TFC vs a bunch of other stuff.(Off of Construction Thread)

The NASL is only a tier two league and they are readily availble for teams like the Montreal import to step in until they can gain exception into the tier one MLS. So their job has been done with all three amjor Canadian cities Montreal, toronto, and Vancouver all obtaining MLS franchises the futre is very bright for the MLS and the higher level of soccer. The new stadium in Ottawa is the perfect fit for what the MLS is looking for expect them to get into the MLS when expansion is right. With another country competing for a spot for the concaf team world cup in Canada a 4th MLS franchise in Ottawa will only strengthen the league. The Current Canadian Soccer league is a tier hree level in which the MLS and Nasl teams are placing their reserve division two franchises and a Canadian Contract with TSN/RDS can only strenghen the MLS. Edmonton seems happy in the NASL with Foote field being the perfect venue. A move to Commonwelth woud be needed if they want an MLS team.
Quebec City also looking to grow into a sports town. Once they get the NHL team back the CFL and possibily a soccer team starting in the NASL moving quickly moving to the MLS will hepl privide the stadium needed in the way of the Saputo field Model and all sports stadium of 25-30 though for the CFL and MLS. QC is looking to grow into a sports town and thanks to RDS the dominate french population will be able to be a huge part of the fan base. Montreal and Quebec City with Provincial rivalries in the NHL, CFL, and MLS will be a winner for QC, the leagues and the province.
THINK POSSITIVE EVERYONE. BE OPTOMISTIC. QC IS ON THE RISE IN POPULATION AND ON THE PRO SPORTS FRONT AND WILL REAPREASENT THE EASTERN HALF OF THE QUEBEC REGION WHERE AS MONTREAL IS 5 OR SO MILLION DEEP IN THE METRO AREA TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES. LOOK FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF AN ALL CANADIAN CONFERENCE IN THE MLS IN THE NEST DECADE

calling the MLS tier 1 is a bit of an exaggeration.
more like tier 10

?? not sure what you mean. What tiers are above MLS in North America?

For US and Canada the MLS is Tier I. of course in Europe and other parts of the world their Tier one leagues are much better but in The US and Canada the North American football takes a top seat in the sports world in both countries. The NFL and CFL are what we call football. Football or Soccer as we call it may be the most popular sport in the world but not in Canada or the US. The football with helmets pads goalpost touchdowns is football for us.

No, soccer is the most popular sport in Canada. It has more players than any other sport!!

because its cheap, not because its fun.

how many of those players are girls?
girl sports don't count :stuck_out_tongue:

??
The statement was the "most popular" sport in Canada - easy it's soccer. I would say the sport with the most fun too - I used to watch my daughter play and the girls have a lot of fun. I watch my nephew play in the under 10 league they have a lot of fun. It's a fun sport and it's cheap.

By the way TFC outdraws the Argos

I think he means that parents will register their kids in soccer because it's relatively inexpensive and "safer" than football or hockey. When we had the Melnyk proposal to compete against, I recall coming across a stat to the effect that, in Ontario, 80-something percent of kids in soccer were under 16 or 17 (going on memory, so bear with me). So enrollment numbers might be high but not necessarily due to a great love for the sport itself.

I would think viewers/attendance would be a better measuring stick. If soccer outdraws the Argos (in person and in ratings), then at least for that market, i would be a believer.

Hello all let me umm restate my comment on North Anerican Football and Soccer (football ) It is most popular among the number of participants that play at all levels but when it comes to watching on Television the Networks and fans are much more likely to watch our version of football with QBs helmets etc.
There are definitely more youth programs in US/Canada and their are even more pro teams in Canada and even the US. The CFL however is much more popular for sports fans to watch at games and on TV opposed to the CSL a tier 3 league. Even the tier one MLS ( Toronto FC, Montreal impact, Vancouver Whitecaps) and tier II NASL in Edmonton is still not as popular nor get the television ratings of the CFL. The CONCAF, the soccer championship in Canada is no where near what the Grey Cup is to Canada.
Although there is definetely a place for soccer(football) in the US/Canada but soccer still comes in behind Hockey and Football as the 3rd sport and is 5th in the US still.

