Taaffe In Limbo

Taaffe's status Is In The Hands Of The New G.M.

December 05, 2007

The Hamilton Spectator

Things should be cleared up
for Charlie by the weekend.

click here

It will be a big improvement when Charlie hires
an experienced CFL Offensive Co-ordinator

so we will not have an O.C. who is tied to
using Charlie's Offensive System.

Jacques Chapdelaine could be that man.

He worked with Printers in his MVP season.

I thought Charlie would have been told by now whether he was going...or staying. Thats the sort of thing that needed to be cleared up before the hiring of Obie was announced. In the Spec piece, Charlie says its probably 50-50 that he will be around for 2008.
Thats no way to treat a head coach who was dealt a lousy hand by Marcel.

I have a feeling that like Milton said, if he is driving all the way up here from Maryland, that part of todays press conference will be to announce he will stay on.

[quote="ronfromtigertown"]It will be a big improvement when Charlie hires
an experienced CFL Offensive Co-ordinator

so we will not have an O.C. who is tied to
using Charlie's Offensive System.

Jacques Chapdelaine could be that man.
He worked with Printers in his MVP season.[/quote]

I'd definitely like to see that happen. And so would Casey, I'd imagine.

I think the big concern is D-Coordinator.

That's one reason I would consider Greg Marshall II for Head Coach.

The sequence of events goes like this

1. Charlie gets vote of confidence
    from President Scott Mitchell.

2. Hire new General Manager

3. Let our new G.M. meet with Charlie
    to see if his thinking is compatible

and if our new G.M. thinks that he
    will to be able to work well with him.

4. The President fires or keeps Charlie.

Well, both Charlie and Obie aren't spring chickens so maybe they will see eye to eye on things more than if there was a huge difference in age.

RFTT - I sincerely hope that it would be Obi firing Taaffe, NOT Mr. Mitchell (if that were to happen)...

Is Taffe,s contract guaranteed, if so keep him and make him earn it, if not send him packing!

ron wrote"The sequence of events goes like this

1. Charlie gets vote of confidence
    from President Sott Mitchell.

2. Hire new General Manager

3. Let our new G.M. meet with Charlie
    to see if his thinking is compatible

and if our new G.M. thinks that he
will to be able to work well with him.

1. The President fires or keeps Charlie.

Ron: Yeah, yeah. All I am saying is that surely Mitchell talked to Obie about Charlie before todays announcement. Obie knows all about Charlie's abilities. Perhaps Obie talked to Charlie before he accepted the job. Gone or staying. This mystery about Charlie should be unnecessary at this stage.
Oh weel. I guess thats pro football.

Obie was just on FAN590. When asked about Taaffe he was non-commital. He met Charlie today for the first time.
Not negative but far from a slam dunk too.This 'aint over.
Obie said he would decide within the next week.
Stay tuned.

obie was on primetime sports and said a decision would be made by next week if not earlier but didnt give a ringing endorsment of charlie

I wrote it that way at first
but on reflection I figured

The new G.M would tell Scott
that he wants the coach fired

and Scott who, as the President,
has the authority to fire him

would follow the G.M.'s wishes and
do the actual firing of the coach.

I have a feelijg that Charlie will be gone to Montreal.

1tccat you got that right. If I were Charlie I wouldn't get any new business cards printed at the moment. Reading between the lines of what Obie said, maybe he wants to see who else is available and interested in coming to Hamilton before he makes a move on Taafe.

An Argo-Cat fan

he certainly is in limbo. if anyone listened to or watched primetime sports tonight, bobcat had obie on and gave him numerous opportunities to endorse chuck as the coach and obie would not commit to anything only to say when asked when a decision would be made he said “sometime next week” if mitchell had any say in it, it certainly didn’t sound like it listening to obie.i think ritchie is his guy and he’s just talking to charlie because he has to. as for someone saying that charlie didn’t drive all this way to get a pink slip, well…he had no choice but to come and introduce himself as they have not met before so that means nothing the fact he drove up here.i can see craig landing back in b.c. and charlie-now that the parcel is back in habtown, it’s just a good fit for everyone.ritchie as HC and jake chapdelaine OC.
GOOD START.
CITY LEGEND

Taafe probably wanted to get a feel for the man. Ticats will look really bad if they fire Taafe after denying Montreal an opportunity to talk to him.

Funny things is if Mitchell didn't like Desjardins telling him to go write memos to Bob. He's going to find working with Obi pretty painful LOL!

Obie sounded a little more positive about Charlie in an interview on CHCH tonight. Said he chatted with Charlie today and will be chatting again soon.
I suppose Obie, who must have more contacts than you can shake a stick at, must know where all the Head Coach material is and who would be interested. I guess he will be stacking them up against Charlie now that he finally met him.
My guess...Charlie to Montreal. However I don't think Dave Ritchie would be an improvement from what I remember of him. Its also a young guys job these days. Greg Marshall (the other) would be my first choice even though he has not been a head coach. If he is available.
Dunno who else would fill the bill right now.

Thet said they will give him his chistmas gift notice if he stays or goes!How nice eh!Happy Holidays Taaffe