T.O. Sun article. Please add a comment to it

Found this on espn.com

It is sooooo all over the place

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

Dont forget the residual commercial/residential angle. Unless its in the right place and top shelf ammenities then it really is just a nice high school football/soccer stadium that we are asking the Tiger Cats to put up with for 9 dates a year.

Parking, visibility and access are the key. The football crowd may (not me) want to take a long walk from their parking spot to the stadium and spend hrs getting in and out of the place but will the other users.....soccer moms, concert goers etc put up with it.

Since we're on the subject of naming rights, I have a question. Since visibility by a major highway is soooooo important to the Ticats in order to sell naming rights to a corporate sponsor, and if a sponsor is found who would contribute, say, a very generous $500,000 a year for five years at the Ticats preferred location, and pays it in one lump sum up front (a total of $2.5 million), who is going to come up with the other $47.5 million needed to build a 20,000-30,000 seat stadium? With so much money still needed to build a suitable stadium, why is the naming-rights-based-on-stadium-location issue so important in the grand scheme of things? :roll: Maybe naming rights to the stadium's washrooms should be sold to make up the difference of that $47.5 million? You just know there will be constant traffic passing through and past those doors during a game, so there's a lot of visibility there.:smiley:
And please don't try to convince anyone that naming rights for this stadium in this city will garner more money than that.

Earl wrote:

"And downtown Hamilton may be what the corporate world deems as about the worst of the worst in Canada image-wise so no way is anyone going to touch this one. Seems that way to me. At least not right now."

Earl: You said a ton right there!
That's why partnerships are so important. When the PR department at BMO, Primus or whoever are pitching a stadium naming rights proposal to their boss it much easier if they can show some other big company is also interested in being a sponsor of the stadium in some other area.
In Hamiton's case, finding someone to invest millions in naming rights downtown would be a lot easier if some big local company (Tim Horton's, US Steel?) would also get involved at some level.
I think the Cleveland example is a very creative way to add revenue.