Thats the Season...

Well who didnt see this coming?
All you fans have hopefully been watching the Eskimos nearly every game, a classic loss for them.
They look strong, then fall apart

DB’s, thats the flaw in the Edmonton Eskimos,

Younger in my eyes, he dosent deserve his Canadian All Star title, he didnt do a DAMN thing for us. I hope you fans see that aswell, ive lost how many times he was beat deep this year

Buhl, seems to be inconsistent and lacks focus

Goss, Robinson, Shabazz were the only good ones, and what happened to Trey Young? the games he played in, he did pretty good
Garret, played alright, hes getting old though

Its times like these i wish we had Frank, and Brady still playing

There’d better be some major changes in coaching, and some personell movement, where see fit

It wasn’t a bad season. We had a winning record, we protected home field (7-2), we made the playoffs and advanced to the East Final. I’d call it a success.

One guy you forgot to mention is Fred Perry. He stepped up his game for the playoffs; that was nice to see.

My big complaint is our O-Line… It just seems like our front guys are either getting tored through, or they’re collapsing into Ricky Ray. They need to give Ray more time.

I’d also like to see some changes in coaching. Some people have mentioned Doug Berry coming here… I don’t know if that’s a rumour or if they’re just having fun… but I hope we don’t hire him. I don’t think I could watch another season with a useless coach. It’s time to bring in someone who knows what he’s doing. We have a great atmosphere right now; we don’t need Berry coming in here and screwing that up.

I think our DB's have been weak for a number of years, we have a hard time stopping the run , I think we need a little teaking and we should be much better next year. The Offence is good but the Problem seems to be the Cordinator , I really can't see a weakness in any areas so maybe It's coaching , Danny M has got to go that's a no Brainer but I hope making it into the East Final didn't save him . Special teams is a disaster how many big punt returns did we allow.
We need new Special teams coach
new defence cordinator
new O cordinator
And of course New Coach , I could even except Danny moving upstairs to a new position. Any way it was a fun year and I'm still proud to be a Esks Fan as always WE ARE STILL THE CLASS OF THE CFL !!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: Have a great off season everyone !! GO OILERS GO!!!

I can't see why the Eskie fans think Danny M is such a great coach. The first year Danny M finished the season in third place. Then he was going to rebuild the Eskimoes. He rebuilt the Eskimoes to three consistant forth place finishes. Now to reward Danny M for all his ineffective coaching skills there is talk of creating a new position in the Eskimo organization and moving him into it. It is beginning to sound like a George Constanza move. Sure is great the Eskimoes are a community based team and do not need to answer to an actual owner.

And as for Ricky Ray never losing a playoff game, well the playoff games in '05 were won by Jason M while Ricky Ray was sitting on the bench.

How many Eskimos fans actually like Danny M.? My guess... not too many.

It does not matter what the fans think - it only matters what Rick Lala thinks. And sense Rick Lala knows lala about football the word is Danny M gets a George Constanza type position in the Eskimo lala organization.

If it doesn't matter what the fans think, then why mention them at all...? Sounds to me like someone's just trolling. :roll:

well a definate improvement over the last few years…danny still has to go…we need a running game (no jesse lumsden please)…the o’line needs to improve to look after the qb’s better…regardless of who it is…but all in all not bad esks…with better special teams coverage we would have beaten al’s in the eastern final…oh well…there is a load of talent here & if we keep most of them we will be a contender next year…b.c. is gonna fall apart , sask is gonna be lousy…calgary / edm will be the western teams to beat next year!!! congrats eskimos… :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

While I was in the stands Saturday and rooting for the Als, there was this teensy-weensy part of me that wanted the Esks to win. An Eskimos-Stampeders Grey Cup would have waken the Eastern Conference up to do something about this terrible disparity between East and West.
I keep having to remind myself that if the fourth-place team in the East has a better record than the third-place team in the west, there would a crossover the other way. But anybody who knows anything at all about the CFL knows that is about as likely to happen as Guatemala winning the world hockey championships.

I saw a headline from 570 News about how our running game is at the top of the list of things that need to improve… I sure hope that’s not a hint that the Eskimos are going to make a serious play at getting Lumsden.

Having him would be great, but what would it cost us? We already have Harris. Having a capable running back isn’t the issue… it’s our inability to stick with the running game. Instead of handing the ball off to our backs, we lob them short passes. We need to stick to the running game. Three attempts for Harris in the East Final…? That’s not sticking with it.

I also read this in a TSN article, which upset me a little…

Maciocia doesn't foresee changes to his job title next year.

“None whatsoever,” said Maciocia, who plans to sit down with club president and CEO Rick LeLacheur in the next two weeks to discuss the past season and look to next year.

[url=http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=256240&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_cfl]http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=256240& ... pStory_cfl[/url]

Unreal…

Is Danny Marriaci getting better?

I don't get the Maciocia hate. Is he perfect? No. But he took a supposedly rebuilding team to the Eastern final. Last year, the scapegoat was supposedly Chapdelaine. This year, it's Maciocia/Worman. But Ray had a banner year and you guys have a fearsome cadre of receivers even without Jason Tucker: Campbell, Mann, Peterson, Ralph. You brought in scads of new players and still finished with a winning record in what was clearly the superior division. Had you not lost Tucker for the season and Perry for most of the season, who knows what might have happened? The words "Ray to Tucker for the TD" make any Als fan wake up at night in a cold sweat, believe me. Put Tucker in the East Division final and things might have turned out quite differently.

