Tait: Jefferson settles in for more wins in Winnipeg

Willie Jefferson has been there before in that moment where he doesn’t just tip his toe into Canadian Football League free agency, but swan dives into it from the top platform. A dominant defensive end from the day he arrived in this country back in 2014, Jefferson has always been one of the most sought-after players whenever he got to the open market, leading to his moves from Edmonton to Saskatchewan and then to Winnipeg in 2019.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/11/tait-jefferson-settles-wins-winnipeg/

He may get more regular season wins but there are no more cups for the bombers for another 29 years they were very lucky to win this last one due to a brain freeze by that Hamilton returner giving up that single late in the game or the bombers were DONE

Haters gonna hate.

“We’ve built something tight; we’ve built something strong in Winnipeg,” Jefferson said in a conference call with the media on Friday from Austin, TX. “It’s a family team with Yosh (Jermarcus Hardrick) and me having kids and having a family and all those other guys in the locker room in the same situation.

“No amount of money can replace that comfort you have being in Winnipeg…no amount of money can give you peace of mind.”

2 Likes

Good teams win when things go as expected for them. Great teams win even when things go completely sideways. I think the results in the 2021 Western Final and the 2021 Grey Cup demonstrate that the current Bombers are a great team. Give up 6 turnovers in the Western Final and still find a way to win. In the Grey Cup they sealed it - perfect example was Winston Rose, not able to make the interception himself but deliberately tipping the ball to Wilson to seal the deal.

1 Like

Lucky more sums it up in Grey Cup

If that Hamilton player doesn’t give up that point than there is no ot and bombers are one and done

1 Like

Back to back Grey Cups aren't luck. Every game comes down to a couple of decisions\plays made by a team. Say what you want, but the Bombers only lost 1 game that 'counted' in 2021 - the one to Toronto. No other team in the league can stake the same claim for 2021. Your comment is just 'sour grapes'.

1 Like

It sour grapes at all , the bombers trailed most of the game in Grey cup and if it wasn’t for a boneheaded play giving up the point bombers were done

I suspect that the player was instructed to give up the point before the play. Esp. since there were no Bombers really close to him when he did it. Most returners want to run the ball out anytime they have a chance. Steinauer said after the game that he was "OK" with the decision. In which case, if you are going to blame anyone it should be the coaching staff. Might be the reason Rhiebold has moved on and gone to the Als.

1 Like

when an organization stay loyal to aging players without a plan to replace and renew the clock starts ticking on the down side. Plus LUCK is needed.

If we're playing that game.....

The Bombers gave up a safety late in the third. If they hadn't done that the game wouldn't have gone to overtime and the Bombers would have won in regulation even without the conceded single.

There's all sorts of coulda woulda shoulda surrounding every close game

2 Likes

You had to give up a safety or risk Hamilton having a short field and scoring a td and ending it

1 Like

Exact same reason applies to Hamilton in the 4th. If they hadn't given up the single they risked going 3 and out and the Bombers having a short field. You can't have it both ways, either the Bombers decision was the correct one and Hamilton's was also; or both teams made the wrong decision. Talk about inconsistency in your logic.

1 Like

You can’t pin the game on any one play. You could say that the most costly mistake by either side was the IT Masoli threw in OT. Or the holding penalty preceding the IT. Or the touchdown pass at the end of regulation that could have been caught. Or the missed hands to the face call against Lawrence that ended up giving the Ticats 7 points at the end of the first half they shouldn’t have had. I am sure there at least half a dozen more plays and what ifs that could have changed the course of the game for both sides.

3 Likes

You guys crack me up, still so upset about the Bombers rise to the top!

Hey, call it whatever you want, I'd have been happy with lucky after 2019, to STILL be the CHAMPS now in 2022, is just gravy on the cake!

8 other teams wish they were "lucky!"

2 Likes

I think the other 8 teams are already all lucky. They're lucky COVID canceled the 2020 season, or the three peat would have happened and we'd all be talking about Four in a row.

1 Like

Your argument is that if this one play doesn't occur the entire result of the game is changed, but you are also assuming that everything else that occurred after that play till the end of the game remains the same.

For all we can speculate, the Hamilton returner could've fumbled the ball during his return. The offense could've stalled having to march anywhere from 15 to 25 extra yards. The kicker could've missed from a longer range.

A whole lot of "could ofs" could've happened. To claim Winnipeg won based on one miss cue of a play is pretty sad.

3 Likes