coach was Jalil Khoury

[url=http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9900&ATCLID=1592381]http://www.broncosports.com/ViewArticle ... ID=1592381[/url]

25th pick WR Simon Charbonneau-Campeau to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats

When the Vert & Or had the opportunity to defeat Laval University Rouge et Or on the last play of the game in the Quebec final on November 13, Sherbrooke quarterback Jean-Philippe Shoiry attempted a pass to star wide receiver Simon Charbonneau-Campeau. Understandably.

Charbonneau had just experienced an extraordinary game, running through the field early in the fourth quarter on a 108 yards passing play, which brought the score to 18-17 in favor of the Rouge et Or.

During the regular season, No. 81 had caught 55 passes for 1,121 yards gains and six touchdowns. It’s the reason why he won the Jeff Russel Award, given to the most valuable player of the RSEQ Football Ligue.

Unfortunately for the duo, the last play to at Laval University Peps was aborted and the hosts won the Dunsmore Cup by a score of 22-17, to the delight of their supporters who have had to sweat until the last second.

“Simon is an athlete with exceptional qualities and size that make it a very difficult player to cover, said the Vert & Or’s head coach André Bolduc. He works extremely hard to improve every day. This is why it has become one of Canada’s best at his position. You want players like him for big plays at the end of the game.”

Now, the fourth year player want pick up where he left last year. He will also be eligible for the next Canadian Football League draft.

"I will work as hard as possible to achieve this new goal, but you never know what can happen, says Charbonneau-Campeau, who is currently ranked fifth by the CFL Central Scouting Bureau. My main goal is to help the Vert & Or to go as far as possible in the playoffs, ideally to the Vanier Cup. "

[url=http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/fball/2011-12/files/player_profiles/she_charbonneau_campeau]http://english.cis-sic.ca/sports/fball/ ... au_campeau[/url]