Thankfully the CFLPA didn't get their way !

The league was a 100% correct at what it gave the players for a increase this spring . Some on this site wanted the league to spend like drunken sailors on " potential " revenue . In a gate driven league , attendance was down and interest was not at a all time high . Montreal couldn't sell out a 25 k stadium for the playoffs , Edmonton fans largely ignored their WS vs SK. Toronto is a complete disaster . None of the above , screams " jackpot " for the players . The league has always gone in cycles and the league may be entering a rough patch ? Thankfully the league was fiscally responsible. A lot of positives too , with Hamilton finally getting in to their Stadium, a well played and officiated GC game that was broadcast on the main ESPN network .

Unfortunately, there is a lot of truth to this.

We may be entering a lull and it is better to be fiscally responsible. If the next TV deal does end up being in the $80-$100M range (which I believe it will), there will be more money to share with the players. Sadly, that doesn't help the players playing today.

Ya probably another $600,000 more for the players/team while the owners pocket another $2,-4,000,000/team.

by kasps » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:13 am The league was a 100% correct at what it gave the players for a increase this spring . Some on this site wanted the league to spend like drunken sailors on " potential " revenue . In a gate driven league ,

This is plain ridiculous !!
One of the major factors why there was no momentum at all in this 2014 CFL season was the way the owners and BOG - treated the players - and the perception there in. With Billionaires like bob Young , and multi millionaires like Wetenhal and Braley - the CFL shot them selves in the foot - with the average Canadian - non import players salary about 60,000 per year before the new deal - and even after reports of the entire avg. . salary being 90,000 plus - the owners looked liked Scrooges - let's not be enamoured by the owners - and their sob story - they have had happy days for quite awhile and with the new deal they have the golden pot at the end of each season and not the rainbow . Even the goofy look on Cohon's face the entire process - saying the Alouettes would lose money with this deal - come on they gross close to 2 million per game with
Approx 6 million in sponsorships - add tv money and their french media income they are doing very well-
Cohon probably made more allowance per year as a teenager then the avg cfl player makes today .
The players bit the bullet for at least the last 2 previous agreements - even giving up their revenues sharing %
For the good of the league - with the promise to,have it reinstated - promises Are made to be broken I guess ?
The Argos will lose money until they change venues - no rocket science here - but the rest well - we may say
Are comfortable and smiling .
When the Alouettes can have the largest coaching staff - and before the season starts release their OC - what 150-200,000 per year and cry about giving the players an increment of 50,000 per year for 50 plus players less then 1000 per player increase something is wrong . They want us to believe this is a Mom and Pop business
There is a reason for that - when the Grey Cup host team/ owner can net 10 to 15 million per year in this new area of prosperity there is no way they want to share it with the players . The players are getting the raw end of the deal - were they asking for too much probably but the extra 2.7 million per year should have been split down the middle . Not given just 20% . Did the players gass it this season ? I don't know but I know there passion and heart was not 100% behind the league - owners - or the success of the league - we have all heard happy wife - happy life - what about happy CFL Player equals a happy prosperous Season - I think the owners and BOG shot themselves in The foot - their greed turned off a lot of peoples in big numbers - fans and players
Hopefully we can see this be rectified before the next television deals comes up - are you willing to watch and experience another 4 or 5 years of what we just went thru?

Wow.. this takes me back. You may be up to something. I remember 13-14 years ago in MLS, I've watched by far the worst 1 and half seasons with a dramatic drop in on-field quality from the previous years, with many more blatant/unforced errors and pace of the game turned much slower etc. And, coincidentally, it happened right after the players lost a huge and costly lawsuit (to dismantle Single-Entity) against the league. I remember a new CBA also happening a year or so of that where the players again felt shafted. The league's financial situation was really dire at the time with no paid TV contract and attendance much lower and paying huge rents to other stadium landlords. But the players still felt they deserved a lot more, and when they didn't get it their attitude throughout the season seem to have turned "fine, you get what you paid for" attitude and had the look of 'mailing it in' en masse. We were even talking about this on the bigsoccer forum, and some agreed that something fishy going on there. I now wonder what really happened to the CFL season this year.

I've said it a million times. The players are getting screwed. They seem to be getting about 25% of team revenues. S/b closer to 50% IMO. Any way you look at it, the league could easily afford a couple million $ increase in the cap.

Greed , are you kidding ? Bob Young has lost so much money on the Ticats , he kept them afloat. The new stadium will never repay what he has lost , not even close. The Argo's are bleeding ridiculous amounts of money and could disappear. The Average attendance in the East will be 21 k. That doesn't scream " profit " It's Funny how nobody mentions what the team's expenditure's are for the year???? Look what happened in the 80'S after years of huge crowds the Al's pulled in........ they spent like drunken sailor's and went under. Cohen was completely right and him easily winning the labour dispute is proof of that !

Cohon won the labour dispute because the players don't have anywhere else to go. Also, when you're making 50k a year and paying for two households half the year you really can't afford to go on strike. Bob Young may or may not have lost millions, but we don't really know, since no one here has access to the Cats financials.

The league showed its contempt for its employees in the CBA, though incompetence of the PA`s executive was also likely a factor.

Bob young didnt "may or may have not lost millions". He absolutely did lose tens if millions. Especially when he first took over when the cats were bankrupt.

The cba was fair. The league cant be giving into player demands because of one new tv deal. Look at attendance this year. Imagine the players were making too much and teams start filing for bankruptcy like the argos and ticats did. Nobody would be lining up to buy teams. You could kiss the argos good bye. And all those players who demanded higher salaries wouldnt have jobs or a league to play in.

