Taj Smith & Dwight Anderson

I've been in many many many bars in my time at closing time and I've never been in a fight. Ironically, the only time that I've come close was one of the 4 or 5 times I've been to a bar in Regina, some young punk got in my face at closing time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not that this has anything to do with Taj or DA but I thought it was amusing.

No, I disagree. Your standard is FAR too high. There are quite a few guys out there who will get drunk and go try to throw down with the biggest dude they see in the bar. Football players are often the biggest dudes in the bar by default. You are basically demanding that a professional football player never ever be allowed to go to a bar for a beer or 2 and shoot some stick, ever, just in case some drunk asshole decides its a good idea to put a fight with a pro ball player on his resumé. That's just ridiculous.

Depop,
Never said they were looking for fights. They were putting themselves in a situation where this kind of crap can and eventually will occur.
Nope. Never been in a fight in a bar at closing time. It's not that hard to avoid and as I said I would certainly expect a professional athlete to sign an agreement regarding code of conduct, and would expect them not to be in bars till closing time.
I'm not sure how you know that imposing a curfew "in this era" will not work. You must have access to data that I do not.
I do agree with you 100 percent that restrictions and curfews should be in the agreement they sign.

Prairiedog,
" There are quite a few guys out there who will get drunk and go try to throw down with the biggest dude they see in the bar. Football players are often the biggest dudes in the bar by default. "
That was exactly the point I was making. Putting yourself in that situation is stupid and selfish.
"You are basically demanding that a professional football player never ever be allowed to go to a bar for a beer or 2 and shoot some stick, ever"
I'm not demanding that at all. Have reasonable fun during reasonable hours during the season and these confrontations will seldom occur. Go party and drink like adolescents during the off season. They have seven months to go wild and do whatever they want. During football season, show your team and teammates some respect and don't get into these situations which will undoubtedly have a negative affect on the team and the season.

I bounced in a bar for 2 years, and I am sorry to say, there are idiots who start going out looking to have fun, but seem to turn into a-holes. Until we know all the facts, I would not judge the players involved, wait till the details come out, It is not the best thing for these guys to be involved in, but they are grown men and crap happens. it could of easily been some place else, just cuz some people or idiots. No right person goes out looking to fight, but sometimes those idiots find you!! If a bat was involved, I to would of hurt the said idiot, just cuz, I value my well being over theirs. And I am sorry to say, These men are old enough and have the same right to go out for a beer as we do! I am sure they did not look for this! Don't be so judgemental!! If there at fault, the system will take care of them, both by the courts and the Riders!!

I don't think many Rider fans 'love' him. Most seem to tolerate at best.
[/quote]
I agree...wasn't he getting into it with Rider fans behind the bench on the last home game?

This should help both these guys make the jump to the NFL.

Your right people in their 20s or 30s are allowed in a night club , what I have a problem with is it was a work night for these guys and it doesn't matter if you make $500,000 a year or $50,000 you are accountable to the person you work beside to show up and do the best possible job you can money doesn't matter , and correct me if I'm wrong but this after the Montreal game they had nothing to celebrate they played like crap and were lucky to win.

So you need to be celebrating to drink and can't do it socially? That is concerning.
It wasn't a work night, it was after, and they don't resume practice until Tuesdays.
How is staying out until last call being irresponsible? They brought their concerns to bar management (the responsible thing to do), and I am confident they didn't go looking for this fight or they would have followed them outside over an hour earlier.

Depop you are right Sunday was not a work day for them , but when one asked to be excused from practice there's a problem , and telling the bar management is not the correct thing to do , call the police and if you don't want to do that call your coach , going outside knowing there a problem is putting yourself in a bad situation and that is on them . Their first thought should have been for their safety and second they should have thought how this would affect the team. Did the guys waiting for them outside the bar deserve a beat down your damn right they did , just not by our players.

It is highly unlikely that they realized these guys were waiting for them. I for one would assume that after an hour + they had vacated or you would have seen them.

Calling the coach after midnight because you had words with someone in the pub...or anywhere for that matter? I think not. Nothing had really happened at that point.

Call the cops...I guess in retrospect, sure...but if I am at any venue and am having issues I would be talking to management, not the cops. I can't say I have ever really heard of such a thing to be honest. If you are at a pub and someone is being rowdy, do you honestly call the cops? I would find that extremely far fetched. You would either leave (and be followed out by them) or talk to the staff. Normally once one is thrown out / leaves under such circumstances they don't stick around more than 20-30 minutes, and if they do, well...staff should have called the cops.

Yeah, Anderson was hurt...that is really besides the point...unless it was a fight he was looking for, which I don't believe for a heartbeat. If you honestly think he went out looking for this fight then the injury has some merit, otherwise it has zero.

Depop in this quote you said someone threatened them that he would be back and packing that's good enough to call the cops and not unheard of , and I can tell you that the coach , gm , president and even the chairman of the board would have gladly taken that phone call and advised them as to what to do.You can't think they are the same as us going to the bar , when they out in the public they are the face of the Saskatchewan Roughriders , like one other poster posted they can raise hell all they want during the off season , during the season it should be all business.

Depop in this quote you said someone threatened them that he would be back and packing that's good enough to call the cops and not unheard of , and I can tell you that the coach , gm , president and even the chairman of the board would have gladly taken that phone call and advised them as to what to do.You can't think they are the same as us going to the bar , when they out in the public they are the face of the Saskatchewan Roughriders , like one other poster posted they can raise hell all they want during the off season , during the season it should be all business.
Agreed. I could care less who heard what about someone's girlfriend or thinks they stepped in to break up a fight or any other gruesome details. That may or may not come out when the case is investigated. The point is they should be trying to avoid situations like this as best they can. Maybe they can't always avoid confrontations like this but I would say they can easily reduce the chances a thousandfold by using a little common sense. IMHO.

Exactely. Are they not seen walking non-chalontly (spelling?? )away from the bar, then after about 1/2 a minute they are sprinting back toward the bar, on the one video posted on this site. Raises some serious questions when you consider the victim and his choice of livelihood.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T6IFXn1pDI&list=UU0YQ0qvaftg_R3REYECeanA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T6IFXn1 ... 3REYECeanA[/url]

Taj's court is set for December.
Trial by judge. odd

case will probably be dismissed as it will be over 2 years between the incident and the court date.