Team Awards: Chains & Things

…awarded after the game in the locker room, so similar but different…

…I’m 50/50 on this…I can understand the pageantry related to a successful play amongst the players but I can also envision this type of thing getting out of hand…like TD celebrations from about ten years ago…reminds me of that time Jermaine Copeland, after a TD, re-enacted Les Miserables playing four different characters simultaneously…stamps fans didn’t mind because it allowed everyone to use the limited bathroom facilities at McMahon before play resumed…

I meant the Wpg players.
SSK does the same thing but they hang the logo from the chains

A few years back here in Montreal, during a parade. They had young black men dressed in clothes resembling those of slaves pushing a float

The city went Nuts!

I can also think of a recent event where people also went nuts for nothing

I know its no big deal…but people have flipped out for less

Who was “they” ?

As has been stated previously, players are doing this of their own accord … parade organizers deciding to do something like that is hardly analogous.

They are not supposed to have fun. Do their play, walk over to the sideline, wait for the next. Celebrating should at best be a firm handshake…apparently.

FIRM HANDSHAKE ? ? ?

That is too much … a slight nodding of the head at most … perhaps a “good job buddy”

This chain thing is tacky! The true pros act like they have done it (make a great play, score a TD) before.

Oh groan. So they’re borrowing some American cultural thing.

::slight_smile:

Dunno. But it would have been just the media that went nuts. That’s the way these things work in this day and age. Everybody else would have just shrugged, assuming they’d even noticed.

:-\

Precisely!

Bud Grant was once asked why the players on his team never engaged in any antics after scoring TDs and whether there was a team rule forbidding such. His reply “No, there’s no team rule. They’d just better not.”

:wink:

I would rather see the chain thing on the bench than the choreographed well practiced group dancing on the field .

The bench celebration to reward a big play like a interception or fumble recovery does not involve the fan it’s off the field of play.

While the huge display of group practiced visual art rubs me the wrong way as it’s overt display by a group on the field that is poor sportsmanship .

The lone guy dancing or posing doesn’t bother me as much if they are the one who scored and releasing the emotion is normal as long it’s not too cheesy .

Yup. Took it from US college football. Turnover chain and big play chain isn’t anything new.

Ah yes, 92 year old Bud Grant. He would certainly know how to coach the youth of today. This board is like a time warp sometimes.

Well at the age of 92 a full time coaching job might indeed be a challenge even for Bud Grant.

But how about the 30 year old Bud Grant who coached the Blue Bombers at the start of the 1957 season? Do you think he would have been incapable of coaching the young players of today?

???

If he maintained his attitude of forbidding touchdown celebrations? He’d fail miserably.

The good old days, where women were bold enough to show ankle on a steady diet.

Times have changed.

Only if he seriously adapted his approach … that is what made Scotty Bowman so good for so long … he adapted to each generation of players …

And here I thought TD celebrations were a frivolous distraction as opposed to a crucial element in a team’s success.

::slight_smile:

Relating to your players, treating them like adults, and giving them some degree of autonomy is a crucial element of a teams success. Trying to impose attitudes from 60 years ago on the athletes of today would be a disaster for any coach that attempted it.

Is it still necessary to treat them like adults if they don’t behave like adults, e.g. by engaging in buffoonery after they score?

???

in the past 50 years, most people have realized that if people are having fun and happy, they perform better in whatever their job is. So what one might see as buffoonery is improving their environment.

Bombers…for example…add a link to their chain. Pretty interesting idea IMO.