Super Bowl LVIII - Feb.11 Game Day Thread

Blackouts back in the 1970s and 1980s (perhaps even before) also caused long term damage in terms of retaining or even having a connection to fans.

There might be some owners that still believe blackouts are a good thing.

Can’t compel fans to part with their money unless you give them a reason to.

1 Like

Again, that was a league doctrine, not on the networks.

1 Like

That’s what I was referring to (should have clarified that point, my apologies).

TV networks would want what their putting on to reach as many people as possible even locally.

2 Likes

No need to apologize. We are in agreement on this.

1 Like

Thanks.

Still think they should Netflix for potential TV deal if available.

Thoughts?

The Grey Cup on CTV wouldn’t draw anywhere near what the Super Bowl did.

2 Likes

If people complain about the games being on TSN instead of CTV, considering that TSN has a very low cost and very high market penetration (included in almost all cable packages), can you imagine the howls if the CFL broadcasts were behind yet another, more expensive, paywall?

4 Likes

It might of if they started back in 2008 onwards.

Also promoting your products you’re broadcasting will also help.

1 Like

I was thinking more of an international reach.

TSN will still have Canadian rights.

1 Like

At least for me, while at one time it was a big issue for me to compare Grey Cup ratings with Super Bowl ratings, it’s no longer an issue with me as the NFL with much more money now than they used to have and clout and with how Canadians “feel” themselves more cosmopolitan than they were decades ago and I think wanting to feel themselves more citizens of a big North American and world event, well it should be natural how the ratings have gone. TSN is doing a great job IMHO with the much more limited resources and fortunately TSN also does the best league in the world, the NFL, all football to me, and getting excellent ratings for the NFL, the league that actually really counts the most to most gridiron football fans in the world. And is the barometer of gridiron on a world scale compared with other pro sports leagues at the major league level.

When people ask me what I like better, the NFL or CFL, I ask them to rephrase the question and ask me what I like better, the NFL or MLB, NHL, NBA. The CFL just isn’t the issue for me with this type of questioning. As I’ve come to see this and as someone who loves watching the CFL nevertheless and the Grey Cup.

1 Like

I have no idea what the Bell NFL contract is worth but I’d imagine it’s significantly more than the CFL one.

1 Like

It’s gotta to be more. I mean they are basically blocking US ads (simsubbing) to recoup some of the cost during the Super Bowl.

But Bell hasn’t and won’t say how much they paid as a private enterprise.

Other US networks are happy to publish what deals they signed.

Maybe that’s why Bell couldn’t match Rogers offer for the NHL back in 2013.

1 Like

I wonder why Bell doesn’t publish financial details of their agreement with the NFL?

I dunno. It would have to be simulcast on both. Not sure what the international numbers would be. Couldn’t hurt for the league to do market research.

1 Like

NDAs? Confidentiality? For all I know, they may publish it in the financials for shareholder meetings. I guess it all depends on what’s in the contract.

I’d be willing to speculate, however, that purchasing NFL rights costs less than producing CFL games, since they just play the feed as it comes in, rather than have all the personnel and equipment costs.

4 Likes

You will know every time they layoff or shutdown radio or news stations meaning that they made a profit.

Paramount+ also laid off employees after achieving profits.

2 Likes

The CRTC is also to blame for licensing without some conditions like Canadian content in terms of production.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how that would work in a practical sense. Would they have to use Canadian PBP announcers? Using that same model, if they buy rights and broadcast a network show like, say, Friends, would they then need to insert Canadian voice actors over the original dialogue?

I doubt that. I think it’s substantially more.

I can’t see how the rights to tap into the NFL feed wouldn’t be way cheaper than the $50 million they pay the CFL annually plus all of the production costs.

It could be said that TSN is doing the CFL a favour with their contract as obviously they make way more on the NFL. Even if they paid the same, there is double the audience for the NFL so the ad revenue would be much higher. The true cost is much more than $50 million annually to TSN when you factor in production costs including salaries for on air and behind the scenes personnel, travel, equipment, etc.

Now presumably TSN still makes money on their CFL broadcasts. If they didn’t the CFL would be in trouble and might not have a broadcast partner in the future and if they did it would likely be for far less money. If you think it’s bad that the CFL is broadcast on cable instead of over the air TV such as CTV, it would be a lot worse if the CFL was only broadcast on Netflix or some other specialty channel or via streaming only and would cost the consumer far more to watch.

Be careful what you wish for.

4 Likes