As someone stated it is a much cheaper, safer sport for youth and their is a huge female participation and fan base for women's National soccer in both US and Canada. Both countries have top ranked teams for women's programs

Stop with your BS
TFC has not sold out a game in the last 2 years, their last game did 19,000 the Argos did 22,000
TFC is lucky if their TV ratings hit 100,000 the Argos get 8 times that, with their last game doing over 800,000. Lots of kids play soccer, so what, after their done playing the sports nobody watches it. TFC has 18,000 season ticket holders, which is good, but with the season they are having, look around BMO, you would be hard press to say 10,000 fans really went to the games. Being owned by MLSE has it's advantages with the media not asking or printing the tough questions. When the Jays or Argos get poor attandance, then its noted in every sports page, but not when 9,000 people show up for TFC, same with the Raptors and the 13,000 they really get for games the last few years

MY mistake, the last TFC game on WED Aug 1 at BMO a game in the CONCACAF league, TFC drew 5,000 people, wow

flutie0202 said:

Stop with your BS TFC has not sold out a game in the last 2 years, their last game did 19,000 the Argos did 22,000 TFC is lucky if their TV ratings hit 100,000 the Argos get 8 times that, with their last game doing over 800,000. Lots of kids play soccer, so what, after their done playing the sports nobody watches it. TFC has 18,000 season ticket holders, which is good, but with the season they are having, look around BMO, you would be hard press to say 10,000 fans really went to the games. Being owned by MLSE has it's advantages with the media not asking or printing the tough questions. When the Jays or Argos get poor attandance, then its noted in every sports page, but not when 9,000 people show up for TFC, same with the Raptors and the 13,000 they really get for games the last few years

MY mistake, the last TFC game on WED Aug 1 at BMO a game in the CONCACAF league, TFC drew 5,000 people, wow

You don't get it do you? TFC easily outdraws the Argos, check the numbers.
So before you start flaming me just READ MY POST, I stated that TFC outdraws the Argos, I stand by it, I was talking about TOTAL ATTENDANCE. More people will see TFC than the Argos.

TFC attracted over 400,000 fans last year. Yes they are way down this year with a terrible team but they will still outdraw the Argos - you forget that they have 20 home games PLUS the CONCAF and Friendlies at the Rogers Centre.

As for the Raptors same again You jut don't get it!!! The Raptors may draw 13,000 a game but they play 40 games!!
That's over 500,000 people paying over $80 a ticket.

The Jays will attract over 2 MILLION FANS
The ARgos will barely attract 200,000 fans by far the lowest attendance of all the professional teams in Toronto.

By the way TFC attracted 36,000 fans at the Rogers Centre a couple of weeks ago. Why didn't you mention that????
My nephew went to the game TFC vs Liverpool, the paid $60 a ticket. In May went to see TFC at the Rogers Centre when Beckham was playing - over 50,000 in the stadium.

Good Heavens!!! There is a hell of a difference in attendance for total number of games played versus per game average. If the Argos played twenty home games, they would outdraw TFC. If they played eighty home games, they would outdraw the Leafs. Most of us can tell the difference. It's not rocket science; although it looks like it is to you.

Exactly!! My point is that the CFL is a gate driven league and when you have only 9 games a year, you'd better put enough bums in the seats. The new Ottawa team is going to have a soccer team too, which means another 18 or 20 dates a night at Frank Clair. They may not attract anywhere near a 22,000 crowd but when you have 20 home games plus exhibition games against some foreign teams you can make some money.

This guy was mocking me because I said that TFC attracts more fans than the Argos. The Argos only attracted 189,000 fans last year - TFC attracted over 300,000

Ugh. any more news on what's happening at the stadium in Lansdowne Park

That’s was not your point and you know it. When people talk of teams out drawing each other, they are talking about a PER GAME average, not the numbers of Game played by each team.

. I can't believe you are comparing sports that play as much as 162 games a year, to a sports that plays 9 games a year. Even if the Argos packed the Dome for each game and sold it out, they still would be outdrawed by the other T.O teams, due to playing only 9 games. Your logic makes no since. That is why people base it on a per game average

But that was my point in the posting .........................that TFC that can attract over 300,000 fans over a 20 PLUS schedule and charge $50 a ticket is going to bring in more revenue than an Argo team at 20,000 fans times 9 games at $40 a ticket.

CFL teams have to attract big crowds in just 9 games or they can't survive. The Argos with their lack of support can't attract 20,000 fans to the Rogers Centre for one game every two weeks or so. Teams have to look at other ways to make revenue.
In Ottawa the CFL team will have a Soccer team in the NASL, you may not like soccer but a lot of people do and in a place like Ottawa it's going to be a money maker.

I'm not sure what all the hate for mikem is about?

Yeah, he didn't say at first that he was looking at total attendance over a season, but he clarified his point, and it is an accurate point.

He's not fudging #'s. For the time being, TFC is charging $50 avg, maybe more, and is 'selling out' there stadium for regular season games. Now realistically, we know that the party is about to end and it has been in serious decline for 2 years.

But cut him some slack, especially when he is right.

How can you dispute the fact that a CFL team needs to maximize there 9-10 games a year? Excluding television, TFC does out draw the Argos. Plain and simple.