I do not want to troll, so please don't take this the wrong way, but Edmonton fans have to stop calling for a coach firing during any season in which the Esks don't win the Grey Cup! There's a lot of parity in this league (well, except for the Tiger-Cats), a lot of talent, and a lot of great coaches. Other teams will have their moment in the sun. Sometimes we don't give enough credit to other teams for just being better on the day. If my Als lose the Grey Cup to Calgary, should I be calling for Trestman to be fired? Not on your life!

As an Als fan, I feel your pain. My Als have made it to the Grey Cup 5 times in the past 8 years. We've only won once. Getting there is a privilege, not a right, no matter how good you are.

For me, it wasn't really about winning the Grey Cup this season. If you look in one of the other topics, I had two goals for this season: Finished with a winning record and make the playoffs. I didn't expect us to win the division or win the Grey Cup, etc. I just wanted us back in the playoffs.

I pretty much lost any faith I had in Danny M. last season when we kept blowing lead after lead. We'd play great in the first quarter and then come out in the second like it was a meaningless exhibition game. And you can still see that now. There's also a question of preparedness. Being blown out by Montreal was one thing... but then to get blown out by Saskatchewan a few weeks later? It's like one week we're a Grey Cup team, and the next we're a cellar dweller team.

Add in the coaches inability to find and sustain a running game... It's like it's just easier to throw them short passes than to hand the ball off to them.

But by your definition, wasn't this season more than a success? Not only did you finish with a winning record and a playoff berth, you won a playoff round and got to a division final.

I pretty much lost any faith I had in Danny M. last season when we kept blowing lead after lead. We'd play great in the first quarter and then come out in the second like it was a meaningless exhibition game. And you can still see that now. There's also a question of preparedness. Being blown out by Montreal was one thing... but then to get blown out by Saskatchewan a few weeks later? It's like one week we're a Grey Cup team, and the next we're a cellar dweller team.
This is where I would make Rick Campbell accountable, not Maciocia. Danny M. is an offensive coach. Campbell has been in charge of the D the past few years, and has to shoulder some of the blame for those second-half collapses. The offense was potent all season long, except for a couple of games when Ray went into the tank (which happens to any QB, no matter how good he is), and this was despite the lack of a sustained running game.

Looking back on last week's east final, Campbell doesn't seem able to make adjustments once the other team figures out what he's doing on defense. In the first quarter, you guys had Calvillo completely stymied. As the second quarter wore on, you could see Montreal's offense gradually getting on track as they figured out what Edmonton was doing and countered with adjustments of their own. Campbell didn't adjust and the result was that we won the time of possession battle by about six minutes.

If you're looking for accountability, I would start with Rick Campbell. Let's not forget the infamous miracle Stegall TD the season before, which was on his watch as defensive coordinator.

Add in the coaches inability to find and sustain a running game... It's like it's just easier to throw them short passes than to hand the ball off to them.
I fault Maciocia here, but as a director of player personnel, not as a coach. Frankly, you guys haven't brought in top-quality running backs to challenge for the feature back spot in training camp, and it's hampered the success of your ground game.

Campbell is accountable, as well, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Danny M. gone, and I'm sure a lot of Eskimos fans would agree. I think both are accountable because as you said, Campbell can't seem to make the necessary adjustments, and there have been games (especially last season) where our offence ran out of gas, and that would have to be blamed on Danny M. Both coaches need to go.

I don't know if you could blame personnel for this problem, at least not this season. We have AJ Harris who is a capable back... when he's used as one. In his first game, he rushed for 89 yards and 2 TDs.

I have to agree with Chief, our O-line was pretty bad. We can't open holes for the run and nearly got Ray killed a few times this year, especially in east final. Management seems to have a good pipeline on receivers and D-line, need to get some hogs and soon.

I was very happy to see we quit trying 2 yard passes on 2nd and 10 (at least for the most part), am I the only one who hated that?

I agree with you, the o line has been TERRIBLE the past 4 years (even when we won the 2005 Grey Cup)
i would pick Aj Harris over Lumbsden any day of the week, Harris in my eyes is way better.
Add in McCarty, and our backfield is a real threat

And Ray is to blame for the 2 yard passes when you need 10 on 2nd and long... What i think is you should go DEEP on 2nd and 10 unless theres an open receiver thats 11 yards down the field, EVEN IF you get picked off on a 60 yard pass, and the DB is tackled within a few yards of his INT, its like a Punt, so there is almost NO harm in going deep on 2nd and 10, ESPECIALY when we have Campbell, Peterson, Stamps, and Mann.

How is Ray to blame? He doesn't call his own plays. He only receives a package of plays from the sidelines.

I'm not sure I blame the QB either, since Worman took over as OC the deep plays came back. I like the deep play call on 2nd and long (not a long bomb just more than 10 yards), at least there's some effort to convert that way. Just my opinion.