Team Rankings over the 2000's

For those who don't know, the IIHF ranks teams on their recent success by giving them points for where they finish in major events. I did a modified version of this for CFL teams over the past decade.

Teams are ranked by final positioning in the playoffs, but for teams that finished the same place in the playoffs (division finalists, semi finalists, or missed playoffs) are ranked by regular season placing. So last year rankings from first to last would be Montreal, Saskatchewan, Calgary, Toronto, Hamilton, BC, Edmonton, Winnipeg.

The points are awarded as follows

9th place team: 2 placement points = 2 points
8th place team: 4 placement points = 4 points
7th place team: 6 placement points = 6 points
6th place team: 8 placement points + 2 playoff points = 10 points
5th place team: 10 placement points + 2 playoff points = 12 points
4th place team: 12 placement points + 2 playoff points + 2 division finals points = 16 points
3rd place team: 14 placement points + 2 playoff points + 2 division finals points = 18 points
2nd place team: 16 placement points + 2 playoff points + 2 division finals points + 2 division champ points = 22 points
1st place team: 18 placement points + 2 playoff points + 2 division finals points + 2 division champ points+ 2 Grey Cup Points = 26 points

The overall rankings are determining by using 100% of points from the past year, 75% from two years before, 50% from three years before, and 25% from four years before. Note- Only years after 1999 are included so 2000, 2001, and 2002 are based off 1, 2,and 3 seasons respectively (instead of four)

Here are the rankings by year

Montreal 59.5 points
Saskatchewan 51 points
Calgary 47 points
B.C. 35.5 points
Toronto 26 points
Hamilton/Edmonton 23 points
Winnipeg 19 points

Montreal 54 points
Saskatchewan 48 points
Calgary 45.5 points
B.C. 45 points
Winnipeg 27 points
Edmonton 26.5 points
Toronto 21 points
Hamilton 18 points

B.C. 49 points
Montreal 47.5 points
Calgary 42.5 points
Saskatchewan 42 points
Winnipeg 32.5 points
Toronto 31 points
Edmonton 30 points
Hamilton 9.5 points
Ottawa* 1.5 points
*based on 1 year

B.C. 52 points
Saskatchewan 47 points
Toronto/Montreal 44 points
Winnipeg 33 points
Edmonton 26 points
Calgary 25.5 points
Hamilton 14 points
Ottawa* 4 points
*based on 2 years

B.C./Montreal 53 points
Toronto 47 points
Edmonton 37 points
Saskatchewan 36 points
Calgary 23 points
Winnipeg 19 points
Hamilton 12 points
Ottawa* 8 points
*based on 3 years

Montreal 53 points
Edmonton 52 points
Toronto 47.5 points
B.C. 42.5 points
Saskatchewan 33.5 points
Winnipeg 19 points
Calgary 16.5 points
Hamilton 13.5 points
Ottawa 12.5 points

Montreal 50.5 points
Toronto 47.5 points
Edmonton 44.5 points
B.C. 38 points
Saskatchewan 35.5 points
Winnipeg 29.5 points
Hamilton 21 points
Calgary 13.5 points
Ottawa* 9.5 points
*based on 3 years

Edmonton 53.5 points
Montreal 53 points
Winnipeg 40.5 points
Toronto 32.5 points
B.C. 30.5
Saskatchewan 28.5 points
Calgary 24.5 points
Hamilton 18 points
Ottawa* 7.5 points
*based on 2 years

2002*
Montreal 46 points
Edmonton 43 points
Winnipeg 42.5 points
Calgary/B.C. 32.5 points
Toronto 30 points
Hamilton 24.5 points
Saskatchewan 15 points
Ottawa** 2 points
*based on 3 years
**based on 1 year

2001*
Calgary 39.5 points
Winnipeg 34 points
B.C. 29.5 points
Montreal 28.5 points
Hamilton 25.5 points
Edmonton 25 points
Toronto 10.5 points
Saskatchewan 7 points
*based on 2 years

2000*
B.C. 26 points
Montreal 22 points
Calgary 18 points
Winnipeg 16 points
Edmonton 12 points
Hamilton 10 points
Toronto 6 points
Saskatchewan 4 points
*based on 1 season

How long each team spent at each ranking

Years at:
number 1: Montreal-6, B.C.-4, Edmonton-1, Calgary-1
number 2: Montreal-3, Edmonton-2, Saskatchewan-3, Winnipeg-1, Toronto-1
number 3: Calgary-4, Toronto-3, B.C.-2, Winnipeg-2, Montreal-1, Edmonton-1
number 4: B.C.-5, Winnipeg-1, Montreal-1, Calgary-1, Toronto-1, Edmonton-1 , Saskatchewan-1
number 5: Saskatchewan-3, Winnipeg-3, Edmonton-1, Hamilton-1, B.C.-1, Toronto-1
number 6: Edmonton-4, Toronto-2, Winnipeg-2, Hamilton-2, Saskatchewan-1, Calgary-1
number 7: Toronto-3, Calgary-3, Hamilton-2, Winnipeg-1, Edmonton-1
number 8: Hamilton-6, Saskatchewan-3, Calgary-1, Winnipeg-1
number 9: Ottawa-7

So if you averaged all the teams average ranking you would get
Montreal: 1.72
B.C.: 2.72
Edmonton: 4
Winnipeg: 4.36
Calgary: 4.72
Toronto: 4.81
Saskatchewan: 5
Hamilton: 7.18
Ottawa: 9

Yes I was bored today.

