Tell Me To My Face - Meh...

Just finished reading the book Tell Me To My Face.

Not very impressed.

The grammar in the book was HORRENDOUS! I wonder if Steve Milton (co-author) had anyone proof read it. There were more mistakes in this book than ANY book I have ever read. Countless mistakes! But I battled through because I knew what they were trying to say... it just wasn't written properly...

And that's where we get to the actually story...

I was never alive to see Angelo Mosca play... but I always heard great things about his play. Well... this book basically just made me think that he is/was an ARROGANT a-hole. Angelo Mosca is Angelo Mosca's biggest fan! I was not impressed. Yes, he had a terrible upbringing and I really found myself feeling for him... but over 70 years you'd think you would straighten yourself out... and don't tell me he did... we've all seen the fight during the banquet.

All in all... as a Ticats fan this book was the equivalent of finding out that Santa isn't real. It takes a hero and makes him... not so special.

The mistakes were inconsequential for me.

I loved the book. I have a different impression of Mosca (before and after reading the book) than you do.

I love that old school football era and its attitudes.

I also really enjoyed the “old Hamilton” in the books. A fun journey for sure.

One complaint is the inferior binding. My book started falling apart without be handled all that much.

http://www.halloffamememorabilia.com/images/products/p-565714-angelo-mosca-hamilton-tiger-cats-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-cfl-photo-aj-mosa580021.jpg

Angelo Mosca never claimed to be a hero. He's a flawed human being just like the rest of us. If you are looking for heros, then Mother Teresa or Gandi would be excellent choices. I also read the book and thought that Big Ang has overcome quite a bit in his lifetime. Give him credit for telling his story, warts and all. I saw #68 play . He was big, fast, and nasty. We could have used him this year on the Dline.

Pat Lynch(the old guy)

If you meet Mosca outside of any football event, you’ll find out just how arrogant he is.

I'm not looking for a hero... just a guy that doesn't love himself so darn much.

Mr. Mosca is a Great Guy, he always takes the time to speak to fans and sign autograghs. Quick Story, the train tour he was signing autographs in the tent and cut it short i dont think he was feeling well. when i left i noiced a big crowd in the parking lot, Guess who, Mr. Mosca, that was 2 Hours later. :thup: He always gives his time to promoe the game. :thup:

Anglo Mosca is a Hamilton icon. His life isn't about his inability to use proper English. It was about being
one of the greatest defensive tackles to play the Canadian game. I read his book too and I loved it.

Steve Milton, one of the best sports writers ever, had the task of helping Ang convey to the public, what
his life was all about and he did a masterful job.

The book may never win a Pulitzer prize, but to the average CFL fan, it is very entertaining.

Fortunately, he attends a lot of events … so one day you’ll probably have the chance to tell him to his face.

If you want to read a good book try "When Pride Still Mattered" autobiography of Vince Lombardi, author David Maraniss.

I have met Mosca publicly and, even thought he didn't know who I was, he still shook my hand and talked to my two grandkids like he knew them all his life. Great guy in my opinion.

I have met Mosca in person in 1998. It was just he and I talking together at the Hall of Fame and for a good 15-20 min. I saw no hint of an ego. He has a very warm presence.

I have never read the book so I cannot comment on that but I met a man that seemed more like a very kind father/uncle type.

I used to be an autograph seeker as a kid. Took my book to the Quarterback club meetings and to the old Hamilton Red Wing games with pen in hand. It was a thrill not only to have the signatures, but to stand close enough to these people that I admired so.

Unfortunately, I had a few encounters over those years that were not so enjoyable, and that led me to give up the practice. That is not to say that all have a similar attitude, just that I lost interest because of my experience. I lost the book a long time ago.

As such, I don't seek out autographs, or even meeting players or other notables except for a couple of guitarists.

Looking at the action picture above, and contrast that with how I've viewed Mr. Mosca recently on TV, to me, it's sad to see how the many years of professional football and wrestling have taken its toll.

But, in my memory, he will always be a GREAT player.

