Support Our Troops Night

Before the season starts, I would like to suggest that the team have a "Support Our Troops" game, so that the team has plenty of time to pick an appropriate date and have time to organize this type of event.

FIrst off I want to keep politics out of this Forum, I do not want people to debate if our troops should be in this country or that country , brought home or not, I SIMPLY want us to show we support our troops, irrelevant of where our government thinks they should be.

I will try to provide some other links that shows the CFL already supports the Canadian Armed Forces in one way or another as well as other leagues. I think it is time for the Ticats to be a leader. We have unfortunately lost way too many of our troops and some of them have been from around this area.

"Chief of Defence Staff thanks CFL for supporting troops" and here is the link http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouve ... sp?id=2810

2007 CFL Playoffs, minute of silence for our troops http://cfl.ca/article/remembrance_day

"Lions Pride Travels Overseas" here is that link http://www.bclions.com/article/lions-pr ... s-overseas

City of Toronto has support our troops decals on Fire, EMS and Police Vehicles http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada

I have seen those decals on the Halton Police Cars, sorry can not find a link

Hamilton Police Support Our Troops, http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Commun/ml- ... sp?id=3002

Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators, http://www.dnd.ca/site/Commun/ml-fe/art ... sp?id=3390

If I had more time, I am sure I could find even more, but just wanted to show that there are plenty of other organizations that are not afraid to show their support for our troops.

And I will finish by saying :thup: :thup: to Don Cherry on Coach's Corner who does a tribute to the individual soldiers each time we have lost one, which has been too many.

Great Idea !!

The Toronto Argonauts have a deal for Emergency personal this year. Emergency Services Personal can purchase Season tickets and receive up to 39 % off. In addition, the Argonauts are having a Hero night on September 11, 2009 vs the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Emergency Services Personal and purchase discounted tickets for this game.

The Tiger-Cats should follow this GREAT idea !! :thup:

The people of Afghanistan should be showing support for our troops since thats who they're helping. Our troops there are not protecting us in any way whatsoever.

A very good idea. :thup:

As a practical matter, I don't think it is possible to separate the idea of "supporting the troops" from the political or policy question of whether you support having Canadian military personnel in combat missions such as the one in Afghanistan. Those who advocate showing "support for the troops" tend to be in favour of the mission; those who oppose the mission as a matter of policy would undoubtedly find it difficult to "support" the troops in that mission.

I like the idea being discussed here

also, you can post messages of support to our troops in the Canadian Armed Forces website.

[url=http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Commun/message/message-view-voir-eng.asp]http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Commun/mes ... ir-eng.asp[/url]

Since I use to be one of the troops (76-92) I think this is a good idea, particularly now. When I served, the attitude of Canadians wasn't support the troops as much as it was %$#@ the troops, so any form of support is most welcome and maybe a little over due. :thup:

Today in the Edmonton Sun

KANDAHAR -- Tiger Williams settled onto the bench in front of our quarters at Kandahar Airfield.

The NHL's legendary tough guy was decked out in the kit of the Canadian Forces, "Tiger" name tag velcroed into place, the ever-present dust coating his combat boots, fresh from visiting the troops at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Wilson the night before.

He was helicoptered up "over the wire," as they say here (outside the umbrella of the relative security of KAF) along with former NHLer Troy Crowder and Glass Tiger frontman Alan Frew and keyboardist Sam Neil. They went to get a close look at what our troopers face near the front lines and give them a few minutes of respite, the NHLers playing a little ball hockey and Frew and Neil giving an unplugged mini-concert.

"When I get back (to Canada), this month is when I have to send in my quarterly taxes. That's the only day I'll feel good about it after last night," he rasped. "I might even give them a tip."

That pretty much summed up the feelings of many of the members of Team Canada, the collection of NHL alumni, five-time Juno winners Glass Tiger and Ottawa's Amanda Rheaume Band who spent six days at Kandahar playing ball hockey with the troops and putting on a full-blown concert. It was an experience Team Canada members said changed their perceptions of what Canada is doing in Afghanistan and forged a new appreciation for our armed forces, one experience at a time.

There was a rocket attack at KAF the afternoon of the day Team Canada arrived and the reality of what our soldiers, airmen and sailors face was hammered home the second day when three Canadian soldiers were killed by a roadside bomb. Perhaps the moments that will stay the longest with me were those on the tarmac at KAF when Team Canada had the opportunity to attend the ramp ceremony with thousands of fighting men and women from around the world to honour the fallen soldiers, their flag-draped caskets loaded into a Hercules aircraft for the first leg of their trip home.

"I was stunned by the silence. It was deafening was what it was," said Hall of Famer Lanny McDonald of the ceremony to honour Warrant Officer Dennis Brown, Cpl. Kenneth O'Quinn and Cpl. Dany Fortin.

McDonald, the father of two sons, was overwhelmed by what he had seen and heard in the wake of the deaths of the soldiers.