In the end its a business. If the owners dont make money they'll take their billions and invest it elsewhere. You can always find football players. Theres 2 major football leagues in the world vs how many soccer, baseball, hockey, basketball ball leagues. You cant find owners who ar millionaires or billionaires looking to invest in the CFL.

most of the players this year did not even earn half their salaries. If they players are disgruntled, send them packing. Lots of players in college who, failing to land an NFL job, will jump at the chance to play cfl under present agreement in the upcoming years.

Exactly and CIS players who hate the CFL because they can't even make the CFL due to whatever are basically guys who don't have what it takes to play pro ball. Kyle Quinlan quit because he knows deep down he couldn't cut it at the CFL level. You gotta keep playing despite rule issues or whatever, do whatever it takes. Kyle quit, end. Mind you under the current rules, change the CFL to only Canadians, and I'd probably do that if I had the money of a Bill Gates, then that is a different story. Hey Kyle? I'm sure he is happy as a paper pusher at Mac in some sort of marketing position handed to him though and never giving it his all at the pro level. It is what it is.

Not even all the guys on the "golden" Rouge et Or can make the CFL Constantine knows that only too well. And bugs the living piss out of him only too well.

But McMaster is all about "evidence based medicine" and "clinical practice guidelines" so do what you have to do to "meet the standards", nothing more nothing less, and you'll flourish under the Mac system. Breed them according to that mentality and what have you, a quitter like a Kyle Quinlan some might say.

what is your beef with mac and quinlan? lay off the personal attacks. Did mac reject you or your kid during admissions or something?

I know Kyle personally and there were other factors at play in the decision. Its his life and he can do as he pleases.

what does that rant have to do with this thread anyways?

most of the players this year did not even earn half their salaries
BS !! They earned every penny I paid them this year ... Scoring was down ... Big effing deal ... the East got off to a slow start - but recovered second half ... there were injuries galore all over the league ... but it all turned out good in my opinion ... good except for the horrible referees that litter the league with their incompetence that is.
Exactly and CIS players who hate the CFL because they can't even make the CFL due to whatever are basically guys who don't have what it takes to play pro ball. Kyle Quinlan quit because he knows deep down he couldn't cut it at the CFL level. You gotta keep playing despite rule issues or whatever, do whatever it takes. Kyle quit, end. Mind you under the current rules, change the CFL to only Canadians, and I'd probably do that if I had the money of a Bill Gates, then that is a different story. Hey Kyle? I'm sure he is happy as a paper pusher at Mac in some sort of marketing position handed to him though and never giving it his all at the pro level. It is what it is.

Not even all the guys on the "golden" Rouge et Or can make the CFL Constantine knows that only too well. And bugs the living **** out of him only too well.

But McMaster is all about "evidence based medicine" and "clinical practice guidelines" so do what you have to do to "meet the standards", nothing more nothing less, and you'll flourish under the Mac system. Breed them according to that mentality and what have you, a quitter like a Kyle Quinlan some might say.

Where to begin with this diatribe of epic FAIL proportions ?!

Can you name some of these CIS players that "hate the CFL"? No ? Didn't think so !

I don't know about you ... but I played CIS football ... I don't remember any of my team mates - EVER - saying anything bad about the CFL ... the few guys I did speak to always remarked how effing cool it would be to play for their home region ...

and what in the #$%@ is your problem with Kyle Quinlan and (it appears) the entire McMaster football program !??
You are disparaging a football program that made it to the Vanier Cup 3 of the last 5 years ... successful by ANY measure ... throw in an EPIC, for the AGES victory over Laval, and a hard fought down to the last play of the game battle with Montreal - and you have the makings of a near University Dynasty !!

"Not even ALL the guys on Laval can make the CFL "???!!! WTF!!!?? How many teams can say that ALL their players can make the jump to the next, professional level ... probably says more about the talent in the CFL, and your lack of appreciation of what it actually takes to be a Pro - than the team, players, and coach you are trying to insult.

And ALL this crap had what, EXACTLY - to do with the CFLPA bargaining agreement, anyway ??!!

its not about the scoring. Its about how the incompetent players were unable to play the game within the rules, committing foul after foul. Refs did their jobs as they should, as well as any refs in any league in any sport. The players sucked.

the refs sucked. Ownership players and league officials have admitted the quality needs to improve. Thats no secret.

For sure. The play and officials both suffered this year. Investing in both would help. The question is, will the league make the necessary investment to change any of that?

You know this how exactly? Because he said so? If you're that gullible, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Its about how the incompetent players were unable to play the game within the rules,
I just watched a Patriot hit a Charger - a yard out of bounds ... no flag throw... thank-you ref for realizing it's football !!!

I gotta wonder how much you obey traffic laws and by-laws. You don't seem to have much respect for rules and such.

??? I know this because the team was BANKRUPT. INSOLVENT. And Bob Young purchased them. When you purchase a bankrupt asset you take on all its debt and liabilities. So ya right when he purchased the team he lost millions of dollars.

So no not because he said so. Because the courts said so. You shouldn't assume what my basis is from.

Also It may come as a surprise to you. But Bob Young isn't out to get anyone or rip any fans off. The man has made BILLIONS from computer software.

He could care less if he lost a couple million from the ticats because its play money for him. He has no incentive to lie about the team not being profitable in the former stadium and now being profitable in the new stadium. He aint lying about it.