Make sure you also read Garney Henley's book, "A Gentleman and a Tiger." It is written about the same era. There are stil copies floating around

Met Mr. Mosca twice during my lifetime, both cordial in manner and with apparent civic pride.

The first meeting was as a young teen at an MD benefit, while the most recent during a TiCats/Als game this past September.
Angelo was present for the halftime tribute for his old teammate Garney Henley, who was surrounded by a throng of fans clamoring for his attention and autographs.

Alone and watching intently, in the center concourse corridor leading to the stadium field, with a gaze and body language revealing utmost admiration and support for his dear friend, stood the iconic King Kong Mosca, away from the fracas seemingly to avoid interruption of Henley's deserved thunder.

With slight trepidation, I approached this imposing man and asked for an autograph, in which the gentle giant cheerfully agreed, while engaging in light pleasantries and a subsequent genial pat on the shoulder as if I were a well acquainted chum.

Angelo then turned his attention back towards his former teammate, content in honoring from the shadows.

A great TigerCat.
The Legend continues...

http://0fa2e81a8076f19f91f7-86b8d13c972971f49857d88ba0b31199.r89.cf2.rackcdn.com/uploads/article/photo/203/Mosca.jpg

Angelo Mosca couldn’t take 3 steps without being stopped for an autograph or a photo.

Everyone at today’s Fan Celebration, it seemed, wanted a moment with the CFL legend.

I can only recall one other time during our cross country tour when a player garnered such a response- George Reed in Medicine Hat.

Both CFL greats turned grown men into swooning adorers.

I asked Ange what it’s like to get such a response after all these years. Although he didn’t directly answer the question, he did say the train and today’s event left him nostalgic.

“This leaves a lot of memories of what I played for, how many Grey Cups I played in,? he said. “These people will now have a memory too that they can take away from this train.?

Mosca believes the train will help usher in a new generation of CFL fans, a sentiment that’s been repeated throughout the tour.

“I think it was a great idea. It’s very important. Whoever put this together is to be commended,? he said.

A few minutes after our chat, Ange told me he was leaving. He’d had a great morning but it was time to go.

Half an hour later I stepped off the train, only to find him 50 feet from the exit, signing autograph after autograph after autograph.

Was I surprised?

Not at all.

-Kate

http://www.greycuptour.ca/news/

Just started reading the book. I'll post my thoughts when done.

I read the book when it first came out. I thought the book was good but it did give me a different perspective on Mosca.

No matter is you liked the book or hated the book or if you like Mosca or hate Mosca or if you liked Mosca before and hate him now you have to remember he was just a football player. His job was to go out and punish the other teams offense. That’s it. It’s us as fans who put athletes on a pedestal and feel betrayed when the curtain is drawn back. I learned a long time ago that I don’t really care what you do in your personal life (as long as it’s not illegal) as long as you show up to practice and games and work you butt off to win for my team. That’s it.

Finished the book yesterday. Enjoyed the book as an information piece and I think it told the story of Big Ang very well. I don't think his intention was to produce a flowery picture of himself but to tell a story of a man who had a life full of problems. As he said many of the things he did and said we're not things he was proud of, but were because of how he learned about life. The story was very crude throughout just as the life he lived. I met Ang on a train trip to a game in Toronto and sat in the same section with him. He was cordial but gruff and a truly likeable person. I am glad I took the time to read the book and glad he was able to express his feelings in an honest manner. Looking at the life he had I doubt that many of us would have had his success with the start he had to his. I am aso glad he was on our side throughout his career. His love of the city he played in and came back to is something not seen in many professional athletes. There are those who do remain, however, just not often. Thanks Angelo for laying it all on the line. It is not something you needed to do but chose to.

i found the book to be exactly the way the man grow up tough through lean and mean times. If you ever read the bio of stompin tom in the end he to might come off as a blowk. but understand the road they have walked down and where they are the sure didnt get there by crying in self pity so if either come off as the almighty in there mind in my mind they have every right too. And the book is exactly what it says TELL ME TO MY FACE.

Got a read it.