Swervin Mervin

Does anyone remember this reciever. I was so young when he was playing, but I just remeber seeing him and Dewalt go to town sometimes. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to him. Did he go to the NFL, or did he retire, did he set any records? That was a great team, plus they had Lui!
I should probably put this in the lions forum, but I want to get everyones reaction to "SWERVIN"

Fernandez had a good career with the Oakland Raiders after leaving the BC Lions. He came back for part of one year before he retired but age had caught up with him and he wasn't able to rekindle the early years.
The last I heard of him he was living in California. I saw his son playing in one of the Bowl games this year. He is a WR also.

don’t remember him playing, but his name is one I don’t think I’ll ever forget. My older brothers (graduated HS 86 and 87) used to talk about him all the time and would use “swervin mervin” as a adjetive to describe fast elusive players…

Didn’t know he played in the CFL.

One of the fastest receivers to play up here. You are right. Dewalt and Swervyn Mervyn hooked up often. Double blue is correct. Mervyn caught the attention of the Oakland Raiders where he had a pretty decent career in the NFL.

Hey thanx guys. I was just thinking of him and was wondering what happened. Obviously good things. Great to hear.
Thanks again

He was the tops, for the time..had a pretty good NFL career also..
Great combination, Dewalt to swervin Mervin ...Touch down..
I remember the Days oh so well, thats when BC place was packed to the roof..

....till the Pez took things over....then the roof fell in.....Mervin ...one helluva' receiver....but who was better as a Lion.. Sporty....Willie Flemming ...or Merv....it would be an interesting poll... :?:

Comparing Apples to Oranges. Flemming was the running back, or Full back as they used to call them way back when. Fernadez was a wide receiver.

I could be wrong, but I think during the 50th anniversary, both made the Lions "Dream Team." Someone might be able to confirm or correct me on that.

Both were very popular in their own time.

What happened to Roy Dewalt? I would be curious to know that as well if any of you know. I was just a very young guy (maybe 10) when that all went down.
I will never forget the way Dewalt would twist and turn his upper body to keep it limber. When me and my friends would get together to play some ball, I would always do that and they would ask "Why do you do that"
Cause Roy Dewalt does.
It is also worth mentioning that I lived in Edmonton at the time. I was born a Lions Fan. YEAH!

Dewalt I think was signed by the Bombers in 1988 or 1989 after his days with the Lions, but because of injury or just being washed up by then, he never last long there. Where he is now or what happened after the late 80's I do not know.