Tafralis vs Porter

Despite the fact I think Tafralis should be number 2 and Porter dropped to Number 3, I really don’t think we can do that this late in the season. Porter has to play through this year as our number 2. But he has to be told to protect the ball. He’s fumbled for the last two games but neither one really mattered. The next fumble might knock us out of the playoffs. Next year Tafralis takes over as number two and I suspect Porter is sent packing. Too bad, I like the guy and he does have the physical attributes and some very positive athletic attributes, but he just seems to have difficulty grasping the game and what needs to be done.

On another note: there is no way Glenn does not start the final game against BC. His showing yesterday was far from stellar and he has to play at least the first half next week to get his confidence back and work out some issues. If he starts like that against TO, we could be doomed in the opening round.

Despite the fact I think Tafralis should be number 2 and Porter dropped to Number 3, I really don’t think we can do that this late in the season. Porter has to play through this year as our number 2. But he has to be told to protect the ball. He’s fumbled for the last two games but neither one really mattered. The next fumble might knock us out of the playoffs. Next year Tafralis takes over as number two and I suspect Porter is sent packing. Too bad, I like the guy and he does have the physical attributes and some very positive athletic attributes, but he just seems to have difficulty grasping the game and what needs to be done.

On another note: there is no way Glenn does not start the final game against BC. His showing yesterday was far from stellar and he has to play at least the first half next week to get his confidence back and work out some issues. If he starts like that against TO, we could be doomed in the opening round.

Was Porter pulled because of his fumble or was something said on the sidelines. If pulled because of his play in just two series that would surely send a message about his roll with the club.

tcfan wrote:

"Despite the fact I think Tafralis should be number 2 and Porter dropped to Number 3, I really don't think we can do that this late in the season. Porter has to play through this year as our number 2."

tcfan: What are you afraid of? How can you possibly justify more of what we have seen from Porter all season...and before that? And you STILL think he should be the number 2? It's never too late to make a move. Tafralis has been around for a couple of seasons ....he's not new! Surely he can't be any worse than Porter.
That kind of thinking is the reason we have no capable back-up QB. Porter should have been gone after last season and Tafralis should have been the #2.
BC has made bold moves with their starting QB's.....yet we seem afraid to do some shuffling around with our back-ups. This is a recipe for disaster if Glenn gets hurt.
Glenn Suitor mentioned during last night's game that Porter has not been given many reps this week. Our back-up has been a disaster all season yet he gets very few reps as we approach the playoffs? Then we put him in the game last night when it's all but over?
It's mind-boggling.

Well, putting all one’s eggs in one basket except the ones laid on the field is never a good policy, but I digress. LOL This team has on paper arguably its best QB depth chart in ages and we haven’t seen anything substantive from Porter this season.

The mind-boggling aspect mercifully ends sometime in November. Hopefully the team can flip the switch in the EDSF. Not holding my breath as I pointed out in the “Beasts From The East” thread…I am skeptical a team can do that kind of trip in a football situation when the stakes are higher and opponents are loaded for bear and find success.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Well, I just think with the limited play Tafralis has had this season, Porter gives us the best chance of surviving a Glenn injury. But let me just say that the chance of survival would be very slim. Maybe Tafralis would do a better job even with the little amount of first-team reps he has had, I don't know.
Despite Porter screwing up the last two games when he got his chance, he has looked good up until the point of screw up. lol He seems able to move the ball through the air ok. The sad thing is, he does not seem too far off of being able to pull it together but he does not seem capable of closing that small gap between being a legitimate 2nd stringer challenging for the starting role and getting the boot altogether.
Although it seems like an easy decision to get rid of him, it really isn't that easy.

I'm far from a Porter supporter, but I do think he should have gotten more of a chance yesterday.
I do miss the QB controversy(Glenn vs. Porter) of last year that filled much of this site.While he didn't have a good game yesterday, Glenn has sure shown he's an elite QB in this league.

It's probably time for a decision 2 be made as far as Tafralis vs. Porter.

Porter has seemed to regress since he was the definitive starter; Tafralis has shown potential but his biggest attribute is the fact no one knows what he is capable of ....

