Tebow

If you know enough about Tim Tebow from a whole lot of press and testimonials and are not some fan of a college rival, he is many things but anything but arrogant.

I would not cut Tebow out for CFL consideration even with the high salary difference, for the way he played at Florida with his supporting cast suits him better than does the NFL. He had the incredible college numbers to merit NFL interest, but they were largely out of the shotgun and Tebow never did throw the best of spirals.

With the shotgun set in the CFL and the larger field with those massive end zones and even more spread out offensive sets with motion, the offences in the CFL make it even more an advantage for a QB like Tebow.

If Drew Tate can be a success, definitely Tebow can in a similar CFL offence that uses lots of play action and some QB mobility out of the shotgun just like he did over and over in college and still can do in goal line sets in the NFL.

I do NOT however agree that Tebow would succeed in the drop-back system used by Trestman, for Tebow does not throw that great or accurate a ball at the pro level for that kind of system as I doubt is going to change in Montreal as long as Trestman is around.

Even if Tebow can pull off a few more games of heroics, it's all but clear now that he was a "reach" as a first-round draft pick and even guys drafted lower like Andy Dalton and Colt "S-word" McCoy have shown more consistent performance.

The Broncos will play Tebow a few more games, sell some jerseys for sake of a sizeable Fundamentalist Christian crowd in that area, and ditch Tebow to find their franchise QB as Tebow is not for any NFL team. Orton is not the franchise QB for the crap offensive system they are trying to run in Denver under the new coach John Fox, so I think Denver will attempt to trade for someone unhappy on another team.

I figure some other NFL team will take a chance with Tebow, possibly in the American South for sake of also his marketing bonus.

If I were to guess today, even with a few more heroics after this season and next season, Tim Tebow will be out of the NFL and then I hope it is "hello CFL." :slight_smile: I hope if he heads up there that the fans give him a fair shot of more than two games too, as I doubt highly that he'll suck it up bad like his college teammate Chris Leak.

Mike Ganter Toronto Sun mentions Tebow in his latest article on the Argos:

If there is a positive it is that Jyles has proven an adept scrambler in a league where mobile quarterbacks are a must. But is that enough to convince anyone that Jyles should be the starter.

Sadly the alternatives are few and no more enticing.

In house Barker has Dalton Bell — he of the 10 interceptions in just over 100 pass attempts this year — or a still-raw B.J. Hall.
Calgary’s Henry Burris is likely to be available but he won’t come cheap and in all likelihood the team that signs him will be getting a Burris whose skills are declining with age.

Short of luring Tim Tebow away from the NFL — where he is ill-suited — to a better fit in the Canadian game, there really isn’t much else out there to consider.

Good find Tangle to which I would add the following:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823e2437/article/broncos-turn-to-readoption-to-highlight-tebows-strengths]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... -strengths[/url]

Tebow might be kind of fun to watch should the Broncos build around him for awhile, but the management there with Elway won't because even yesterday they had Brady Quinn on standby though of course that would be risking more awful than awful should Tebow not play well again.

I would rather see Tebow in the CFL sooner rather than later anyway.

Paolo,

I would imagine the Broncos may give Tebow this season to adapt to the game, and if not, will likely be released by years end.
Hopefully other teams will neglect to pick him up and we see him in the CFL sometime next season.

Those legs of his are a goldmine up here.

Tebow 2 of 8 for 69 yards passing with 1 TD plus 1TD rushing and they win? :?

But hey, these were the Chiefs ...I reserve further judgement until Denver plays a strong opponent out of its division. They did beat the Raiders and Chiefs on the road though.

The NY Jets (Thursday night), Chicago, New England, and Buffalo remain on the schedule.

We'll know the real deal on Tebow by the time the Broncos host New England on 12/18.

If they have a lot of snow the last four games in either Denver or Buffalo, well the advantage goes to the Denver offence as well.

Well to say "I can't believe what I just saw" certainly would not be an original statement this morning!

A team running the option, a la even only a small few college football teams any more (i.e. Air Force, Navy, Georgia Tech) in the NFL? What?

Denver proved they are a force with which to be reckoned not just for Tim Tebow but for the play of everyone rallying around him but some of his receivers who did not make catches of passes they otherwise touched with two hands. At least the receivers blocked well too which is more than you can say for most receivers!

The solid Jets defence was beefed up upfront like no other with three nose tackles in there at a time with often 9 men in the box with at least five on the line of scrimmage.

It worked long enough for the Jets to have the game in control and leave Tebow at his own five yard line, but then the rest of course is history once again.

Every team playing the Broncos the rest of the season will be studying last night's film thoroughly, and if the receivers in Denver can catch just a few more balls, Denver can win consistently even with a QB completing less than 60% of passes as is unheard of since the 1970s. Even in those days they were not running the option though!

Tim Tebow? Let's just say all bets are off now. Even John Elway in the owner's box was shocked, and I bet you he is reconsidering his line against Tebow.

This guy seems to have a bit of magic in him that's for sure.

Any team with a good offense is going to smoke the broncos. Score more than 20 points against them and you will win every game.
What a boring style of football.

