Taaffe May Jump!

Need new staff, some with CFL experience

Drexl, how can you say Taaffe is obsessed with running the ball. You’d be hard pressed to find a game this season where we ran 25 times or more. Lumsden went over 200 against Winnipeg: 12 carries. Last night, Caulley went over 100 yds, 13 carries. And there are numerous performances like this over the course of the season.

We can run for 7 yds on first down and then on 2nd and 3 we’ll almost always call a pass. Why? Run for the first down! You just got 7 yards! We’re a good running team and we should run more, not less.

What you should be crying foul about is that our passing game is focused on 60 yard passes to the sidelines for 3 yard gains. That’s not going to win many games.

Taffe and his staff do nothing for the players. In discussions with some of the players they say that the things they want to d in practice make no sense. It has been evident to all during this season that the many mistakes, penalties and problems stem from poor to no coaching. How can a team in the CFL progress with coaches who know little about the CFL 3-down game and have spent their time coaching high school kids all there life. The player moral is still good but there needs to be some coaching to utilize the strengths of the players we have. Don't clean the player house clean out the inept coaching staff house and then we'll see a big difference. We are only a couple players away. The youth on this team will serve us for a long time.

Dramaman: Is this first hand information you have been given? If so…thanks for posting. Its valuable information. It sure points to why no improvements are happening.

i think the ticats blew it after the 2003 season, or whenever they hired greg marshall, way back then they should have hired stubler, install the 3-4 defence, and give him player personnel power to bring in his own guys, bob young always wants glamour hires, when he should have stuck with the meat and potatoes, stubler is blue collar, and he would probably have a run-heavy ball control turnover-free offense.

Dramaman, can you be more specific

so we can get an idea whether
their criticism is valid?

It is not uncommon for some players
to not support what coaches are doing.

All players have their own self interests.

Ron just look at our record and look at our schemes, none of these coaches understand Canadian football, Taafe included.

The last couple of weeks he has looked really tired. I like the way he seems to work with these young players. I believe Taffe will contemplate leaving but will, at the last minure stay.

I can’t totally disagree with your comment, Drexl.

but I would like Dramaman to
elaborate on what he said [below]

The ‘things they [the coaches] want
to do in practice make no sense.’

at least to the extent that
he feels comfortable with.

I have a particular interest
because I go to most practices.

IF they go after any other coach this offseason, make it Danny Barrett. Otherwise, as the cast of the High School Musical movie once said......"stick to the status quo".

NOPE, we need one guy, George Cortez, the guy is an offensive genus with an unbelievable track record as an oc but for whatever reason has never been a headcoach in this league. He turned Henry burris into the leagues MVP so just think of what he can do with an offence lead by Printers.

Just tell the guys on the field to "getcha getcha getcha getcha head in the game."

As unimpressed as I've been with Taaffe and his band of merry men all season long, you can't fire them after one season. Give him one more season with a real starting QB (not a washed-up lame duck with his best days in Edmonton long behind him) and a chance to go after talent to complement the strong core he already has. If your team is still terrible after next season, then fire him. But give him one more year to deliver some results.