Teams on same sidelines

BMO Field, Tim Horton's, TD Place in Ottawa have both teams on the same sideline. Can someone please explain why? I'm always use to one team on one side and one on the other.

In Toronto's case and I would assume the other two as well, by having both players benches on one side it leaves the other side of the field unobstructed so they can sell more ads in that place.

For BMO Field my understanding is that's why the cameras point to that side despite less fans sit there as opposed to the side where teams benches are.

You must be used to watching American football? From what I understand, the CFL Eastern division, the CFL Eastern conference before that, the IRFU ("Big Four" Interprovincial Rugby Football Union) before that, and the ORFU (Ontario Rugby Football Union) since 1883 always had both benches on one side of the field. Not sure why they did this, but it dates back to the 1860's and the origins of football.

It's the Americans who adopted our game who decided to put benches facing each other at some point, which was copied by the WRFU (Western Rugby Football Union) when the western league was developed in the early 1900's.

I have been watching Cfl since the 80's, and the only CFL stadium that had teams on the same side was Ivor Wynn.

BMO was set up for soccer, which which has teams on the same side and Hamilton and Ottawa both probably had soccer on their minds as well as marketing and fan experience opportunities.

I prefer the teams on the opposite sides.

Yes at one time Lansdowne park had them on different sidelines .

I think it was the seats being installed and the trolley running back with the camera on top that made them go on the same side line .

There was just was no room and I think a safety hazard so they moved them over together . If my memory serves me correctly long time ago .

Not sure if it was the 70's or 80's when they changed .

The home team can sell advertising. Bottom line is the bottom line.

That right there is the most compelling reason to put both teams on the same side of the field.

:slight_smile:

When Toronto was in Rogers Centre, I'm sure the teams were on opposite sides.

Short answer: It's one of those quirky Canadian things that gives the CFL a little character.

Count me in as well as someone who hates it with a passion.

I coach high school ball and find it incredibly annoying having to share a sideline. I can't imagine how pissed professionals have to be.