If Porter is no longer a tiger-cat when next season starts; I could see him playing well for the Argos, Winnipeg, etc...
but that wouldn't mean the Tiger-Cats necessarily made the wrong choice...

just because he's done in Hamilton doesn't mean he is done in the CFL.

Physically he easily has all the attributes.What do you guys find is really wrong w/ his game?
For me , he seems to fall in love w/ his first option and really willing to "checkdown" if that's a "no-go" instead of looking at other options...

If his first name were Trent, he’d be “Trentative.” Trent Edwards has him trumped on that score, however!

Seriously, it’s what you suggest plus an appalling lack of ball security. I get INTs when one is flushed and makes a bad, rushed decision. Fumbles? In multiple games?

Apart from some coordination issue or ball-handling technical flaw, it points to not having one’s head in the game. It’s the lack of ball security that makes him a liability moving forward because he doesn’t make enough plays to warrant mulligans for that given the reps and kind of reps he’s asked to perform.

A backup cannot be that out of it in THIS league and be valuable to keep. Other guys have to be identified and developed in this case.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Two plays last night highlighted the difference between these two QBs - Porter's fumble, and Tafralis' shovel pass to Thigpen at the end of the game.

Once Porter starts to run, you know he's running, even if he is holding the ball like he could throw. You know he's not looking for receivers; he's lookin for tacklers and possible running routes.

Tafralis, on the other hand, is still looking upfield when he's running, and as seen on this play, can still find receivers and get them the ball.

My personal opinion is that Tafralis is a better QB than Porter. Porter doesn't seem to have made any progress
with his inept play since he started with the team. By now, I would think that he could hang on to the football
when necessary and spot alternate receivers when his prime target is covered.

Give the ball to Tafralis!

My feeling is that garbage time means that any scouting report based on that playing time goes in the garbage. My gut tells me that that Trefallis may be better but how the heck would I know. I have never seen him play any meaningful time.

It's funny you mention "Captain CheckDown" because I always kind of thought in some ways - at least physically him and Porter were comparable.

Trent started his downward slide approx. 18 months ago??!?!? - when he was suffering concussions.He never seemed 2 be the same.
Isn't that why Porter was originally removed from the starter's role ??? - concussions?

Porter sure plays like he is dizzy in the head. How about that fumble the other night. I don't remember seeing anyone run with the ball like that since high school. Betty White could have knocked that ball loose.

8)

Not as I recall. . . to my recollectoin, he was removed as starter because he wasn't cutting it. . . and Glenn was performing better.

He's had knee and ankle dings during his CFL tenure, but if you want to speculate why Porter apparently has difficulty holding on the the ball, the genesis of this may be in a 2003 college game that he played while the starter at Boston College where his right (throwing) hand was hit by a helmet from a late hit out of bounds.

[url=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores103/103312/20031108NCAAFBOSTCOLL--0nr.htm]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores10 ... L--0nr.htm[/url]

He missed the last three games of the 2003 campaign.

He was redshirted at Boston College in 2004, lost his starting job to Matt Ryan during the 2005 season, and the rest is Atlanta Falcons history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinton_Porter

Whether this theory is true or not from a physiological standpoint is beyond my competence as a layman/fan. However, the butterfingers aspect of Porter even when holding the ball in two arms (the late fumble at the Montreal goal line a case in point two weeks ago)...it suggests that it didn't help in this regard.

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

Case in point.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09jH4magnl3uy/x610.jpg

Oski Wee Wee,

Russ

I want to know what he is grinning about??

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/article/272309--ticats-learn-their-lessons]http://www.thespec.com/sports/ticats/ar ... ir-lessons[/url]
Bellefeuille said there isn’t a change under way in the quarterback depth chart, despite the fact third-stringer Adam Tafralis saw significantly more playing time mopping up for Kevin Glenn than No. 2 man Quinton Porter. “They’ve been alternating who gets to finish games and this was Adam’s turn but because there was so much time left in the game we wanted to give Quinton a couple of series,? Bellefeuille said.
...Why Marcel, WHY!

Marcel probably doesn't want to upset or rock the boat. However, if Porter drops another ball on the goal line heads should roll!