Teams on same sideline

Why does the league allow teams to be on the same sideline it looks totally bush and minor league a complete joke. It was bad enough when the east was doing it but now I see the lions doing it. This looks horrible and should be stopped. If it is just for a couple advertising bucks that do not bring in many bucks then that is crap. Every stadium has enough room on each sideline for the teams to be on opposite sides. If some of the eastern stadiums were built with one sideline being smaller then where was the league to uphold standards of the field and side lines measurements.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFLconspiracy/comments/wdhxtl/has_jim_mullin_seen_behind_the_veil/

1 Like

Is the NHL bush when it has it’s team benches on the same side of the ice? That’s bush. It’s bush when Patrick Roy tried get through the partition against the opposing team(and he was faking outrage to get his guys to get behind him). It’s bush when the late Pat Burns tried to get at Barry Melrose during a game.

You can call it bush until CFL players start fighting on the same sideline. Until then, there is nothing wrong with the sideline setup. Nothing wrong with the teams making a couple of bucks in advertising

3 Likes

This is all testing theories out to get ready for expansion south. So the can put the wider CFL field in USA stadiums. That is what is going on here.

Soccer and Basketball also have both teams on the same side of the playing area. For American football it boils down to real estate with all the people - but for the CFL I think the are just proof testing the concept for American CFL expansion.

1 Like

Really you are going to compare football to hockey lol. 43 players a team compared to what 23 and hockey has a tiny little playing surface compared to a football field. Let’s also not forget the traditionally hockey has always been on the same sideline where football has not and that is because the football field is so much larger than the tiny little hockey rink. It has always been separate sideline to give fairness when going on and off the field. Since their are so many more players on a football team. Image is everything. Do you think the NFL would ever allow teams to be in the same sideline. Nope. They already do not have the team logo on the field unless it is cgi. And we also have advertising on the jerseys which also looks bush league. But guess you will try to compare that to soccer next lol.

The NHL allows teams to advertise on their helmets now.

For the CFL it’s extra revenue needed.

It should be on above instead in the front of the jersey and the numbers on the shoulder so the officials can see it when reporting a foul.

That is if they can see the foul​:rofl::sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

The Argos and Lions are the only teams that have CGI logos on the field. TSN will also put CGI ads on the field at all stadiums.

1 Like

Remember the Lions did it to add in the high end sideline seating. Personally what difference does it make is the way I look at it.

2 Likes

It's about revenue. Having the teams on the same side of the field makes an unobstructed view on the other so more adds especially digital add can be placed both both the in stadium attendees or home viewers.

I wouldn't be surprised if all teams end up going this route down the road. I do see the easier fit on an American field if they decide to stage games down there in the future

3 Likes

it is they can cover up poor attendance much easier n show both teams

1 Like

And didn’t you state the NFL wouldn’t allow it?

**SECTION 4 - PLAYERS’ BENCHES

At the option of the home team, both the players’ benches may be located on the same side of the field. In such a case, the end of each bench shall start at the 45-yard line and continue towards the adjacent goal line.

Note: When both benches are so located, the chain crew and linespersons are to operate during the entire game on the opposite side to the benches.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/?fbclid=IwAR2-dGO5To16lheFI4W83FWXuNSEVV8HM3DxugUcSwrZiGTNx6G639p0O7Q#section-4-players-benches

5 Likes

While I may not be as passionate as Westie4739 on this matter I think both benches on the same side is a bad idea too. As long as the action is near the center of the field it may not be so bad but when the action is near one endzone or the other being on the wrong side of the center line could quite a disadvantage for one team. Communication and getting players on and off the field could create delays and other problems that lower the quality of play.

Also, considering how frequent brawling and other unwanted conflicts between teams are becoming I think it’s better to have 65 yards between benches rather than 10 yards or whatever is chosen.

Ideally they should be on opposite sides, but as has been pointed out, the signage revenue is important to CFL teams.

The only sideline conflict I can recall is Duron Carter bumping Redblacks coach Rick Campbell, who I still maintain flopped soccer style.

So… there’s a side that the ‘Away Team’ can also call ‘Home’?

I’m not talking about incidents that start on the sidelines, I’m thinking about the Banjo Bowl brawl from last year, Marino’s cheap shot on Mazzoli and similar dust ups. In situations like that I think that the sooner teams are 65 yards apart the better. While this year’s TD Atlantic mess died down rather quicky that could have had the potential to escalate into a disaster. Sorry to say, I don’t think we’re close to an end to this stuff either.

Signage revenue let’s get serious if that little bit they get from that is going to make or break the team or league then they may as well fold the league now. Seems Winnipeg can have teams on opposit sidelines and still have advertising. Guess the eastern teams and BC are not smart enough to do that. The league is constantly sliding down hill and yet the league keeps doing stupid things that will not help. Like more dumb rules.

Do you seriously think this would happen in the NFL? Never. First off they have more people and are more professional. Secondly image is everything, why do you think the NFL is so popular? History and image.

As I said to someone else if this signage money is going to make or break the team and league then you may as well fold everything and stop the bleeding because I doubt they get much from this aignagae. And seems Winnipeg can make it work without both teams being on the same side line.

At the option of the home team, both the players’ benches may be located on the same side of the field. In such a case, the end of each bench shall start at the 45-yard line and continue towards the adjacent goal line.

Note: When both benches are so located, the chain crew and linespersons are to operate during the entire game on the opposite side to the benches.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2022-nfl-rulebook/?fbclid=IwAR2-dGO5To16lheFI4W83FWXuNSEVV8HM3DxugUcSwrZiGTNx6G639p0O7Q#section-4-players-benches

I feel sorry for Westie4739, for him to find such a small thing to complain about, and make a thread about it, because it’s the CFL….. the players are on the same side of the field, so f’n what??… they did it to generate fan experience to sell seats right up against the sidelines, which to me would be an awesome place to watch a game….

Like someone said, the NHL has benches on the same side. The Westie’s argument was because there is only 23 people, not 43, and part of his argument was that the ice is smaller too… like that goes completely against your argument, Westie, it’s all relative.if it bush league to have benches on the same side for larger teams on a larger surface, the. It must be bish league too for smaller teams on a smaller surface….

4 Likes