"It is not going to change the course or the determination. If anything, it makes them more steadfast," said McDonald. "The attitude is 'we need to change this, change it for the little girls who can go to school now.' "

McDonald was the most popular of the NHL alumni, giving tirelessly of his time, signing countless autographs and often wandering off at the mess hall or across a dusty road to meet soldiers and hear their stories.

"Hi, I'm Lanny. What's your name? Where you from?" he said countless times.

What became clear was the high regard in which McDonald was held by his peers.

"Is Lanny here?" they'd ask before our bus would pull out. When told he was, they'd say, "OK, we can go."

It was in the way they made fun of his dancing, former Flames teammates Perry Berezan and Colin Patterson mimicking his "disco" moves. The Lanny Mac Dancers took the stage at the end of the band's performance in Kandahar and formed a chorus line with soldiers while Glass Tiger sang Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone. It was the bittersweet moment of the trip.

Minutes later we were on the bus to attend the ramp ceremony for the fallen soldiers. That was the trip, a jumble of emotions.

Former Ottawa Senators goaltender Ron Tugnutt visited the base hospital and met Sapper Darryl Dawson, the 23-year-old from Whitby, who was driving the vehicle in which the three soldiers died after it was blown up by an improvised explosive device. Dawson scrambled to help a soldier wounded in the blast.

"Less than 24 hours after it happened, here was this young man in front of me saying he still had a lot of fight left in him," said Tugnutt. "Your legs just turn to marshmallow. He was so strong."

Dawson told me the story of getting a coin from Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Walt Natynczyk in the hospital and fulfilling a promise he had made to Cpl. Fortin. Earlier in their tour, they had been on parade and hadn't received the coveted souvenir coins given out by commanding officers because of a mix-up.

Dawson told Fortin he would get them coins. When the CDS heard the story from hospital staff, he gave Dawson a coin for Fortin, too.

"That made me happy that (the general) got me the extra coin. I got Dany a better coin than I said I'd get him. I got on the plane and said good-bye," said Dawson, who placed the coin on the pillow atop the casket, along with Fortin's beret and a medal he received.

Here is the link of the entire article http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Canada/ ... 6-sun.html

What nonsesne. Canada at large has NEVER been hostile to its armed forces. At worst it may have been indifferent only because it has had a much lower profile than in recent years.

Gotta love the internet. You can say anything or pretend to be anything and make believe its true.

Actually Zontar, there have been a few times in the past 40 years or so when the public support of the troops was hostile. 1972 FLQ crisis. 1990 in Oka (we had to be VERY careful back then). 1993 Somalia. Not everyone was against the troops, but there were quite a few who were openly hostile. It is only after the Ice Storm, the Red River Flood, our continued Peacekeeping efforts in the Balkans, Middle East, and Haiti, the Swissair disaster, and, of course, the war we have been involved in for the past 8 years that public support/appreciation of the Canadian Forces has been at an all-time high since WWII.

I agree sigpig there has been isolated , negative things but Canadian society as a whole have never been outwardly anti military per se.

You forgot "Operation snowshovel" in toronto.

I support our Canadian Troops. It's a complex, tough situation where we could have just as easily looked the other way and saved Canadian money. That would be the easy choice.

Great idea and I think all teams should get involved in it. Complete with a fly over at kickoff and a military band at halftime. Have the local cadets selling the 50-50's and do it up top notch.

Outwardly Hostile: No. Indifferent, snooty, rude and apathetic: Yes. The army guys loved going on exercise to the USA. I can't tell you how many of them kept saying how much better they were treated there than back home. I knew several retreaded army guys who were posted with the 1RCR battalion in London. They hated London because of the lousy treatment they got from the locals. Even in Greenwood NS, my first posting in 77, you were not treated all that kindly if you wandered to far off the base. That's not everybody. It certainly doesn't speak for Canadians as a whole but it has been my experience that Canadians love the military when they needed us, but the rest of the time.....!

Anyway, this is as far as I will go with this. The request was that this not get political. But I do agree that a support the troops day would be a great idea. Hope the Tiger Cats are listening.

Agreed, deerkeeper, with apologies.

HUH?

What is unclear to you? My point is that our troops in Afghanistan are there to help that nation find stability. Our troops are not defending Canada as there is no war.

I am in full support of our troops being there but I’m also not lost in some delusion that they are serving us Canadians by being there. Other than being Canadian soldiers their purpose in Afghanistan has nothing to do with Canada at all.

Yes it does.

Same as WW1 and WW2 had to do with Canada also. It’s called protecting what we have here by putting down the threats before they arrive on our shore. (Hitler
Bin Laden etc.)

Also, we are obligated by NATO to participate in certain things. (not all things, but most). We can’t just sit back and enjoy the safety of NATO without contributing.

The difference here is that there is no actual war going on and there is no threat to Canada.