thanks refs

That is becoming a common litany from CFL fans…

While some are blaming the refs for the loss, I am not. The refs were one of many factors that contributed to the Ti-Cats losing. I even said as much eariler:

There are always a lot of holding calls, and those need to be enforced much more consistently as well. The excuse that “there’s holding on every play” isn’t kosher anymore. The refs need to all be on the same page. I don’t just mean each crew, but every ref league-wide.

Normally, I would give the refs a little leeway, but the crew for the Cats-Stamps game will make these same kind of errors in Week 15. I guess in that way they are consistent, lol.

And since I was at the game (and therefore didn’t have access to any commentating), could someone please tell me why Henry Burris was given a penalty? I have no idea why he was given one.

Glad they've started calling the Riders for receivers being offside. It was getting ridiculous. Receiver would be two yards across the line as the ball was being snapped and no call.

So far it’s just you :smiley: :smiley:

It seems to me that reffing has improved in the past few years. You have to agree that video replay is a big part of that. It's not perfect, but IMO has really made the game better. That's just another reason why the CFL is great - always looking to improve. And that's the opposite of that joke of a world cup going on right now. The officiating in that sport is something to complain about, but they'll never change. People wonder why soccer isn't popular here in N America!?!?

Proulx and his crew are the worst in the league. Every game there are terrible calls and confusion. Turf Proulx.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSS

Watching the entire game replay i'm even more unimpressed before.I believe I counted 3 missed PI's against Calgary, a procedure that wasn't one against Calgary, a PI call that was totally bogus against Hamilton, a holding call that was totally bogus against Hamilton, a couple or three holds that didn't get called against Hamilton and maybe 1 hold missed against Calgary.That's about all I can remember.Terrible, terrible reffing.I'm putting this game in the past and praying that this was the 1 ungodly mistake that the refs make for the season.
GO CATS GO!

your OPINION has been noted

Too bad we’ll never know the league’s opinion. It would be nice if we had some transparency in regards to officiating in the CFL. This FIFA-like secrecy with officials needs to stop.

who cares. really if the league officials said… yeah they should have been called PI, whats that gonna do? they arent gonna reverse the score.

It’s a step in the right direction. It won’t change anything, but neither will hiding the officials from criticism. More transparency makes for a more respected game. Look at all the furor over the US-Slovenia World Cup match. In fact, just look at the entire World Cup! During the entire tournament all people would talk about was the officiating and how terrible it was, the two worst being the no-call on the Frank Lampard goal and the phantom foul which negated the USA’s goal. FIFA sat back and did nothing. In the eyes on many the greatest tournament in the world was sullied by poor officiating. Do we need to get to that level in the CFL before we, at worst, get officials admitting their mistakes? Look at what it did for Jim Joyce in baseball when he admitted he messed up Armando Galaraga’s perfect game. While it didn’t change anything, look at the outpouring of support Joyce got afterward.

Nothing can change what happens on the field of play, but having them say nothing serves no one.

That’s going to get their eye’s checked, maybe put them through another year of reffing school and fire someone if necessary.Refs are there to keep order, not to cost teams points, drive’s and/or games because of their incompetence.Admitting their huge miscalls is the first step to virtually eliminating games ruined by poor reffing.
Like I said, this one i’ll give them.

I suggest public flogging, clapping 'em in stocks, tar and feathering, or some other form of extreme public humiliation for not being “transparent.” Once these guys know that their low-paying, part-time career is on the line they’ll snap right into shape, stop making mistakes, and publicly proclaim their guilt.

Nevermind that last season the head of officials had a regular blog on this site in which controversial calls, and the decisions surrounding them, were regularly discussed. That’s not good enough. They should have prime-time major news event coverage in which Lloyd Robertson rakes them over the coals and grills them about every minute decision they make. That’s the only way they’ll rightfully pay penance for their malfeasance. :expressionless:

I think the refs are doing a good job and we should leave them alone to do it. If they make a mistake now and then, that’s football, and I’ll wager nobody is more aware of those mistakes than they are. I have a lot of respect for these guys. They have worked very hard to be where they are, and despite the occasional missed/non-call, they are the best at what they do.

Because public floggings is what I was getting at. :roll: Talk about taking an innocuous comment and completely going in the opposite direction.

Is it wrong to want accountability? We hold everyone else accountable for their actions, be they players or coaches, but refs are somehow off limits? NFL officials are also part time, but that doesn’t stop the VP of Officiating from going on NFL Network each week to discuss the controversial calls from the prior week.

We expect improvement from year to year, and on the whole, I do believe that refs do a good job. This past game, while an aberration, had unacceptable levels on inaccuracy, and the fact that the league has not come out and admonished the crew for their blatant mistakes, smacks of FIFA-like arrogance. Officials are humans like everyone else. Like everyone else, they make mistakes. When I make a mistake, I apologize for it. CFL officials should, at the very minimum, do the same. It won’t change anything, but an admission of wrongdoing goes a long way.

Good point. He admitted his mistake and was actually given’ a standing ovation by the fans the next day.

With all due respect to fans, the refs get a lot LESS calls wrong than you'd think. Fan knowledge of what a real infraction consists of is relatively low and mostly importantly, the officials are five yards from the play...the cameras (or fan in the stands) are usually 40 yards away. You would be astounded at how different a play can look from up close.

By a time an official gets to the CFL he's usually spent 8 to 10 years as an amateur ref and done close to 500 games. As well, he's spent hundreds of hours studying the rule book and being raked over the coals in film sessions on CIS and Junior games...virtually every CFL has an astounding amount of knowledge about the rules and the game.

Officials are not perfect of course, and they do make mistakes, but given a football game is 140 -160 plays in duration, I'm still waiting to see a game actually decided by a referee's call or lack thereof.

Only when it already exists. As for the unacceptable level of mistakes — says you — and your desire for public humiliation, I guess you weren’t paying attention last season when the director of officiating did in fact make a public apology for a missed/eroneous call in a Montreal-BC game. They should not be making public apologies just because you don’t happen to like the calls they made. If it can’t be shown to have been a clearly defined, obvious, demonstrable erroneous decision as defined by the rules, then they have nothing to apologize for. These aren’t public servants, they’re part time professionals and human beings with families to feed, who have worked for years to get where they are. They are professionals who answer to other expert professionals for their performance, not to John Q. Fan and his interpretation of the rules.

if they had to ref according to the rediculous standards stated by some posters here, then there would be a very big shortage of refs and it would be goodbye cfl.

Thank God for those who choose to ref and do their best at it so we can have our game.

Just wondering....during the Lions/Riders game why wasnt there a penalty against Barin Simpson for throwing Casey Printers to the turf clearly after the whistle was blown. I believe it was early in the first quarter.