Good work GoRiders.
Interesting look.

I don't understand why you would include the previous four seasons in the calculation for one season. Teams that have had the most success recently (Saskatchewan, namely) don't have their 2009 and 2010 seasons added multiple times like BC did with their 14-3-1 season in 2007. And to have Winnipeg ahead of Sask after missing the playoffs four times, losing two Grey Cups, and winning none makes about as much sense as the CFL.ca power rankings.

Interesting stuff, GoRiders.

If I were to have done this myself, I would have given out the placement points based only on the regular season record, and playoff points based on post-season performance. I don't think it would change much though.

Are you familiar with the Elo ranking system? It was originally developed for chess, but it's applied to a lot of different competitive games (sports and non-sports). I've wondered what those would look like for the CFL, but you'd need to figure out who beat whom, so I think it would take a lot of work, unless that data is available on the website in some easily mine-able electronic form.

Copying the data from the schedules tab and pasting it into excel is pretty straight forward. There is some obvious tweaking necessary after that first step, but I doubt it's cumbersome. They do make 22 years worth of data available.

Booyah, we're #2.72!!!

Would you expect anything less???

I didn't know you could paste HTML tables into Excel. Thanks for the tip. Now I have a new project for when I'm bored.

It crashed Excel the first time I tried it, though, because I just hit "paste" instead of "paste special".

No, I am not familiar with ELO

However If Montreal was playing in the west thier win loss record would drop almost 20%. Not to take away from a very good team. Look at toronto or hamilton (ottawa) win /loss ratio over the past 10 years .If instead Montreal only played those teams twice a year and Edmonton, Calgary, Sask- riders 4 times per year resuts may be different. And no by into Grey Cup.
So a different rating system is need. Any SUGGESTIONS to rate last 10 years.???

It's a band in the 70's. You know, Don't Bring Me Down, Rock & Roll is King, etc.?!?!? :wink: :smiley:

I agree that Montreal ranking is inflated by competing in east division that has been weak for decades. Your formula seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not take total points of regular seasons and add points for every playoff win?

That wouldn't solve the supposed problem of Montreal's inflated ranking, since a large proportion of those regular season points were also earned against weak Eastern teams. Taking average points by series instead of total points might give a better picture. For example, count the total number of points that Montreal got by beating, Calgary, then divide by the total number of games between Montreal and Calgary. Do the same for every other pair of teams. Then, for each team, take the total of the averages. This total represents the number of wins that a team would be expected to get if it were to play one "average game" against each opponent.

LOL ! If Montreal's ranking is inflated because of that so would every other Eastern team :roll:

or you could say the Eastern team's rankings are deflated because of Montreal's dominance, which is the case since Montreal has a winning record against all of the Western teams ALL over that period.

No kidding. People act like Montreal only wins against Eastern teams when in fact they consistently win against Western teams as well.

Sure you are! Their biggest hits were "Evil Woman", "Can't Get It Out Of My Head", and "Livin' Thing".

Only a true fan of the CFL would take up this type of task. Kudos! Send this info to the league office. They may find this type of information interesting.

Your competition is your competition. It is not Montreal's fault that the other eastern teams were so weak. That is why the cross-over for playoffs was brought in to reward the teams that finished with a better record.

Simply put HfxTC, you are incorrect. Lets look at BC vs Montreal for example:

2010 - split
2009 - split
2008 - split
2007 - split
2006 - 2-0 for BC - BC beats MON for Grey Cup
2005 - split
2004 - 2-0 for BC
2003 - 2-0 for BC
2002 - split
2001 - split
2000 - 2-0 for Montreal - BC beats MON for Grey Cup

Simply put, BC has been better than Montreal over that time span with a combined record of 15 wins and 9 loses. You may want to check your facts next time!

My facts are fine. When you take all western teams combined Montreal's winning percentage against the west is very similar to the East. Stating that Montreal's record is inflated because they play in the East is wrong.

Montreal over
SSK 15 Wins 7 loses
Cal 14 Wins 8 Loses
Edm 12 Wins 10 Loses
BC 9 wins 13 Loses
Crossovers 2 wins 0 loses
Grey Cups 3 wins 5 Loses
Grand total
55 wins 43 loses
winning percentage over western teams