...I don't disagree with what you are saying soupman but give the denver D some credit, they played very well to stop the Jets from pretty much every angle...what you saw as a boring game I saw as a defensive battle royal until the Jets packed it in with 5:59 to go...

...as much as I like the kid, Tebow's unidimensional abilities will be conquered...unless Fox can somehow miraculously teach the boy to stop throwing the ball like a MLB pitcher...

And I don’t disagree with your statements, it was two pretty good defences against two inferior offences though, which for me is still boring. I don’t think either defence was challenged that much as the Jets offense isn’t, in my opinion, much better than tebow and the gang.

I suspect that a miracle is what will be needed for Tebow to ever lead a top notch offense. Doesn’t mean he can’t win a superbowl in his career, Trent Dilfer anyone.

And he and the Denver defence did it again yesterday, and now there is no honest pundit out there from the 2010 draft who was this high on Tebow.

Either his streak encounters two stiff losses in the remaining games, or we are in for a whole renewed brand of offence in the NFL.

Did you know this has not happened since 1950?
"Tebow ran the ball 22 times for 67 yards — according to STATS, LLC, the most rushing attempts by a quarterback since at least 1950"

Go figure -- the spread option offence of the University of Florida led by Tebow from 2007-2009, as followed ironically the substantially pro-set offence as was led for four whole seasons by Chris Leak and ended with Tebow's freshman year and a national championship (2006), in the NFL?

Admittedly, the Broncos are winning games under Tebow..

However, aside from decent rushing stats, his passing performances are are quite poor.

It will be very difficult for Denver to maintain such great D numbers over the final stretch.

Former NFL great Chris Dickerson was on Off the Record last night, and he adamantly reiterated that Tebow was NOT an NFL quarterback and would likely be out of the league in three years.

and I agree.

Denver may be winning games as of late despite his woeful passing stats, although this will not last indefinitely.

Tangle has a key point, because even in the precedent set by Michael Vick [with prior precedent by overall more succesfful Randall Cunningham], who has always has his running ability as a key part of his game and did not have a completion percentage over 60% until 2010 in his first full season as a starter after his jail time, perhaps the top half of defences will adjust after watching plenty of film and looking at a lot of passing stats.

Note also that Vick has only played at least 15 games 4 times in his 9 seasons and no full season since he was arrested and jailed.

I said it many years ago, and I'll say it again for any such strong running QB as it has happened again this season for Vick.

In the NFL, for a quarterback with a weak passing game, a critical defensive strategy is to make that player roll to his weak side where he can't throw near as well instead of to his strong side where he is most comfortable and often lethal.

Both Vick and Tebow are left-handed you see, so the strategy for defences is to do whatever it takes to make them roll right where they are less damaging and accurate with the pass on the roll. Vick is even more threatening on the run up the middle than is Tebow because Vick is more agile and shifty.

The difference with Tebow is that he does not have the speed of Vick, who in many cases is the fastest man on the field, though Tebow is faster and more agile than almost all front sevens.

Denver's offense overall has been outstanding at its downfield blocking once Tebow applies great reads and audibles to have a step up on the front seven on most plays.

Once Tebow gets past the front seven, he relies on that excellent downfield blocking to wipe out the smaller but faster defensive backs.

Another difference is that Tebow knows the option as Vick has not used except at times in college.

Let's hope to see Tebow in the CFL in two years if he is not injured that bad at some point in the NFL as is inevitable as indicated in the examples set by Cunningham and Vick.

Okay when will the Broncos led by Tebow stop winning?

The Broncos are set to make the playoffs now and have only themselves to blame if they do not.

Go figure John Elway on the sideline? Most of us honest sceptics, in particularly almost all the guys in the media, sure look like fools.

Note that the Broncos defence gave up almost 500 yards to the lowly Vikings, so you can't give credit to the defence this time for this win either.

So are you saying that despite his physical limitations, mentally he can't make the NFL grade.long term ?

You have no idea what your talking about here do you? what physical limitations? Mentally ?? are you kidding me if anyone was mentally stable enough it’s him …

Of all NFL starters, Tebow has the worst passer rating by far at 61.2

As well, in 10 games played (7 as a starter)he has passed for a measly 1,054 yds and a 47.5% completion rate.
Averaging less than 150 yds per game!

that is atrocious for any football league.

As stated previously, the Broncos are winning not because of Tebow, but in spite of him.

What was most telling in the win against the Vikings is that actually Tebow threw the ball well for once, as he went 10 for 15 for 202 yards. Damn did he look great on the throws too.

The Vikings defence did not follow the strategy I recommended below, and the Denver defence stunk that game against a woeful Vikings offence that was without Adrian Peterson to boot.

At this point if you are down on Tebow near-term, nothing he does as the Broncos win will convince you. Even the formerly heavily critical and great John Elway went along for the trip AND stood on the sideline.

One bad game and down here I am confident the media will be all over Tebow again because they like to have it both ways, especially the New York jerks of the lot as usual, but for at least this season Tebow is the real deal.

Below I described how I think Tebow can be limited greatly physically by defences.

Mentally no way and I’m not sure who said anything about that.