Tad Crawford

now i know we r thin at saftey and some people agree that shaw isnt the man, do i see us taking this guy with our first pick? possible, its gnna be between him and a DLineman, who do u think will get taken first??

• Tad Crawford – Free Safety (Columbia): Saturday morning’s reviews of Crawford were mixed at best, when his relatively slender physique and his decision to skip the bench press test (due to a minor injury concern) left many questioning his competitiveness and concerned about his ability to provide a physical presence. However, Saturday afternoon and Sunday he erased most of those doubts by consistently topping the DB group in the assessments of athleticism and movement. Most impressive were his times in the 40-yard dash (second among all prospects) and the 20-yard shuttle (fastest).

a lot of the worlds fastest runners cant play football worth a damn, specially tackle.

I really like Gauthier... you have to remember that CFL draft picks are like lottery tickets... most of the time they could go either way.

i wish my lottery ticket could go either way

Some of the numbers on these two players look pretty good, however, I find it difficult to get excited about a 5'9" back or and offensive lineman coming in at 33 years of age.

Hope they appease my apprehension in each case.

[quote=“Blitz21” Most impressive were his times in the 40-yard dash (second among all prospects) and the 20-yard shuttle (fastest).
[/quote]
he may have been among the fastest of players there, but that’s damning him with faint praise. his quickest time was 4.69 in the 40, and that’s pretty pedestrian. i’d like a little more speed back there, please.
i don’t think he’s worth a first overall pick.
and i’d like to see a lot of upper-body strength in my safeties — such as with hitchcock. someone who can rip the ball out, make an arm tackle if need be or carry a receiver on his back for 15 or 20 yards after an interception, as we saw hitchcock do three or four seasons ago.
i know this isn’t a popular opinion around here, but i think wayne shaw is an excellent safety — he knocked out two starting quarterbacks last year, didn’t get beat deep, is effective on the blitz, can play corner in an emergency (where he is still a coveted ‘ratio-buster’) and fills in well on the inside seams. he had as good a season as barron miles in b.c.

[quote author="ticatguy"]

he may have been among the fastest of players there, but that's damning him with faint praise. his quickest time was 4.69 in the 40, and that's pretty pedestrian. i'd like a little more speed back there, please.
i don't think he's worth a first overall pick.
and i'd like to see a lot of upper-body strength in my safeties — such as with hitchcock. someone who can rip the ball out, make an arm tackle if need be or carry a receiver on his back for 15 or 20 yards after an interception, as we saw hitchcock do three or four seasons ago.
i know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but i think wayne shaw is an excellent safety — he knocked out two starting quarterbacks last year, didn't get beat deep, is effective on the blitz, can play corner in an emergency (where he is still a coveted 'ratio-buster') and fills in well on the inside seams. he had as good a season as barron miles in b.c.

You're quoting the electronic time for Crawford at the E-Camp there - those are always slower than the hand held times, which I believe are the more tradional 40 times for football - and Crawford had a best 4.53 (2nd fastest) at the recent CFL Combine - I don't know about Hitchcock in his prime's best 40 time, but I doubt it was that fast and IMO he was about the best CFL safety back in the day; Wayne Shaw is a veteran good CFL DB, who can probably play all positions in the D-backfied, and while he's been OK at safety, like to see a bigger hitter/tackler and a guy who makes more INTs there - Shaw might make a great nickel back + a valuable vet presence & back-up at all positions in the D-backfield; Crawford might be a great CFL safety prospect - in addition to his good testing numbers for speed & agility at the E-Camp, he was a league & team leading tackler in the Ivy League in US college ball; the likes of Beveridge, Gauthier and Glavic - bigger DBs - might also emerge as good safeties in real competition - which is a great thing - for/in TC.

He’s a tad small!

Do you mean he’s a “tad small” cause he’s bigger (quite a bit taller + heavier) than last year’s CFL all-star safety Barron Miles ? :roll: