Taylor Powell Signed through 2025

4 Likes

Great signing!
:ticats:

4 Likes

Interesting. Powell must really love being a Ticat.
If he has a great 2024, especially if BLM gets injured, I assume Powell would be up for starting money in 2025 with us or another team in Free Agency. Extending now seems like he might be leaving potential money on the table for next year.
I think Malonovich really likes him and feels he can build a team around him.

2 Likes

It makes a lot of sense from the team’s side, not so much from his but as you say, he must love it here to forego a possible free agency payout. If he shows he can be the starter, then they likely extend him
another year next year with a big signing bonus to make up some of the difference in starter vs backup money for 2025.

2 Likes

Players call it “betting on yourself”.
I think he pictures being the undisputed starter by 2026 once the BLM experiment is over.
For 2026 he should be making 500k if all goes according to his plan.

2 Likes

I’d think there has to be an increase in 2024 to get him to sign for 2025 now, otherwise it’s actually a bad idea for him to add 2025 now. If he underperforms expectations in 2024, the team cuts him and he sees zero of the 2025 money. If he outperforms expectations in 2024, he’s working at a discount in 2025. There has to be a raise in 2024 or he made a really silly mistake.

4 Likes

For sure there’s a raise for 2024, but he’s still making backup qb money, maybe 120-130k vs say 80 last year (I figure qbs earn a bit more than rookie minimum). So a bit of incentive but my point is now the team essentially has exclusive rights to him for another year. So if Bo is injured and Powell lights it up, he’s not free to shop himself around in 2025.

1 Like

One would argue that if that happens, the team -could- release Bo and give Powell a significant raise.

1 Like

Bo’s contract has 100K in playtime incentives built in.
I’m guessing Powell’s new contract has a bunch of incentives built in as well.
If BLM doesn’t play much this year I bet Powell gets the majority of that 100k incentive payments. Plus, even if BLM has a bounce back year, I would bet my house he will not be our starter by 2026. Powell is playing the long game and is betting on a big contract by 2026.

I would agree with this entirely. There’s playing time bonuses that the TC will only have to pay one time either way.

1 Like

3 Down podcast had more details today.
94k in hard money ( 20k raise)
$2000 every time he takes more then 50% of snaps
$3000 if he leads team in pass yardage
$3000 if he leads team in passing TD’s
136k total if he hits all incentives
Similar for next year.
They were suprised he extended for 2025 this soon , but thinks , in good faith, the team will renegotiate if he’s our full fledged starter by next year.
Dunk said he spoke to Powell for a few minutes this week. Powell said it’s not about the money yet for him, it’s about the chance to work with Milanovich.

6 Likes

Powell wants to be here
I want him to be here too!
:+1:

6 Likes

Man I hope ‘I’m wrong about Powell, and I’ll take Milanovich’s opinion over mine every single time. My take on Powell was really slow through his reads and decision making process. In my opinion he was late with his pass a ton

2 Likes

Considering he was basically a camp arm he really had to come a long way to be a starting pro. I’m prepared to see him in that light and give him time.

Milo’s and Bo’s assessment of his work ethic stands out for me. I hope all of Taylor’s effort and studying pays off for the young man.

5 Likes

I think the writings on the wall that Powell will get the starting job out of camp, even if BLM is healthy. If I’m wrong then Milanovich is deciding to buy into the sentimentality of the first game being in Calgary.
I’ve watched every interview with Milanovich during camp and it’s clear Powell has been the better quarterback so far.
He’s also been used more for promotion on the Ticat social pages and images.
Even BLM, who has been historically confident and egocentric has mentioned what a great leader Powell has become. Bo also mentioned jokingly he will never be 100% physically again.
Better is better. Younger is younger. Stronger is stronger.
The good news is, if BLM is our starter throughout the season, it means he’s having a good season as I think Milanovich won’t keep him in for long if he’s struggling.

2 Likes